OPINION Mayor of Hargeisa says “$2 billion was lost in the market fire”. To me that’s just exaggeration

The so called government (high school student run governments in the west are managed 1 million times better) has no choice but to compensate every single business. This happened due to their incompetence and poor planning (fire safety, building codes, very few firefighters) and no insurance available. If they don't, no one from the diaspora will invest again.

From what I was told, the new mayor wanted to open roads and create streets where firefighters could come in. I was the business class in that market who opposed him.

'The firefighters were also doing their job and they had enough water tankers. The problem was lack of access to the buildings and stores that were burning.

Dharbash

🧊
MARQUESS OF SSC
70k lol Yeah it’s clear you don’t know what you’re talking about. No point in responding further.
He’s right though, most houses in Somali from what I hear go for that amount or less now days, if it’s higher it’s probably got a lot of land or is a hotel/business building.

He’s right though, most houses in Somali from what I hear go for that amount or less now days, if it’s higher it’s probably got a lot of land or is a hotel/business building.
Houses in hargeisa these days are built for $100k-$150k at least. Unless you live in a jingaad. Nowadays it’s closer to $125k at least. My sister built her house in hargeisa for that amount just 3 years ago. Prices only going up.

World

VIP
Why you guys surprised that people who claim a genocide was committed against them would vastly exaggerate these figures? The damages is no more than $5 million.

Dharbash

🧊
MARQUESS OF SSC
Why you guys surprised that people who claim a genocide was committed against them would vastly exaggerate these figures? The damages is no more than $5 million.
2-20 million is believable, but they’re saying 2 billion as if SL even holds that much in assets to begin with. Either way, I pray that they recover from this

Reborn
@Dharbaaxo Jin @0117 please tell me that you do not genuinely think there was $1 billion in damages.

Don’t get me wrong, I believe the damage has been underestimated as there are a lot of gold and cash assets people had stored but a billion is too big a number.

There will be an economic report released next week by Sahamiye Foundation

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Houses in hargeisa these days are built for $100k-$150k at least. Unless you live in a jingaad. Nowadays it’s closer to $125k at least. My sister built her house in hargeisa for that amount just 3 years ago. Prices only going up.

There goes the inflated price by the man who things SL is Norway.

my family is into the building of homes. I can show you pics of homes ready for sale by my sibling. 4 bedroom house with a court yard costed only $35k (no land included)

World

VIP
There goes the inflated price by the man who things SL is Norway.

my family is into the building of homes. I can show you pics of homes ready for sale by my sibling. 4 bedroom house with a court yard costed only $35k (no land included)
$150k for a house in hargeisa lmao, how can a failed 3rd world unrecognised state that has a gdp per capita of 697 USD cost that much? He’s so delusional. That’s nearly 70% of average house price in America.

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
$150k for a house in hargeisa lmao, how can a failed 3rd world unrecognised state that has a gdp per capita of 697 USD cost that much? He’s so delusional. That’s nearly 70% of average house price in America.

There are homes that are $150k and above. However, these are the homes of like .00000001 of the population.

I for one will never build a home for such an exuberant amount in a entity that does not have any of the basic public works.
Too many of them you have to get water by a tanker. It is actually deposited into a big barrel above your roof. It runs out in just 4 days.
The moment you come out of your house you’re greeted by rocks, trash and makeshift homes as your neighbors. This is asking for the evil eye.
in other countries you have suburbs away from the poverty-stricken but in Somaliland (Somalia) you’ll build a mansion next to a destitute family.
You can’t even enjoy that home. You’ll question the fairness of life.

World

VIP
There are homes that are $150k and above. However, these are the homes of like .00000001 of the population.

I for one will never build a home for such an exuberant amount in a entity that does not have any of the basic public works.
Too many of them you have to get water by a tanker. It is actually deposited into a big barrel above your roof. It runs out in just 4 days.
The moment you come out of your house you’re greeted by rocks, trash and makeshift homes as your neighbors. This is asking for the evil eye.
in other countries you have suburbs away from the poverty-stricken but in Somaliland (Somalia) you’ll build a mansion next to a destitute family.
You can’t even enjoy that home. You’ll question the fairness of life.
Hargeisa has awful city planning. You are 100 % right. There are no affluent neighbourhoods in hargeisa, imagine paying that much for a house and stepping outside to see goats roaming around and being surrounded by poor neighbours. Compared to Nairobi where you will be living with other rich people, where the rich neighbourhoods looks like their own first class city.

Trending