Why i consider Galkacyo the best place to be the Somali Capital?

WITNESSES REPORT A SOMALI MASSACRE BEFORE U.S. ARRIVAL

By Jane Perlez

Dec. 29, 1992

More than 100 religious leaders and business executives, a doctor and other prominent residents of this port city were hunted door to door and killed in three nights of terror that began on the eve of the American landing in Mogadishu, Somali witnesses and United States diplomats say.

The killings were directed by the clan leader who controls Kismayu in a move to eliminate educated Somalis who might support the Americans, United States officials in Somalia said in interviews over the past two days. All the victims were Harti, who have deep roots here and say they regard other clans as occupiers.

The clan leader was identified as Col. Omar Jess, a member of the Ogadeni clan
, who seized control of the city in May. Recent public statements by him seem to support the assessment of the United States officials, who are directing more than 20,000 troops in securing relief supplies for this famine- and war-wracked country. The Night the Trucks Rolled

The night the killings began, trucks roared through town and wild gunshots could be heard as Harti were pulled from their homes and killed on the edge of the town, Somali witnesses said.

Grim details of what happened in the killing spree were pieced together from Somalis who escaped or who hid Harti, and from Western relief workers whose agencies have tried to protect Harti employees.

Many Somalis interviewed in the last two days said they wanted the story to get out but, fearful of retribution, they insisted on anonymity.

One survivor, a man in his 20's, said he was blindfolded with five others after loyalists to Colonel Jess broke into his house at 3 A.M. on Dec. 9. He said the women in the house were beaten with guns and the men were driven in a "technical" -- a souped-up jeep with weapons mounted on it -- to the beach.

The four Harti in the group were lined up and shot without questions, the survivor said in an interview here. The survivor and another man pleaded with the gunmen that they were not Hartis, and the killers took them to a Jess encampment until morning, then released them. A Surgeon Is Shot

One of the five Somali doctors at the Kismayu hospital, Mohammed Musa Sugule, a Harti, was shot in front of his wife and children, according to several Somalis and to an account given to Reginald Moreels, the president of the medical agency Doctors Without Borders.

Dr. Moreels, who arrived in Kismayu on Dec. 12, said he was told by a doctor at the hospital that Dr. Sugule, a well-known surgeon, left work one evening and joined his family in a place where there was "quarreling" with Jess fighters. Dr. Sugule was shot in the head, Dr. Moreels said.

"In the whole week after my arrival, there was a lot of clannic cleaning," Dr. Moreels said in an interview from Brussels. "I was struck by the hate among the people. A lot of people were shot to be killed -- they were shot in the head, the thorax, the abdomen. In war there are two types of injuries: to the limbs to handicap or, as in this case, to kill." A Confusion of U.S. Goals

In the late afternoon before the Americans landed on the beach of Mogadishu, Colonel Jess called a rally in Kismayu and said the town had to be "cleared" of people who would cause problems, a member of his central committee said in an interview. The committee is a 74-member Ogadeni group, the Somali Patrotic Movement.

This was the go-ahead for the killings, the committee member said, adding that it was "obvious" that Colonel Jess's main ally, General Aidid, was in collusion. General Aidid visited Kismayu briefly on Dec. 6, two days before the start of the killings. A Warning From the U.S.

Mr. Oakley, the Presidential envoy, said in an interview Saturday that he believed "over 100" people were killed in the clan purge. Mr. Oakley said he had told the Colonel that "we knew exactly what went on and we won't forget it."

The envoy, who visited each Somali town ahead of the troops to explain their role to local leaders, suggested that Washington's possible response to the killings was limited. He said the Security Council resolution authorizing military intervention in Somalia made no provisions for trying suspects charged with war crimes.

"The legal situation is very clear," Mr. Oakley said. "We are not an occupying power. We have no power of arrest. There is nothing in the Security Council resolution about war crimes, as there is with Bosnia."

A Western diplomat acknowledged that by dealing with local leaders like Colonel Jess, the foreign forces ran the risk of giving them legitimacy. "Kismayu is a political problem, not a humanitarian problem," the diplomat said. An Attempt at Isolation

Instead of taking direct action against Colonel Jess, Mr. Oakley said, attempts would be made to isolate him by encouraging traditional leaders to take part in new town committees. The American troops, joined by Belgians here, made their first moves against Colonel Jess today by surrounding a compound where he keeps a number of armed vehicles, with the apparent intention of confiscating them.

Kismayu, which has a reputation in Somalia as a particularly vicious and volatile town, has been battered by waves of occupying armies over the past two years of Somalia's civil war. But the killings in early December were the most systematic and brutal, Somalis witnesses said.

Dr. Moreels, of Doctors Without Borders, who stayed in Kismayu until Dec. 22, said he worked on "hundreds of war wounded" in the time he was there.

On his arrival, Dr. Moreels said, he went to see Colonel Jess to seek a guarantee that all the people, no matter what clan, would have access to the hospital. Many Harti, he said, were afraid to come to the hospital and Harti staff members were too scared to leave the hospital grounds, he said. 'Just a Little Problem'

"Jess said it was just a little problem one night and things would go better," Dr. Moreels said. "It was a complete lie because all the nights there were clannic cleanings."

One of the most prominent people killed was Ali Warabe, a Harti elder, several Somalis said. His body, stripped of his expensive sarong, was found with nine others at Gobuen, 10 miles north of the city, according to a Somali friend. Among others in the group, all blindfolded, were Mohammed Abdi Hersi and Gura Hadji, two senior members of the clan.

Aid workers said they knew of one Harti man who had lost 17 members of his family in the purge.

For the Harti who escaped, daily life became a torment of fear.

A young educated Harti who supervises a center for an international aid agency in Kismayu said he was grabbed on Dec. 14 at the center and surrounded by five armed Ogadeni men who said they wanted to kill him.

"They shouted at me: 'How can a Harti man work in a place occupied by the Somali National Alliance, especially in such a post,' " the young man recalled, a references to the group formed by Colonel Jess and General Aidid.

He was saved, the young man said, by sympathetic workers at the center who outmaneuvered the attackers. A Smooth Character

The killings in Kismayu did not seem out of character for Colonel Jess, both Americans and Somalis said. He is described as showing a smooth veneer and being practiced at a vocabulary that he thinks will impress Westerners; his public speech to Mr. Oakley on Dec. 19 was full of references to the emerging democracy in Somalia.

But, above all, he is known as a ruthless military man.

He was also a close colleague of Gen. Mohammed Said Hersi Morgan, the son-in-law of the ousted President, Mohammed Siad Barre, when General Morgan masterminded a war in 1988 against the Isaak clan in the northeastern city of Hargeisa.

Colonel Jess attended medical school in Italy, the former colonial power of the southern part of Somalia, but never finished, a colleague said. He received his military training in the former Soviet Union.

A member of Colonel Jess's alliance said that three days after the killings began, a senior member of the central committee, Ali Haidar Ismael, criticized the colonel in public and called him a "criminal."

The committee member said the colonel replied that he was not a criminal, and that the actions were the recommendation of the alliance's "security committee" as "necessary for the security of the country."

Harti and Absame have been fighting for centuries, that's not new, but they have not raped us or stole our houses!

Now go find what JVA did! Or go ask Dhulbahante people who live in Kismaayo.

I cannot believe that a Dhulbahante man would actually want Marehan to attack his own people and his own city and hand it over? War ma fayowdahay? Why are you talking like they own you? WTF.

Dalalos_ibn_Adali

Republican
VIP
I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Marexaan are so "langaab", why do MJ/OG need to form an alliance to counter them? The whole thing is baffling to me.
das-rite-black.gif

reer

VIP
Harti and Absame have been fighting for centuries, that's not new, but they have not raped us or stole our houses!

I cannot believe that a Dhulbahante man would actually want Marehan to attack his own people and his own city and hand it over? War ma fayowdahay? Why are you talking like they own you? WTF.
omar jess og killed more mj than gen ahmed warsame mx.

@World

Here is some reading for you, hadaad tahay nin Dhulbahante oo Harti ah.

The other main power within the JVA was the Habergedir-dominated Somali National Alliance. The strategic alliance between the SNA and SNF was based on common interests.

Although the JVA managed to defeat General Morgan in Kismayo, it did not have a monopoly of violence throughout Lower Jubba. Only a small number of Marehan and Habergedir lived in Kismayo when the JVA conquered the city.

Most of the local population considered the Marehan and Habergedir forces to be foreigners to the area, often referring to them as the β€œbrothers of Galgaduud.”

The JVA showed little interest in the city’s population. It did not do much to improve law and order or to promote development in the city. On paper, there existed a kind of city administration, but in reality, all decisions and power rested with the top JVA commanders.

While major clashes were uncommon, the everyday situation for ordinary people was uncertain. In addition to the unpredictability caused by the presence of so many young militiamen at the checkpoints, often high on khat in the afternoon, there was still a high incidence of robberies and raping of local women.

From time to time, fighting would suddenly erupt between the militias, typically due to disagreements about the share collected from the checkpoints. During such disputes, the militiamen would often shoot at kids from the other clans, as they considered them to assist the militia they were in dispute with.

Residents, who endured atrocities and years of fighting between competing militias, described Kismayo under JVA rule as a β€œshadow city.”

The city was largely segregated into districts dominated by different clan groups, and the level of trust between the different clan communities was low.

Many locals felt unsafe, especially women, who still experienced frequent harassment and rape by the militias. According to several local women, it was impossible to raise a case against the militias unless you had close contacts within the circle of power.

Clan elders, who would traditionally be the ones dealing with injustice between the city’s clans, were either largely ignored by the JVA commanders or had left the city and moved back to their clan strongholds.

As a local woman in Kismayo put it, β€œall the men and elders had left the city, only children and women were left.”

Many of the locals were thus at the mercy of the militias and their commanders.

World

VIP

That wasn’t a fight, Ogaden’s goal was to ethnically cleanse the Harti from Somalia just like how Hawiye did in Xamar.

:kanyehmm:

Even a monkey is laughing at us because of this crazy woman

The multi-nicking loser who was once bragged he was related to Caydiid, is calling someone else "crazy". I mean, Snoop aka Adali aka Dalalos, your own people ran you out of their forum because of your antics.

Gun baad tahay! Look at how you debase yourself constantly:

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 18.59.06.png

Dalalos_ibn_Adali

Republican
VIP
The multi-nicking loser who was once bragged he was related to Caydiid, is calling someone else "crazy". I mean, Snoop aka Adali aka Dalalos, your own people ran you out of their forum because of your antics.

Gun baad tahay! Look at how you debase yourself constantly:

View attachment 246567
You do realise what you say about other Daroods and what response you solicit from them will be used against you soma ahan ?

I shouldn't have called you "crazy" my sista but you should stop giving ammunition to cadowgeen.

You do realise what you say about other Daroods and what response you solicit from them will be used against you soma ahan ?

I shouldn't have called you "crazy" my sista but you should stop giving ammunition to cadowgeen.

As far as I am concerned, your clan are my cadow same as HAG, your special friends you formed JVA with.

:manny:

Dalalos_ibn_Adali

Republican
VIP
As far as I am concerned, your clan are my cadow same as HAG, your special friends you formed JVA with.

:manny:
Do you know something we might be politically opposed to each other, but enemies is abit strong.
You remind me of SSDF, multi-clan organization, it later split into SSDF, SNM and USC, many of the high ranking USC were former SSDF and they took part genocide against my people in the 80s and 90s, they then later genocided your peeps specifically in Kaambo amxaar an entire residential complex leaving no stone unturned.

I am not saying this to score points against SSDF, I am saying this to ring home the point I made, we create our own enemies and give ammunition to them for no reason.

Now they are not even cheering you on anymore they just laughing at you, its sad, stop it.

Do you know something we might be politically opposed to each other, but enemies is abit strong.
You remind me of SSDF, multi-clan organization, it later split into SSDF, SNM and USC, many of the high ranking USC were former SSDF and they took part genocide against my people in the 80s and 90s, they then later genocided your peeps specifically in Kaambo amxaar an entire residential complex leaving no stone unturned.

I am not saying this to score points against SSDF, I am saying this to ring home the point I made, we create our own enemies and give ammunition to them for no reason.

Now they are not even cheering you on anymore they just laughing at you, its sad, stop it.

Enemies is the right word.

Siad Barre was one thing, but you cemented your enmity with JVA and your relentless campaign to lie about and claim Kismaayo. I can multi-task, I don't care who laughs or enjoys the show. Meh

Bernie Madoff

Afhayeenka SL
VIP
If I'm lying then may Allah burn my mother and her kin in the afterlife, if not, then may the same happen to you.

Fair?
Dude you need to relax it’s not that deep. Don’t let some unhinged lady get to you cause you don’t got herd mentality like the rest of them I guess. Heck she even calls the Swedish autist @Neero an isaaq sheegato when we all know he’s from garowe :russ: