My first time in Mogadishu

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 11pm, its safe to travel by car, although you will need to have somebody driving with a real or bogus ID to travel without hassle from unpaid military soldiers looking for his 1 dollar for supper and khat. Someone who is well known by the police and experienced on the road.

But on foot is not ideal because Terrorist groups mostly operate at night and you will be at risk of exposing yourself to both them and NISA chasing after them. You also expose yourself for easy assassination target. This is only true in certain neighborhoods rife with them, which you must learn quickly which one you reside in.
In xaafads where government control is absolute you are totally safe on foot and have nothing to worry about.

I know when you come you will try to stay at home but this is the worst thing you can do. Its better to go out during the safe hours I mentioned and learn your lical xaafad routes. Everyday you expand your pool and make good local friends. Keep your circle tight and do not acquire too many acquaintances, you dont want alot of people knowing your house. Keep exploring and youll learn the greatest sights around Xamar such as the ruined Catholic Church, Liidi Beach, Geelliqay, Argo , Jaziira Beach, Oman Sultanate base or Biteero

Xamarweyne and more

Its really awesome place and if your af Somali is poor the worst thing you can do is stay silent. Try to interact with the folks, you may get laughed at first but you instead use this opportunity to learn from your mistakes.

Wear normal clothes that wont attract much attention, infact I suggest you throw out all your clothes and buy local clothes. Do not grow out your hair and keep it short.

Be prepared to hear your first explosion it may terrify you at first but you will get used to it so much that you can accurately predict when they generally occur if too much time has passed between them. Sometimes a place you just attended may have been bombed hours later. You get used to it because God has written when youll die.

These things may sound alarming but it doesn't affect of the enjoyment of the city at all. Nothing beats being with your people and doing things the Somali way in a stress free gracious Somali nation.

No western rat race where you retire at 65 only to die of genitically modified sludge and flourided poison water.

Thanks again for the info, it seems that i can't send you PM though. Think I have commented to little on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts