My first time in Mogadishu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a longtime lurker here but this is my first post here. I've decided that now that I'm 21 years old and still haven't been to dhulka hooyaday that I will travel to Xamar during the entire month of June. My family went to Hargeisa last summer but I was busy with other things then so I couldn't make it last summer. So I will be going down there alone and the thing is that 90% or more of my reer left the country for the West or neighboring countries so I basically don't have any close relatives or kinsmen in Mogadishu. My parents were born there but their families are originally from the area around Galkacyo.

I'm not a total noob when it comes to living in Africa as I've been working in rural clinics in south sudan for the last 4 months (I'm a medical student). As of now my plan is basically to buy a ticket to Mogadishu and either find some voluntary work in some local hospital/clinic or just meet with people and practice my half-qashin af-soomaali. The "problem" is that I don't have any close relatives that i can stay with and would prefer not to stay in a hotel. When I were in South Sudan I used to ask "random" people if i could give them 50 dollars and stay in their place for like 1 or 2 weeks. Do you guys think that I could ask somalis in Xamar if i could stay in their place for a time (and give like 200 dollars) and also teach their children in school subjects and english.

My mother were against the idea at first but I told her to trust me and she is okay with it now. Do you guys have any thoughts and ideas on my basic plan as of right now?

I don't usually talk about qabil, the thing is I'm marehan (Don't care about it and don't identify myself with clans) so they pretty much left Xamar back in the times
War ninkan la hadla .staying in random people's houses and ting . Yo Somalia ain't Thailand or South Sudan fellow . You can stay with farmaajo .

Reign

Pro Women's Rights|Centrist
VIP
I don't usually talk about qabil, the thing is I'm marehan (Don't care about it and don't identify myself with clans) so they pretty much left Xamar back in the times
Theres a lot of Marehans in xamar. Either way for your own safety rent a hotel. You can find cheap ones if money is a problem.

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
if you don't have relatives in Mogadishu, don't go there! I was there for 3 months in 2015 and people kept saying if you get into a trouble, you will have no people to vouch for you and trust me trouble will find you one way or another. Best you can do is contact the local NGO's or medical institutions you would want to volunteer, they might provide a place for you stay. Also the rent is very expensive in Xamar, for an average house in the most secure suburbs, the rent is around $400-500 while the cheapest hotels go for $20-30 a night :manny:

Dire Dewa's son

Malik Obama 4 president.
I honestly admire people like you because it takes a lot of courage to trust someone enough to live in their home especially in s.sudan. I just can't imagine a world like that.

There's a lot of marehan living in hamar. You must have an uncle or an aunt somewhere? Your family needs to connect you. No matter what tribe you are don't go there alone.

Be careful, walaal. There are many pretend doctors that would take umbrage to you stealing their customers/patients. People have been killed like this. May Allah reward you for your good intentions., ameen

Just wanted to say,
Stay away from Bakaarah or other market places, its absolutely dangerous for young somali men as every day
one somali youth gets killed there for absolutely no reason, usually its the doings of either Al-Shabaab or the cops.
I would be very cautious if i were you, i went there couple years ago and the people there have absolutely no regards for human lives.

Furthermore they can easily tell if you are from the diaspora and some people severely despise us. I nearly got shot in bakaarah all because
the cop was like yeah you look like you are from the Al-shabaab, alhamdullilah my aunt saved me.

Plus there are loads of magicians in xamar and they tend to put curse and spells on people try not to cross there path. Also when you
get out of the airport there will be lots of beggars waiting for you outside begging for some lacag, i gave them some US dollars and whatnot.

All in all good luck bro if you have more questions just ask me.
Somalia Ha'noolato!!!

Be careful, walaal. There are many pretend doctors that would take umbrage to you stealing their customers/patients. People have been killed like this. May Allah reward you for your good intentions., ameen

This sister is right, Organ Harvesting is one of those underrated crime going around in somalia, you might get sick in the first couple of weeks due
to the adjustment of environment and new food, do not go to the doctor and just tough it out inshallah.

Just wanted to say,
Stay away from Bakaarah or other market places, its absolutely dangerous for young somali men as every day
one somali youth gets killed there for absolutely no reason, usually its the doings of either Al-Shabaab or the cops.
I would be very cautious if i were you, i went there couple years ago and the people there have absolutely no regards for human lives.

Furthermore they can easily tell if you are from the diaspora and some people severely despise us. I nearly got shot in bakaarah all because
the cop was like yeah you look like you are from the Al-shabaab, alhamdullilah my aunt saved me.

Plus there are loads of magicians in xamar and they tend to put curse and spells on people try not to cross there path. Also when you
get out of the airport there will be lots of beggars waiting for you outside begging for some lacag, i gave them some US dollars and whatnot.

All in all good luck bro if you have more questions just ask me.
Somalia Ha'noolato!!!

When did you visit Xamar? Was it back in 2010-2012? A couple of my friends was there back then and they say that it's a big difference from now alxamdullilah.

People can spot a diaspora Somali a mile away. While your there don't be too flashy. Get youself an old nokia phone especially when you walking outside. Qabiil dictates everything there, so keep connection with your tribesmen, they'll be your protection in case things go bad. Your qabiil can help you find a place to crash for free, or for little cash too. It'll be hard to keep your stuff safe though if you go to strangers homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.