Is KH in Somali borrowed from Arabic or indigenous

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. Somalis stopped writing language books after the war.

But I've never heard Marqaati/Baqti. The way I've always known it is Markhaati and Bakhti.
Oh right

Interesting both words generate many results when you google search them, maybe dialectal or arabic precense in some places over others

Agent 47

21st Divsion of Somali National Army
You are correct about duqsi . You are wrong about Daqso : it's Dakhso. The "Northerners" generally use the Kh and Q in their correct forms . We don't substitute Q for Kh.

Ps. Khuuro sounds like the Arabic word for snoring .
Let me also correct you, it’s dhakhso:lolbron:
Or Dhaqso. Yeah northers mostly use the KH, even though KH and Q are pronounced the same.

I thought the point was the letter kh being foreign in the somali language...which it can't be
Beginning with kh is a different story. That's like saying find somali words that ends with K, there's not many:pachah1:
Nonetheless, it is astounding to think none of southern dialects or languages such as Af maay , af garre or tunni do not contain the kh or x sound . Neither does Oromo . I am not sure about rendille . Afar? Assuming the proto- Somali speakers once spoke the same language as the previously mentioned people , it would not be illogical to assume the af maxa tiri speakers incorporated this sound into their language after breaking off from those other speakers . Whether this process was done internally or externally is a debate for the linguists . I am a Suugo Scientist, not a linguist .

Last edited:

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
Nonetheless, it is astounding to think none of southern dialects or languages such as Af maay , af garre or tunni do not contain the kh or x sound . Neither does Oromo . I am not sure about rendille . Afar? Assuming the proto- Somali speakers once spoke the same language as the previously mentioned people , it would not be illogical to assume the af maxa tiri speakers incorporated this sound into their language after breaking off from those other speakers . Whether this process was done internally or externally is a debate for the linguists . I am a Suugo Scientist, not a linguist .

:fittytousand: وي واز عرب

Young Popeye

Call me pops
bakhti= dead body/ or to turn off)
markhaati = witness
khuuro= snoring

I'm certain these three are authentic somali and contain the KH letters

bakht was one of the wives of phut (punt) son of ham. it has a negative connotation like "dirty"

Last edited:
Yes. Q and kha are pronounced the same:manny:
For example Qashin, qabyaalad, qabiil.

Erm... what? So you say khashin, khabyaalad and khabiil?:chrisfreshhah:

They are not the same. They are pronounced differently.

Q as in Qalin, qalbi, qoor, qod

Kh as in khiyaamo, khaati, khuuro, khaatumo.

Two different sounds.

Agent 47

21st Divsion of Somali National Army
So they are spelt differently but pronounced the same?
What is their pronounciation? q or kh? Im o
Erm... what? So you say khashin, khabyaalad and khabiil?:chrisfreshhah:

They are not the same. They are pronounced differently.

Q as in Qalin, qalbi, qoor, qod

Kh as in khiyaamo, khaati, khuuro, khaatumo.

Two different sounds.
no, I was saying Qabiil, qabyaalad, and qaahin start with kha. I already said I meant to say Q = kha.

And are you claiming kh is completely pronounced tha. Q?:ayaanswag:

tell me how you say KH:mugshotman:

Pretty sure Q and Kh are both pronounced Kha. And the last person I would want to hear Somali from is northern Somalis, no offense. Y’all niggas call babaay “cambe”:dabcasar:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts