Is KH in Somali borrowed from Arabic or indigenous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent 47

21st Divsion of Somali National Army
So they are spelt differently but pronounced the same?
What is their pronounciation? q or kh? Im only aware theres q in somali
Kh snd Q are both pronounced the same and it’s sometimes confusing because you wouldn’t really know when to use the right one.

no, I was saying Qabiil, qabyaalad, and qaahin start with kha. I already said I meant to say Q = kha.

And are you claiming kh is completely pronounced tha. Q?:ayaanswag:

tell me how you say KH:mugshotman:

Pretty sure Q and Kh are both pronounced Kha. And the last person I would want to hear Somali from is northern Somalis, no offense. Y’all niggas call babaay “cambe”:dabcasar:

Like ق and خ

Agent 47

21st Divsion of Somali National Army
War kha lagu khaarijiye:mahubowtf:

I mean Q is pronounced kha or Qa if that is even a thing. For example when you’re pronouncing words like qabyaalad, you say qa-byaalad. Well if you still don’t get my point don’t even bother.

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
Either they are loanwords or common proto afro asiatic word they both share

I wasn't talking about loan words. I noticed in somali we use the "n" as plural "t" as the action of someone else mostly a female & "Y" as a action of someone else, many times a male ex the word "idhi(singular), nidhi(plural), Tidhi(feminine), Yidhi(masculine) . Another example Tegaya(leaving singular) tegayna(leaving plural) the n is added to signify the plural

Arabic has something similar with noon being used to pluralize the the word in many cases, also the taa used for feminine & yaa used for masculine, but somalis many times differentiate the sex at the end of the word. Im probably looking to deep into it. Somali grammar & syntax is actually extremely difficult. It's a highly intelligent language.

Edit the masculine/feminine part was a stretch and not true in many cases. But the n or noon being used as plural is existent for both

Last edited:

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Q is for words like qandho, qumayo

Kh is for khalad, khadro, khudaar etc.

I wasn't talking about loan words. I noticed in somali we use the "n" as plural "t" as the action of someone else mostly a female & "Y" as a action of someone else, many times a male ex the word "idhi(singular), nidhi(plural), Tidhi(feminine), Yidhi(masculine) . Another example Tegaya(leaving singular) tegayna(leaving plural) the n is added to signify the plural

Arabic has something similar with noon being used to pluralize the the word in many cases, also the taa used for feminine & yaa used for masculine, but somalis many times differentiate the sex at the end of the word. Im probably looking to deep into it. Somali grammar & syntax is actually extremely difficult. It's a highly intelligent language.
Interesting, how is it conjugated for he/she/i/they etc?
For harari the endings are:
I: kho
You: khi
He: a
We: na
You (plural): khu
They: u

Maybe it is similar with all languages in the horn. Not sure

Interesting, how is it conjugated for he/she/i/they etc?
For harari the endings are:
I: kho
You: khi
He: a
We: na
You (plural): khu
They: u

Maybe it is similar with all languages in the horn. Not sure
There is more than one language group in the Horn and I am pretty sure they are not all similar to each other with conjugations

there are very few some somali words begin with word Kh a very few words i found out are really somali words which are not loan words including this , Khanni , kharaf, khuuro: sleep apnea,

I can understand @Agent 47 confusion.

With the exception of words that start with kh/q sound how does it sound any different? How would Baqti and Bakhti sound different? Regardless of how people may spell it, it sounds the exact same irl.

I can understand @Agent 47 confusion.

With the exception of words that start with kh/q sound how does it sound any different? How would Baqti and Bakhti sound different? Regardless of how people may spell it, it sounds the exact same irl.
Q and Kh (or x as it is on IPA) are different sounds regardless of the place.

Compare k and h, and put them in the place of q and kh above^

Unless in somali its actually pronounced as baqti even though people write bakhti?...

Q and Kh (or x as it is on IPA) are different sounds regardless of the place.

Compare k and h, and put them in the place of q and kh above^

Unless in somali its actually pronounced as baqti even though people write bakhti?...
Im speaking on how Somalis pronounce these words.

My aunt speaks the waqooyi dialect and she pronounce that word the exact same, she just uses it in a different context than my mom would. For example she would use the word baqti where my mom would say dimi, as in turn off the light. It sounds the exact same though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending