According to U.N, Somaliland is far less populous than Puntland. Hargeisa is smaller than Bosaso

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Somaliland is to succeed in having its claims to statehood recognised internationally, the question of how many people live in the country and what proportion of them want independence is an important one. In early 2013, the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) began a project to collect census data in Somaliland, Puntland, and southern Somalia. By April, preliminary figures suggested (accurately or otherwise) that the population of Hargeisa was significantly smaller than that of the port city of Bosasso in Puntland, and that Burao (Somaliland) was also smaller than Garowe (Puntland). Citing this and other methodological concerns, Somaliland’s Minister of Planning suspended the count.

Why did khat-land shut down the census when the initial numbers came out?

If Somaliland’s population were shown to be significantly smaller than previously claimed and/or smaller than Puntland, then this (along with the fact that perhaps 30 per cent of Somalilanders already oppose independence) could further compromise Somaliland’s claim that it constitutes a viable sovereign entity. “

Source: Political Settlements and State: Formation: The Case of Somaliland
Author: Sarah Phillips, Associate Professor University of Sydney

@Yonis
@Abdalla

Here the learned professor estimates the population of Hargesia to be at most, and with a generous eye, no more than 400,000, and Somaliland as a whole around two million:

a tendency to in exaggerate population figures has an important bearing on the ideological foundations of Somaliland…In 2010, the Government of Somaliland claimed that the national population was 3.4 million people (Government of Somaliland, 2010: 63);30 the figure that appears on the government’s own website in 2013 is 3.5 million. The Minister of Planning noted, however that “No one really knows the figure. [The figure of 3.5 million] comes from an extrapolation from a 1975 census, figuring that there was about 2.2 per cent population growth.”31 The urban population figure for Hargeisa is similarly vague. The City of Hargeisa’s website claims that the capital’s population was 1.2 million in 2000, and the figure of ‘around one million’ receives wide, albeit anecdotal, circulation among the city’s residents. The 2010 government document cited above estimates Hargeisa’s urban population to around 680,000, which is one-fifth of its estimate for the total population. However, a conservative estimate of Hargeisa’s urban area based on satellite imagery from Google Maps, suggests an area of – at most – about 47 square kilometres. For an area of this size, a population of even 680,000 would mean that Hargeisa’s population density (14468 people per square kilometre) would vastly outweigh that of Singapore, Mexico City, Beijing and Cairo, and be roughly equivalent to that of Manila. A walk through main streets of Hargeisa highlights the outlandishness of this estimate. A more reasonable approximation of Hargeisa’s population, therefore, might be one based on the urban population density of Ethiopia’s second largest city Dire Dawa (urban population 284,000) which, based on observations of the two centres, is probably conservative. Based on satellite imagery, Dire Dawa’s urban centre is just over 34 square kilometers, and from population statistics published by UN Habitat, one can estimate that there are roughly 8300 people per square kilometre in the city (UN Habitat 2008). If one extrapolates this density to Hargeisa’s urban population we are left with a figure of just under 400,000 people. If Hargeisa’s population does indeed represent roughly one-fith of Somaliland’s total population, as suggested by the government’s 2010 estimates, then the total number of Somaliland’s inhabitants might only be around two million.

No wonder the ictiraf hasn't arrived. The international community has long seen through the khat-fed delusions and knows that the langaabs up north can never become a nation. :chrisfreshhah::chrisfreshhah:

Watch some uneducated khat-chewer youths, probably sitting in council homes in the UK, rush into this thread to accuse a non-Somali Australian professor of being "biased" against Somaliland. These people can't handle the truth. :russ:

Cumar

Ilaahay Gargaaryeey Gabiley Qurux Badanaa
VIP
If you honestly believe that Hargeysa has only 400,000 residents in 2018, then I think it is you who's gotta lay off the khat my friend.

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
Tbh Hargeisa is tiny compared to the cities I've seen with more than a million inhabitants.

400-500k sounds about right.

Also the 2 million figure overlaps with people living across the borders with Puntland and Hawd.

Always wondered if around 4 million people live in Somaliland , a semi arid region of the north Somalia, how could only double that population live in lush regions of the south,

Are these people really that delushional? Puntland isn't even bigger than southwest State let alone Somaliland. The inferiority complex you guys have is hilarious.

Puntland population estimate in 2016 was 2.2 million. Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puntland

If you add Bari, Nugaal and half of Mudug which puntland control is around 2 million. But when you add Awdal, Woqooyi Galbeed, Togdheer, Sanaag and Sool is twice the size of Puntland or even higher. The source you have shown claims the whole Mudug, the whole Sanaag and the whole Sool. So you're basically claiming Habar Gidir lands, Habar Yoonis lands and Habar Jeclo lands according to your source. You really are pathetic.

There are estimations of Somaliland being 4 million. Hargeisa alone is more than one million and is bigger than all 4 major cities of Puntland. Although (Galkayo is shared with Galmudug)

Here is the source of Somaliland being 4 million. Here: http://somalia.unfpa.org/sites/defa...timation-Survey-of-Somalia-PESS-2013-2014.pdf

You've been debunked again you incompetent pathological liar.

Huncho

Blac Youngsta's brother
I'm actually currently in Hargeisa and it is indeed massive.The maps are deceiving and not accurate and it is ever expanding.

You have to also understand the average Somali home has for more people than a western home

Not to mention the fact that Isaaq is bigger than Darood in Somalia. Somaliland population alone is bigger than Puntland and Jubbaland combined. The source you have shown added whole Mudug, whole Sanaag and whole Sool so you're basically claiming Isaaq and Hawiye lands and their numbers. The truth is Puntland is 2.2 million since they only control Bari, Nugaal and half of Mudug. Somaliland is around 4 million or higher.

Here is 1960 estimation of Somali clans in Somalia.

C0jUZiSQTPujn8jpMRAoNw.png

Always wondered if around 4 million people live in Somaliland , a semi arid region of the north Somalia, how could only double that population live in lush regions of the south,
Those numbers are fake the un groups lie to get more donation the real numbers are 1/3 of it.
Not to mention the fact that Isaaq is bigger than Darood in Somalia. Somaliland population alone is bigger than Puntland and Jubbaland combined. The source you have shown added whole Mudug, whole Sanaag and whole Sool so you're basically claiming Isaaq and Hawiye lands and their numbers. The truth is Puntland is 2.2 million since they only control Bari, Nugaal and half of Mudug. Somaliland is around 4 million or higher.

Here is 1960 estimation of Somali clans in Somalia.

C0jUZiSQTPujn8jpMRAoNw.png
This study was proven fake
They used camels to make estimates few years later head count was done on 2 groups and the real population turned out to be 50% smaller.
Ps: even in the inflated 2014 study you posted says your wrong i bet you didn't know that they broke down the population estimates by districts:dead:

Those numbers are fake the un groups lie to get more donation the real numbers are 1/3 of it.

This study was proven fake
They used camels to make estimates few years later head count was done on 2 groups and the real population turned out to be 50% smaller.
Ps: even in the inflated 2014 study you posted says your wrong i bet you didn't know that they broke down the population estimates by districts:dead:

The estimation is real. You're mad that Sa'ad Muuse, Habar Yoonis and Habar Jeclo is bigger than your langaab Dhulbahante clan. They didn't use camels, I will post a source to shut you up with your lies.

Here and read: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eK6SBJIckIsC&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=Iidagalle+population&source=bl&ots=mP52T_pNtv&sig=EqlI9eYb5q_186QA6UV-zw7NMD0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVzuK15ObZAhXsJsAKHaHhATcQ6AEIMDAA#v=onepage&q=Iidagalle Yuunis population&f=false

They were British population counters those times and they were going around the world to estimate different tribes including Somalis and it's been proven factual since they stayed 5 years doing this process so you have been disproven my friend.

Lastly, did you not read the authentic source from above? Somaliland is estimated to be 4 million or above.

The estimation is real. You're mad that Sa'ad Muuse, Habar Yoonis and Habar Jeclo is bigger than your langaab Dhulbahante clan. They didn't use camels, I will post a source to shut you up with your lies.

Here and read: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eK6SBJIckIsC&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=Iidagalle+population&source=bl&ots=mP52T_pNtv&sig=EqlI9eYb5q_186QA6UV-zw7NMD0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVzuK15ObZAhXsJsAKHaHhATcQ6AEIMDAA#v=onepage&q=Iidagalle Yuunis population&f=false

They were British population counters those times and they were going around the world to estimate different tribes including Somalis and it's been proven factual since they stayed 5 years doing this process so you have been disproven my friend.

Lastly, did you not read the authentic source from above? Somaliland is estimated to be 4 million or above.
I read the British book about the survey itself that book you linked which I also have is different has nothing to do with the british government who did the estimates:O27GWRK:
The book you linked was done in 1960s by different guy
https://books.google.com/books/about/A_Pastoral_Democracy.html?id=yoMBQCr4LysC
The original British survey where those number came from
https://books.google.com/books/about/Report_on_General_Survey_of_British_Soma.html?id=sLrgYgEACAAJ
the link you gave disprove those numbers
Ex the british estimates claimed the farmining group in gibilay were 100k
Now let me show the numbers of the largest sub group inside sacad muse
M4fXXcv.jpg

16k men:cryinglaughsmiley:
This head count study was done in 1960
How could they number 50k men in in 1944 but 16k men in 1960:pachah1:

World

VIP
rjp1tc.png

Saad Muuse, Dhulbahante, and HJ are all the same size according to that study you liar. Only HY (who are divided and don't have a continuous territory) are larger than us. :camby:

Cumar

VIP
rjp1tc.png

Saad Muuse, Dhulbahante, and HJ are all the same size according to that study you liar. Only HY (who are divided and don't have a continuous territory) are larger than us. :camby:

He probably means that HA (Sacad Muuse+Ciise Muuse) is larger than Dhulbahante according to the british Survey.

However, yes you are correct in saying that Sacad Muuse and Dhulbahante were same size according to the british Survey.

Blade1

Ashy Abdi Representative
Wtf do somalis like lying about their population like not by a 10th by 50% wtf. Also how many somalis live in somalia and also greater somali republic and are we dying at a high rate or something like how the f*ck were be known for so long by so many and out population be shit. I know of their Chinese guy talking about his small town which was so small it wasn't even included in most maps this nigga had the audacity when we asked his town population to say it's 1 million
WTF_BITCH.gif

Cumar

VIP
OP, here is a more recent source from the UNFPA on estimated population by district in Somalia. They even estimated Hargiesa as the second largest district in Somalia with a population just shy of 1 million.
upload_2018-4-17_12-14-53.png

rjp1tc.png

There was a deeper estimate found. SM was 110 thousand while HJ was 113 thousand and Dhulbahante was only 104 thousand and I will post that survey very soon. Let me dig it up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending