UK set conditions for Somaliland recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.
General UK policy is not to support secessionism within internationally recognised states. This policy is long-established and reflects the UN’s position since its creation after World War II. However, there have been a small number of exceptions to this rule.
• There have been exceptions where secession has been mutually accepted by leading parties within a state, usually in the context of a peace process and/or peace agreement (South Sudan and Eritrea emerged in this way).
• There have been exceptions where secession has taken place from a state which has lost its legitimacy in the eyes of much of the international community, including the UK (a number of new states emerged out of former Yugoslavia in this way).

For the UK to assist Somaliland to gain international recognition, a policy decision would need first to be taken that Somalia – or the idea of Somalia as a state – has lost its legitimacy. The UK would be highly unlikely to act alone, which means that this would have to become the view of the UK’s international allies and partners too. To take that position now would be to break ranks with the current US and collective EU positions on Somalia.
There are many in the international community who sympathise with Somaliland’s wish for independence, but they appear to be waiting for an African Union (AU) member state to take the lead.

Attachments

• UK_Paper_on_Somalia.pdf
    414 KB · Views: 263

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
I never protest, but if there were serious hints of the West recognizing Somaliland I would start protesting. :dead:

There would have to be a (bigger) financial gain (for the west) for it to be recognized like South Sudan.

Bohol

VIP
The AU already said no. They fear any recognition of Somaliland will result in every tribal area in Africa to demands its own country
as well.

Apollo

VIP
By then it will be too late :siilaanyolaugh:

Gotta get my anger fix at that stage :mjlol:

ybenY3Q.jpg

The AU already said no. They fear any recognition of Somaliland will result in every tribal area in Africa to demands its own country
as well.

The AU is a recent invention, early 2000s. Somaliland has been seeking recognition at the time of the OAU, Somalia rejected the referendum in 2001 that was held to leave Somalia.

The only thing stopping Somaliland at this stage is Xamar.

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
:ehh:
Horumar over aqoonsi, it'll come eventually, I see our status as a blessing in disguise walaahi, now since we can make international deals, it's just one step away but we need to focus on development.

as well.
We just need to bribe some African dictator to recognize SL. I don't know why they haven't done it already :bell:

Someone tell ina Dhahabshiil to send a check to Mugabe :drakekidding:

Horumar over aqoonsi, it'll come eventually, I see our status as a blessing in disguise walaahi, now since we can make international deals, it's just one step away but we need to focus on development.

It's the best time to start a business in the motherland literally free for all. Ictiraaf will open the gates for every tom and harry to put locals out of business. I personally don't want SLAND to have aqoonsi until 10-15 years down the road. Enough time to set my own monopoly.

:siilaanyolaugh:

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
It's the best time to start a business in the motherland literally free for all. Ictiraaf will open the gates for every tom and harry to put locals out of business. I personally don't want SLAND to have aqoonsi until 10-15 years down the road. Enough time to set my own monopoly.

:siilaanyolaugh:

Raggedii :denzelnigga: I'm still on the planning stage of my business, I saved a bit and want my dad to loan me some money but I agree walaahi so many opportunities:banderas: it's an entrepreneur heaven sxb:ahh:

Haha will never happen. We all know Somaliland has nothing to offer to the western countries.
Gateway to the red sea?

Also Berbera can finally overtake Aden to be the chief port of the gulf due to instability in Yemen.

Fish, Oil, Natural resources, Livestock, Even agriculture, although that would be little since we only have enough to feed ourselves.

We can also exploit Ethiopia's situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending