OPINION Mayor of Hargeisa says “$2 billion was lost in the market fire”. To me that’s just exaggeration

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
I’d say about $20 if not $5m

The whole of Somalia’s yearly budget is less than $400m

The bulk of the $1- $2 billion is building damage. Masjid and multiple businesses outside of bacadlaha burned. Revenues for those actual businesses as well as including in the building estimate loss. This is everything outside of bacadlaha market which you still have to add on top of everything I mentioned above. Bacadlaha was everything from food to clothes to home goods and electronics. They’re not counting everything that was simply burned. They’re including the profit those people could have made in the estimates. Those are all losses. Also people kept all sorts of valuables in safes over there. Money, dahab, and whatever else

Last edited:

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
Where is the source for this claim.

I highly doubt he said this and if he did, I believe he meant Shillings, which would be roughly $200K, which I think is a low amount.

The bulk of the $1- $2 billion is building damage. Masjid and multiple businesses outside of bacadlaha burned. Revenues for those actual businesses as well as including in the building estimate loss. This is everything outside of bacadlaha market which you still have to add on top of everything I mentioned above. Bacadlaha was everything from food to clothes to home goods and electronics. They’re not counting everything that was simply burned. They’re including the profit those people could have made in the estimates. Those are all losses. Also people kept all sorts of valuables in safes over there. Money, dahab, and whatever else

The entire gdp of SL is less than 3bn, 2bn damage for that market makes no sense. The building cost of that entire market is no more than 10-20mn. I don’t think you appreciate what you could build with 1bn+.

these are just magic figures to elicit sympathy & foreign aid.

I highly doubt he said this and if he did, I believe he meant Shillings, which would be roughly $200K, which I think is a low amount.

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot

If he had added the land even then it wouldn’t have passed beyond $10m. The land is still there. The owners of that land still own it.
Now back to the buildings. Construction of a building in Hargeisa can run up to be $70k in the most elaborate buildings. If it was a hotel I’ll say $400k. However, few hotels got burned. Furthermore, the whole city didn’t burn. Just a 3 square miles burned.

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot

He said dollars manne.

If he had added the land even then it wouldn’t have passed beyond $10m. The land is still there. The owners of that land still own it.
Now back to the buildings. Construction of a building in Hargeisa can run up to be $70k in the most elaborate buildings. If it was a hotel I’ll say $400k. However, few hotels got burned. Furthermore, the whole city didn’t burn. Just a 3 square miles burned.
70k lol Yeah it’s clear you don’t know what you’re talking about. No point in responding further.

Last edited:
The entire gdp of SL is less than 3bn, 2bn damage for that market makes no sense. The building cost of that entire market is no more than 10-20mn. I don’t think you appreciate what you could build with 1bn+.

these are just magic figures to elicit sympathy & foreign aid.

The buildings alone are more than $20 million range. And like I said these buildings weren’t empty. It’s counting the assets and the profit projection numbers. Bacadlaha is a whole different topic than these buildings I mentioned before. It lost 2000+ businesses alone and people had multiple storages filled with items. I know a lady who had a business in bacadlaha but had 5 storages filled with items to sell. Bacadlaha that was the market for the average people in the city probably like 70% of the city business was tied to that market. A lot of them used the place as a bank as well with many safes located there that all burned too. I wouldn’t put the number at $2 billion but definitely it’s close to $1 billion. The area that was burned is bigger than most tuulos on its own
83A6E98A-684C-427E-9EDB-CB8E4B9371AE.jpeg

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
The buildings alone are more than $20 million range. And like I said these buildings weren’t empty. It’s counting the assets and the profit projection numbers. Bacadlaha is a whole different topic than these buildings I mentioned before. It lost 2000+ businesses alone and people had multiple storages filled with items. I know a lady who had a business in bacadlaha but had 5 storages filled with items to sell. Bacadlaha that was the market for the average people in the city probably like 70% of the city business was tied to that market. A lot of them used the place as a bank as well with many safes located there that all burned too. I wouldn’t put the number at $2 billion but definitely it’s close to $1 billion. The area that was burned is bigger than most tuulos on its own View attachment 219005

Bro you’re underestimating how big a billion is.

I agree with all your points, people are underestimating the damage but one billion is a massive number.

Use your head sxb this is Africa you did not lose a billion in damages from this fire
Yes it really happened. It’s not just bacadlaha 2000+ business lost. Bacadlaha wasn’t just a place to buy food or clothing or stuff. People kept valuables such as gold and money there in safes. It was used as a bank sort of by the average person of that area. The other outside businesses that burned not only is it building worth estimates bust also asset loss.

Bro you’re underestimating how big a billion is.

I agree with all your points, people are underestimating the damage but one billion is a massive number.
I’m not underestimating anything. I’m here in hargeisa you guys don’t even know what bacadlaha was lol you guys still think it was just a place to just buy food and clothes. Also that’s not the only area of damage
60357BEC-B0F8-4B46-8EF0-148AEBAB48A2.jpeg

Bacadlahayaasha is not the only thing lost that night

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
The buildings alone are more than $20 million range. And like I said these buildings weren’t empty. It’s counting the assets and the profit projection numbers. Bacadlaha is a whole different topic than these buildings I mentioned before. It lost 2000+ businesses alone and people had multiple storages filled with items. I know a lady who had a business in bacadlaha but had 5 storages filled with items to sell. Bacadlaha that was the market for the average people in the city probably like 70% of the city business was tied to that market. A lot of them used the place as a bank as well with many safes located there that all burned too. I wouldn’t put the number at $2 billion but definitely it’s close to $1 billion. The area that was burned is bigger than most tuulos on its own View attachment 219005

Kulahaa “buildings”!
80% were mere stalls. Makeshift stores.

Dude! The city of Minneapolis lost $1b after the great riot of 2020.

Stores like Target and others such as phone stores were looted yet it only added up to be $1b

You sit here and with a straight face telling me that makeshift stores that were selling knockoff clothing from China and Turkey were worth $2b

Get a grip of yourself.

Kulahaa “buildings”!
80% were mere stalls. Makeshift stores.

Dude! The city of Minneapolis lost $1b after the great riot of 2020.

Stores like Target and others such as phone stores were looted yet it only added up to be $1b

You sit here and with a straight face telling me that makeshift stores that were selling knockoff clothing from China and Turkey were worth $2b

Get a grip of yourself.
That’s bacadlaha that are stalls
82D05C9F-0517-4D15-86A8-329437ED5BCB.jpeg

The area that was burned is much larger than bacadlayaasha. Various buildings burned. Oh yeah forgot to add into the damage estimates earlier electric wiring and other sorts of cables in the area which obviously takes money to fix

Again. Bacadlayaasha it not just about food and clothing and Chinese items. It was a makeshift bank too with cash and dahab and other valuables.

go and educate yourself instead of looking like a foolish grown man on the internet

Also comparing this to Minnesota is idiotic. Few cases of looting does not add up to whole damage. You would have seen upwards of $10 billion in losses in Minnesota if what happened in hargeisa happened there.

these shops weren’t selling precision machinery or apple laptops. 99.9% of that stuff was cheap Chinese merchandise and dead white mans clothing. Total loss probably less than 100-150mn max.