Who is considered a Somali? - Prof Cismaan Jawaarey

mohamedismail

Reewin. Lixda Gobol ee Maayland unii leh!
You are right in spirit, but deadly wrong in principle. That is progress. Good man. Now, repeat this after me: said territories are under occupation?

The original policy was of two-fold:
a) The Republic is home to all Somalis regardless. When Somalis from the said regions incl. Jibouti come to the Republic, their ties deepen, resolve strengthened, and determination grown.
b) Migration is bidirectional esp. nomads; think about ingress human traffic into S Galbeed from Hawd, Mudug, W Galbeed and vice versa.

Now, think about a crazy toad like Jawaari rising to the higest office in the Republic, and demanding your relatives, of nomadic existence mind you, from said regions, to be carded as they cross the border into the Republic, and being told they were foreigners.

Said regions are under occupation. Do you not see that?
And it has the opposite effect, for Somalis in said territories are heavily tied to, influenced, and inspired by those in the Republic, and where you to alienate them, you severe the ties, break the bod, and do away with the the inspiration.

You do not require a citizen to naturalise in his own land.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I am still firm upon my position. Somalis from Ethiopia and djibouti/NFD are ethnically Somali but not nationally. They can come to live in Somalia but they must go through a process of living in Somalia for 2 years before becoming citizens.

No one is denying them citizenship. They will just have to go through a process. Every country has laws like this Somalia shouldn't be different.

First of all what on earth is a qooti?
You do not know, yet you are Somali. Lovely, is it not?
Saying aniga la ii waydiin maayo is you indirectly denying my somalinimo. Why aren't I allowed to have an input in the decisions made in the Somali nation.

Is it because I am Eelaay?
Not quite, that was my way of prescribing you a taste of your own medicine. Rather bitter, is not it? A simple logic: when one starts othering others, one shall be othered.

mohamedismail

You do not know, yet you are Somali. Lovely, is it not?

Not quite, that was my way of prescribing you a taste of your own medicine. Rather bitter, is not it? A simple logic: when one starts othering others, one shall be othered.
I don't use those vocabulary. I speak Af Maay not Af Maxaa tiri.

Tbh I do not fear being othered even though i believe my ideas aren't wrong and othering others.

These low-key "threats" that I will be in future othered do not affect me. My people have long been othered and we overcame that to a point were we aren't anymore and considered part of the "4".And I believe we will in future overcome any "othering" other tribes that push on to my community.

mohamedismail

Do you know who fought, and financed for you not feel being othered? The same people you are arguing against their citizenship. Shocking, eh? The idea is no Somali should ever feel unwelcome, or second class citizen in the Republic.
Who were these people?

Was it not Abdullahi Yusuf and Aadan Gabyow who were denying raxanweyn to be equal to Daarood as Daarood are "Jabarti Carabs" and can't be considered equal to a raxanweyn African in the Embagatti Shir. Have you forgotten that?

It was only when the RRA picked up their weapons fought salbalaar that allowed Rahanweyn to be considered part of the "4". It was only then that Raxanweyn were viewed as a force to be reckoned with and couldn't be denied their political rights.

I won't deny reer puntland did help finance the RRA in the beginning stages but so did Cali Mahdi who was related to Caydeed as they were both Hawiye. But that doesn't equal to them advocating for raxanweyn to be seen as equals to Hawiye and daaroodm

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
Oh on the statement of 'snoring on the wheel', I was referring to us all. The question of nationality/citizenship, has been a thorny one for some, has been debated, and is being floated again. Did you listen to HSM or Jawaari talking about citizenship? They are pushing an agenda, which advocates for Confederacy of the Republic alone, and of excluding Somalis of occupied territories.
Yeah I heard the videos I was just asking why people were acting like this is some sort of sizeable movement or proposed legislation.
The whole concept of issuing National ID is unconstitutional, for:
a) .So in its structure is not a unitary system of government,
b) The Fed. government's authority is confined at the Fed. government [level]
c) States are tasked with issuing IDs, elections, registration et cetera,
d) It breaches a number of Articles in the Federal charter
I agree I will not accept any ID that isn’t administered by the states.

I have heard apparently they want the states to administer it but the IDs to be the same. Which I have mixed feelings about.
What do you think of Article 5?
As for Article 8, what do you think of sections (j) (l)?
Those sections have vague wording but the precedent is clear
Actually, if you think about it, the Federal charter has been diluted insofar as its being unrecognisable, which poses a clear threat.
Without any doubt these people are an apparent enemy but we have the upper hand so I am not worried. The constitution will be finalized with a Majerteen president that much I know.

You've misunderstood my point. I wasn't talking about Isaaq taking another clan's territory. That's neither what I was trying to say as well as being irrelevant in this context.

@reer was wondering how SL-Isaaq could be fine will their clansmen living under Ethiopia rather than with their people in SL/Somalia. To which I said that the politicians of SL have accepted that Isaaq/other Somalis will remain part of Ethiopia since you've made it clear that you want to break off from Somalia. Because the basis of SL secession being the territory of the former British Somaliland (1/5 Somaliweyne), they can not lay claim on Hawd as that's part of Ethiopia due to colonial borders as well. In other words, if you want all shanta Soomaaliyeed to be separate, that will mean that not all Isaaq will remain in the same country.
If Xamar hasn't relinquished its territorial claims or at least the Somali politicians in K5 were less tribalist and more nationalist or cared about their own people by even calling for the invocation of article 39 of Ethiopian federal there at least wouldn't have been a need to go back to pre 1960 borders.

If Xamar hasn't relinquished its territorial claims or at least the Somali politicians in K5 were less tribalist and more nationalist or cared about their own people by even calling for the invocation of article 39 of Ethiopian federal there at least wouldn't have been a need to go back to pre 1960 borders.

Agreed. Xamar relinquishing was a big failure on our end, as there were different avenues that could've yielded better outcome had we strategized better given the tools we had at hands.

Speaking of DDS, aside from the tribalism of politicians, I think every clan having different (political) interests played a big factor in why the fate of the region has been concentrated amongst circles loyal to the fed gov't and out of reach from the locals and their wishes.

We can always fault politicians for not having all of our people's interests at heart and playing dive and conquer tactics to remain in power. But we also need to acknowledge that we tend to have a bias on our end and a 'blind loyalty' to politicians hailing from our respective clans, even if they are corrupt/incompetent/authoritarian etc. On a clan-level, many are even fine with gaining a political favor at the expense of another clan and the list goes on.

Forget about politicians, we as a collective people simply have a hard time uniting behind a common banner due to conflicting interests, hence the root to the state of Somalis today. Inside DDS and outside.