A question for somalilanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I have been trying to understand this because of recent posts I've read here and throughout this forum.

I want to know and understand why you support the separation of somaliland from somalia (if you do). Real thoughtful reasons please, no offence at all I just want to understand. Everything I've seen and heard doesn't make sense and the arguments for unity are numerous so please be patient with me and explain.

Also I want to have a dialogue I don't want haters and qabilists involved nor any trolls, genuine dialogue. Thanks.

My brothers and sisters of Somaliland support seperation because the government of Somalia still doesn't want peace and prosperity. They have ignored the elephant in the room(somaliland) and still allow people like Morgan to walk freely and go to Somalia and PL. They do not want to be part of a government that does not know what it is doing, they feel no connection to the government in xamar. They saw how Djibouti is better off and want to follow in their footsteps. I support Somaliland's re-recognition until there is a fully democratic government in Somalia. Once there is, we can unite all Somali peoples, but for now Somaliland is better off by itself. Somalia can't defend itself anyway so there is no point.

My brothers and sisters of Somaliland support seperation because the government of Somalia still doesn't want peace and prosperity. They have ignored the elephant in the room(somaliland) and still allow people like Morgan to walk freely and go to Somalia and PL. They do not want to be part of a government that does not know what it is doing, they feel no connection to the government in xamar. They saw how Djibouti is better off and want to follow in their footsteps. I support Somaliland's re-recognition until there is a fully democratic government in Somalia. Once there is, we can unite all Somali peoples, but for now Somaliland is better off by itself. Somalia can't defend itself anyway so there is no point.

Yeah I understand that the instability is off putting. But every nation especially all great nations have went through decades some centuries of civil strife, the people persevered and worked through it. No nation is immune to this, xamar isn't a special city and the constant instability is because it is the capital. It is common knowledge that in order to destroy a country you must capture the capital, and this is why the people of that city have suffered.. how can you blame them? If someone wanted to destroy somaliland they would target hargeisa and succeed, it's not blame on the people of that city. And yes there are still 101 issues with the government but it's just emerging out of a 20+ civil war, why not advocate for justice and rounding up of former warlords and criminals. Like if today civil war broke out in somaliland would your solution be to further divide? And to what end? The only thing Djibouti has going for it is peace it is still an impoverished people who are used by other stronger nations, why do you aspire to that? Also it's not a game you can't join and rejoin a country it's not that simple. Separation would cause irreversible damage and doom us to being a bunch of little Djiboutis forever.

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
I'm not for recognition although being the son and grandson of SNM fighters, however I do not support the idea of reunion with the current system in Mogadishu simply because of their arrogance in not being able to be open and honest about what occurred nearly three decades ago.

Members of the previous regime who were key in the build up to the outrageous activities that were carried out in the second largest somali city hargeisa still receive hugs and warm welcomes by the southern politicians, so how do they expect us to stretch our necks above such people and behave as if everything is all good?

I'm not for recognition although being the son and grandson of SNM fighters, however I do not support the idea of reunion with the current system in Mogadishu simply because of their arrogance in not being able to be open and honest about what occurred nearly three decades ago.

Members of the previous regime who were key in the build up to the outrageous activities that were carried out in the second largest somali city hargeisa still receive hugs and warm welcomes by the southern politicians, so how do they expect us to stretch our necks above such people and behave as if everything is all good?

I completely understand and agree with this sentiment, but don't you think advocating for justice is the right path
and joining like minded people to achieve peace and greatness on the basis of somalinimo and not qabyalad (which is what I believe all regional administration to be based upon). I just don't understand how separation is a solution.

and I'll ask you too, if civil war broke out in somaliland and atrocities committed would you advocate to further divide somaliland? And how far would you take this?

black

live and let die.

Democracy will never save Somalia. It is a pipe dream. I would 100% support an authoritarian dictatorship in Somaliland.

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
I completely understand and agree with this sentiment, but don't you think advocating for justice is the right path
and joining like minded people to achieve peace and greatness on the basis of somalinimo and not qabyalad (which is what I believe all regional administration to be based upon). I just don't understand how separation is a solution.

and I'll ask you too, if civil war broke out in somaliland and atrocities committed would you advocate to further divide somaliland? And how far would you take this?

The point isn't about further division and separation sister, it is whether the other side will either enact justice or handover the criminals so that we may enact it ourselves.

The only issue here is this seems very unlikey, last year when the documentary "Kill all but the crows" was published on Al jaseera on YouTube, the Somalia community online criticised it for lies and propaganda and we're quick to defend the war criminal former Col. Tuke, Tuke was in a position much lower in rank when compared to for example former general Morgan, so if the lesser criminal is strongly defended by the otherside, then there is obviously no chance of the bigger criminal receiving any sort of justice, at least from the Somali people.

This then will only lead us to continue our current ways.

Somalis are a proud people, I have never seen a Somali collective group of people admit fault to something or an event.

Unionists love talking about unity while stabbing you behind the back. :idontlike:

Idk what this is supposed to mean but don't worry I'm only asking to understand, discussing this won't magically seal somalilands fate to be with Somalia forever so please save the passive aggressiveness it is not necessary and does no good.

Gambar

VIP

So do you believe Sland should just be an autonomous region?

Dhay Geel

"Aar kow Dheh"
Simple answer is Somaliland has more to loose if it decided to reunite with Somalia
1. Somaliland has self rule and rules all the land it claims, except for 1 or 2 villages. Somalia on the other hand barely has full control over benadir

2. Somaliland is a democracy and has a 1 man 1 vote system, Somalia has a selection process

3. Somaliland has peace, Somalia is still going through a civil war

4. Somaliland has its capital hargeisa, Somalia has Xamar, if Somaliland was to fold they would be controlled by Xamar something the public would not be happy about

5. Somaliland united with Somalia to have a fair 50-50 government. Of course this was not the case. "Fool me once shame on you, fool me you can't fool me again"

The point isn't about further division and separation sister, it is whether the other side will either enact justice or handover the criminals so that we may enact it ourselves.

The only issue here is this seems very unlikey, last year when the documentary "Kill all but the crows" was published on Al jaseera on YouTube, the Somalia community online criticised it for lies and propaganda and we're quick to defend the war criminal former Col. Tuke, Tuke was in a position much lower in rank when compared to for example former general Morgan, so if the lesser criminal is strongly defended by the otherside, then there is obviously no chance of the bigger criminal receiving any sort of justice, at least from the Somali people.

Somalis are a proud people, I have never seen a Somali collective group of people admit fault to something or an event.

Yeah I remember that doc I watched it with my aunt and she told me about it.

I strongly urge you not to take YouTube comments or most things written online serious, if you do you'll end up losing hope and hating all communities not just other Somalis. It's not a good example.

Also I don't think they (the guv) don't care about the issue but I just think they're avoiding it and not taking on too much at a time. I do believe true reconciliation is possible and more and more people are calling for it, but everything can't be fixed overnight. Things have to be worked on, like all nations.

Anyway thanks for answering bro I understand where you're coming from.

Gambar

VIP

People were against it but it looked like (to them) propaganda and only showed one side. My grandma was asked questions as part of the documentary but later said she didn't want to bring up old wounds. It's not just other Somalis but actual victims themselves. It makes no sense because no one is stopping them from telling the other side.

Btw Tukeh was trained by the US and is a citizen, nothing will happen to him. Time to focus efforts on a more competent government.

Status
Not open for further replies.