Mayor of Hargeisa says “$2 billion was lost in the market fire”. To me that’s just exaggeration

these shops weren’t selling precision machinery or apple laptops. 99.9% of that stuff was cheap Chinese merchandise and dead white mans clothing. Total loss probably less than 100-150mn max.
Some of them were selling Apple laptops. Not everything was cheap China material over there. And bacadlaha wasn’t just about Chinese goods. It was food market and clothing as well. Also used as a bank it housed cash and valuables like dahab in safes.

Some of the buildings burned nearby did have high tech machinery for African standards. I don’t know why I have to keep repeating this but bacadlaha isn’t the only area that burned. The entire area that actually burned is bigger than many tuulos
2C48F94F-F220-4CBA-A736-404A638C1047.jpeg

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Some of them were selling Apple laptops. Not everything was cheap China material over there. And bacadlaha wasn’t just about Chinese goods. It was food market and clothing as well. Also used as a bank it housed cash and valuables like dahab in safes.

Some of the buildings burned nearby did have high tech machinery for African standards. I don’t know why I have to keep repeating this but bacadlaha isn’t the only area that burned. The entire area that actually burned is bigger than many tuulos View attachment 219008

Tell that to someone who hasn’t walked through that market.

I even got videos to debunk your bizarre attempt at making a failed state’s mediocre market like the Mall of America burned down.

Give me a break fella!

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Use your head sxb this is Africa you did not lose a billion in damages from this fire

This dude has fallen for the propoganda of Africa’s gov officials who would exaggerate any calamity that happens to them just so they receive donated stuff.

Go speak to any UN mission. They always talk about how you can’t take an African word on any cost.

The UN knows Somalis are notorious for this.
There’s a famine and a Somali official would say “we are nid moor din $10 balyan”.

Tell that to someone who hasn’t walked through that market.

I even got videos to debunk your bizarre attempt at making a failed state’s mediocre market like the Mall of America burned down.

Give me a break fella!
Yeah clearly you don’t walk thru the market because you don’t even know what bacadlaha is as you thought it was just a place for Chinese goods lol also the damage figure included infrastructure damage powerlines, electricity , and other cabling all which have to be replaced in an area larger than most tuulos

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
I know someone who lost $1 million worth of property and goods. Who knows how much in total was lost though. When are the leaders going to be shot? They caused this through incompetence.

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Ladies and gentlemen let’s take a look at the Market before the fire.

Mr @SomaliRealist -unrealist …what a character.

he wants us to believe that this market was $2b

God help us all! @Vito Rizutto would want us to accept his truth, a madman’s truth.
he would even like us to think his stool is worth $20k

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
It takes weeks to calculate damage and it looked like a favela. Look on the bright side, it has a chance to look modern now. Stalls should have a designated place, they shouldn't make up a city center.

To be fair the Waheen market fire could be compared to major fires in other parts of Africa not riots in Minnesota. Like for instance the one in Makola market in Accra, Ghana. Where 122 shops in a building, 84 shops had their wares completely burnt.

About 84 shop owners, seven container owners and 16 table top owners had their businesses destroyed.

The cost of damages on the wares amounted to be at GH₵97,213,600.00 ($127,365,856) while the cost of damage on the building was estimated at millions of Ghana Cedis (Ghanaian currency)

While the fire in Waheen destroyed about 2000 stores, buildings and whatever valuables that were stashed away in those buildings. It could push up to the 800-900 million figure and no more than a billion.

It could be plausible but then again we’d have to wait for the damages calculated and released in the media in the coming weeks or months.

Last edited:

Leila

Wanaag iyo Dhiig kar
Whatever the damages are , people’s livelihoods have been taken away , may Allah help them . Hopefully they will get some type of compensation from the government or donations insha Allah .

If you take into the city budget, the average GDP of the country, and the financial liquidation flow within the city, with the average person's purchasing power—controlling for all this—the damages are tremendous. The loss from that fire is harder to recover from than a fire in the same proportion in a developed world by many folds. The dynamics of recovery capacity are not the same. There are no risk management infrastructure or financial safety net frameworks.

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
I know someone who lost $1 million worth of property and goods. Who knows how much in total was lost though. When are the leaders going to be shot? They caused this through incompetence.

You are despicable :pacspit:

When was the last you fasted ? 2011?

Ladies and gentlemen let’s take a look at the Market before the fire.

Mr @SomaliRealist -unrealist …what a character.

he wants us to believe that this market was $2b

God help us all! @Vito Rizutto would want us to accept his truth, a madman’s truth.
he would even like us to think his stool is worth $20k
43EEA0D9-B161-4B7A-8725-CA9DE21BDC8B.jpeg

Idk why it’s so hard for your 68 IQ self to understand the market is not the only thing that burned ? And still you don’t even know what the market was. You STILL think it was just a place where Chinese goods were sold. Fadlan stop talking akhi you are balding ileen saying stupid stuff online isn’t what you’re suppose to be doing at this stage in life. Prepare for the retirement home 👍🏽

To be fair the Waheen market fire could be compared to major fires in other parts of Africa not riots in Minnesota. Like for instance the one in Makola market in Accra, Ghana. Where 122 shops in a building, 84 shops had their wares completely burnt.

About 84 shop owners, seven container owners and 16 table top owners had their businesses destroyed.

The cost of damages on the wares amounted to be at GH₵97,213,600.00 ($127,365,856) while the cost of damage on the building was estimated at millions of Ghana Cedis (Ghanaian currency)

While the fire in Waheen destroyed about 2000 stores, buildings and whatever valuables that were stashed away in those buildings. It could push up to the 800-900 million figure and no more than a billion.

It could be plausible but then again we’d have to wait for the damages calculated and released in the media in the coming weeks or months.
Thank you finally someone with even a room temperature IQ in this thread. Now take everything you said and add in the fact the damage range is a lot more than just the Waheen market. Look below
264947F0-743F-44F2-BDB9-E6EC7215254A.jpeg

RedStar

The Bad Ali of Jigjiga
VIP
View attachment 219056

Idk why it’s so hard for your 68 IQ self to understand the market is not the only thing that burned ? And still you don’t even know what the market was. You STILL think it was just a place where Chinese goods were sold. Fadlan stop talking akhi you are balding ileen saying stupid stuff online isn’t what you’re suppose to be doing at this stage in life. Prepare for the retirement home 👍🏽

do you reckon the loss of tax revenues and the ripple effect it has on country’s economy has been priced in?

Trending