100% Somali

BetterDaysAhead

#JusticeForShukriAbdi #FreeYSL
VIP
@ozzyoz

Welcome to the forum, but I would be careful with those studies that associate SNPs with health outcomes. This science is less advanced than the ancestry systems those genome companies produce. Medical genetics is still in its infancy and much more difficult than guessing where a person is from.
Where can you accurately find out your HLA?

Apollo

VIP
Do you know the HLA’s that are most prevalent in somalis?

I have heard of HLAs before, looked into it, but don't really find it all that interesting. Haplogroups and Autosomal DNA are the two main things that can be used for ancestry tracing. All other aspects of genetics isn't that informative when it comes to ancestry (technically it is, but it is very difficult to grasp and quite niche).

BetterDaysAhead

VIP
I have heard of HLAs before, looked into it, but don't really find it all that interesting. Haplogroups and Autosomal DNA are the two main things that can be used for ancestry tracing. All other aspects of genetics isn't that informative when it comes to ancestry (technically it is, but it is very difficult to grasp and quite niche).
I heard HLA’s are more useful in bone marrow transplanting and knowing which autoimmune diseases you’re more at risk of having

Apollo

VIP
I heard HLA’s are more useful in bone marrow transplanting and knowing which autoimmune diseases you’re more at risk of having

It is important, but less so for ancestry tracing. More of a medical genetics thing. Medical genetics is really not that advanced, it is (to use a metaphor) at stage horse-drawn carriage compared to the modern car stage (how much it could still advance).

BetterDaysAhead

VIP
It is important, but less so for ancestry tracing. More of a medical genetics thing. Medical genetics is really not that advanced, it is (to use a metaphor) at stage horse-drawn carriage compared to the modern car stage (how much it could still advance).
Do you know if races share more similar HLA types? If so do we share more similar HLA’s with SSA’s or caucasian groups

Apollo

VIP
Do you know if races share more similar HLA types? If so do we share more similar HLA’s with SSA’s or caucasian groups

I'm not into HLAs.. lol. But yeah, there are differences, not just between 'races', but also ethnicities (especially isolated ones). I have seen a study that said Somalis have weird HLA frequencies not observed before (see here).

BetterDaysAhead

VIP
I'm not into HLAs.. lol. But yeah, there are differences, not just between 'races', but also ethnicities (especially isolated ones). I have seen a study that said Somalis have weird HLA frequencies not observed before (see here).
HLAs are more important in medicine.

They show you genetic predisposition to certain diseases.
I fear there’ll be HLA supremacist movements in the future

Trending