A question for somalilanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
So do you believe Sland should just be an autonomous region?

I don't really know what I want for somaliland to become, all I resent is recognition, and reunification with a government in the state that it is such as the one now in Mogadishu.

Okay so I have been trying to understand this because of recent posts I've read here and throughout this forum.

I want to know and understand why you support the separation of somaliland from somalia (if you do). Real thoughtful reasons please, no offence at all I just want to understand. Everything I've seen and heard doesn't make sense and the arguments for unity are numerous so please be patient with me and explain.

Also I want to have a dialogue I don't want haters and qabilists involved nor any trolls, genuine dialogue. Thanks.

Firstly we have been an independent country for 25 years. So we have been
Separated for quite some time.

Do some research on the atrocities and the history leading up to Somalia being overtaken by a murderous dictator who wasn't elected first, read what lead up the civil war.

Before Somalia was colonised, every state had its own sultanate and local government according to tradition, this
Worked for thousands of years until the Europeans came and we all left and adopted this so called democracy of having one provincial government.

The old system worked. Somaliland receives less or little to no funding compared to Somalia. But we have
Done great things since our independence
By ourselves. We have taken in refugees from the south also, and have many puntlanders living there.

Why do puntlanders and Somalis from Somalia always use these wording 'why do Somalilanders want to separate' that would mean we're still together? Lol

:ayaanswag: Highly dismissive and disrespectful.

Simple answer is Somaliland has more to loose if it decided to reunite with Somalia
1. Somaliland has self rule and rules all the land it claims, except for 1 or 2 villages. Somalia on the other hand barely has full control over benadir

2. Somaliland is a democracy and has a 1 man 1 vote system, Somalia has a selection process

3. Somaliland has peace, Somalia is still going through a civil war

4. Somaliland has its capital hargeisa, Somalia has Xamar, if Somaliland was to fold they would be controlled by Xamar something the public would not be happy about

5. Somaliland united with Somalia to have a fair 50-50 government. Of course this was not the case. "Fool me once shame on you, fool me you can't fool me again"
All of this was done while still technically a part of somalia therefore somaliland wouldn't lose these things if it chooses to remain as it is until there is the same replicated all throughout. The capital thing is purely tribalism and I think once people are happy safe and secure with no discrimination this wouldn't matter like in other countries. Somaliland stands to lose the potential power of unity manpower land heritage sites and resources (this is just putting aside my sentimental somalinimo). Why give up the potential to be a strong independent nation to be a small Djibouti like country (no offence to me Djiboutian brothers and sisters). All great nations look to expand and Somalis look to Balkanize into countries smaller than US states it doesn't make sense.

Gambar

VIP
I don't really know what I want for somaliland to become, all I resent is recognition, and reunification with a government in the state that it is such as the one now in Mogadishu.
Autonomy is the best route (for now). It's not like the Xamar government can do anything. Toodey khaati uu joogaan.

From what I can gather, these are the 4 main reasons.
  • We have stability and you don't. It's been 26 years and there's no hope for the South. It's time to go our separate ways. Greater Somalia is dead.
  • We cannot forgive the Isaaq genocide, the SNM didn't fight for nothing. They liberated us from tyranny.
  • Even if we were to reunite, some tribes will always be looking to dominate all the other tribes. They can't let go of tribalism.
  • The South has refused to reconcile with us, and allow tribalist war criminals to roam free.
In summary, they are afraid of history repeating itself. Old wounds haven't healed and Xamar shows no remorse.

In my opinion, the first reason is bs. Their military could wipe out all the insurgents, but they are unwilling to help(albeit they have a good reason not to). To think that our worst enemy is "helping" should be humiliation enough, but they don't see it as a Somali embarrassment, it's more of a Southern problem to them. The separatist mindset doesn't allow for that collective type of thinking. They've forged a new identity for themselves.

The second reason is somewhat valid, but the SNM was wrong. All sides were wrong.

The 3rd reason is paranoia plain and simple. That type of thinking keeps us in the past. If one tribe dominates, that would mean all the other tribes are with you on the same boat, but you're selfishly concerned with yourself. And that means you're serving your own interests. If you want to oppose the dominating tribe, then keep the national interests at heart and not your own.

The final reason is credible. If Xamar keeps up this petty bullshit and all these criminals die free men, then I can't really blame the separatists for wanting independence. The only hope of reunification we'd have after that would be in the distant future with a (hopefully) smarter generation. Waaq willing, they'll be able to shatter the lens of tribalism, that is, if we haven't dissipated by then.

Do some research on the atrocities and the history leading up to Somalia being overtaken by a murderous dictator who wasn't elected first, read what lead up the civil war.

Before Somalia was colonised, every state had its own sultanate and local government according to tradition, this
Worked for thousands of years until the Europeans came and we all left and adopted this so called democracy of having one provincial government.

The old system worked. Somaliland receives less or little to no funding compared to Somalia. But we have
Done great things since our independce
By ourselves.

Why do puntlanders and Somalis from Somalia always use these wording 'why do Somalilanders want to separate' that would mean we're still together? Lol

I wasn't trying to be dismissive or disrespectful I meant officially separate, somaliland is still technically apart of Somalia.

Yes there were atrocities committed but I don't understand how separation is the solution, I've asked the others if a civil war broke out in somaliland would your solution be to further seperate into new countries?

And yes sis there were city states in the past all over the world, there were tons in many euro countries like Italy for example, imagine what they would be if they became 10 or so countries within the small country of Italy based on city states from medieval times, it's a different world now that doesn't work.

Sixth

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
Unionists love talking about unity while stabbing you behind the back. :idontlike:
Dhagaha fur warya.

Open the spoiler and never look back.

full

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

From what I can gather, these are the 4 main reasons.
  • We have stability and you don't. It's been 26 years and there's no hope for the South. It's time to go our separate ways. Greater Somalia is dead.
  • We cannot forgive the Isaaq genocide, the SNM didn't fight for nothing. They liberated us from tyranny.
  • Even if we were to reunite, some tribes will always be looking to dominate all the other tribes. They can't let go of tribalism.
  • The South has refused to reconcile with us, and allow tribalist war criminals to roam free.
In summary, they are afraid of history repeating itself. Old wounds haven't healed and Xamar shows no remorse.

In my opinion, the first reason is bs. Their military could wipe out all the insurgents, but they are unwilling to help(albeit they have a good reason not to). To think that our worst enemy is "helping" should be humiliation enough, but they don't see it as a Somali embarrassment, it's more of a Southern problem to them. The separatist mindset doesn't allow for that collective type of thinking. They've forged a new identity for themselves.

The second reason is somewhat valid, but the SNM was wrong. All sides were wrong.

The 3rd reason is paranoia plain and simple. That type of thinking keeps us in the past. If one tribe dominates, that would mean all the other tribes are with you on the same boat, but you're selfishly concerned with yourself. And that means you're serving your own interests. If you want to oppose the dominating tribe, then keep the national interests at heart and not your own.

The final reason is credible. If Xamar keeps up this petty bullshit and all these criminals die free men, then I can't really blame the separatists for wanting independence. The only hope of reunification we'd have after that would be in the distant future with a (hopefully) smarter generation. Waaq willing, they'll be able to shatter the lens of tribalism, that is, if we haven't dissipated by then.

Thanks aboowe, I agree with all of that except for the waaq willing part.

black

live and let die.

Done great things since our independence
By ourselves. We have taken in refugees from the south also, and have many puntlanders living there.

Don't be in an idiot. You're an autonomous region within Somalia. Independent =/= separate. The old system does not work in this century. We must move on from geeljire savagery. It is outdated and does not allow you to compete on the world state. There is a reason East Anglia, Mercia, Northumbria, Wessex etc. have ceased existing.

The biggest Munaafiqs are the people that hug and kiss war-criminals and invite xabashi and Kenyan troops into their capital and yet call us Somalidiid. I can't take them seriously.:chrisfreshhah::drakekidding:

Who here has done this? If the answer is no one and I'm sure it is, why say that?

I wasn't trying to be dismissive or disrespectful I meant officially separate, somaliland is still technically apart of Somalia.

Yes there were atrocities committed but I don't understand how separation is the solution, I've asked the others if a civil war broke out in somaliland would your solution be to further seperate into new countries?

And yes sis there were city states in the past all over the world, there were tons in many euro countries like Italy for example, imagine what they would be if they became 10 or so countries within the small country of Italy based on city states from medieval times, it's a different world now that doesn't work.

The international community will not acknowledge somaliland because of the huge oil resources, I have gone through this many times before.

My country is independent and has been for 25 years, do you think we need some
White dufarrs who can't even wipe their own arses properly to deter us? No it hasn't we are still functioning.

Let me put it in layman terms, by definition if somaliland was a autonomous region of Somalia the following would need to apply:

An autonomous administrative division is a subdivision or dependent territory of a country that has a degree of self-governance, or autonomy, from an extranal authority.

Somalia has no authority over us, you're country wouldn't even dare to tell us what to do.

Also alhamduillah we wouldn't wouldn't be plunged into a civil war, the atrocities that befell us won't be repeated Insha'Allah, so no chance of us separating from into tiny lil states as you put it.

Don't be in an idiot. You're an autonomous region within Somalia. Independent =/= separate. The old system does not work in this century. We must move on from geeljire savagery. It is outdated and does not allow you to compete on the world state. There is a reason East Anglia, Mercia, Northumbria, Wessex etc. have ceased existing.

Yes you made this point better than me, but avoid personal attacks and insults.

SomaliWadaniSoldier

Weeping for the Nation of 68
Interahamwe
VIP
Most Somalilanders feels they are ignored and neglected. They feel they dont get appreciation from Hawiye and Darod when it comes to power.
So because of that, they want to secede.
Also another factor is that there is high level of instability in Southern Somalia.
While in the North we see major signs of nationhood, law and order. The people yearn for democracy and all things that includes it such as same sex marriage, freedom to disbelieve and to believe (freedom of religion), freedom of press.

We see that same sex marriage, freedom of religion and freedom of press are nonexisting in South Somalia.
The human rights violations in South Somalia is alarming.
So all in all Somaliland is bacon for hope. Long live Somaliland and long live democracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.