Identity crisis among some

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come many Somalis have some sort of an identity crisis? Like some like to claim Arab blood, while other totally distance themselves from other black/African people. It disgusts me how some Somalis insult other black people and their features.

They have mental illness. How do people who look closer to Bantus than Arabs say they have an Arab ancestral daddy? They can't even speak the language of the people they claim. They can't even read the Quran. Even a parrot can memorize and recite a surah

Dhabaal

Part time -Devils Advocate Full time- Anarchist
No identity crisis here. I am Somali. My country is located in Africa, so I am African. I have a vested interest in the improvement of my entire continent because when one country gains true self-determination, I know it will spread like wild fire across the whole of Africa. I am not black. I am not Arab. I am Somali - I beg nobody - I belong to the culturally, linguistically, naturally richest country on Earth.
Someone who gets it. :rejoice: Our potential is enormous. and our resilience as people will show it in time.

Merca

Inactive.
No identity crisis here. I am Somali. My country is located in Africa, so I am African. I have a vested interest in the improvement of my entire continent because when one country gains true self-determination, I know it will spread like wild fire across the whole of Africa. I am not black. I am not Arab. I am Somali - I beg nobody - I belong to the culturally, linguistically, naturally richest country on Earth.
I like your comment

Merca

Inactive.
You are probably talk about a very insignificant minority in the diaspora who adopt foreign notions of who they are.

99% of Somalis don't have an identity crisis. Somalis just think of themselves as simply Somali and view their Somali identity as their race.

We are neither Arab nor are we ''Bantu'' (if thats what you mean by Black African) we are just Somali.

20u1pqh.png
I've seen and met many Somalis that do have an identity crisis but that's just my experience. Many even like to distance themselves from other Somalis in hope to seek acceptance from white people.

This. But how do you tell an Indian or an Asian you're not Black? In the west I don't see it as a problem if I identify as Black/African due to ignorance and social constructs but when I'm in Africa in a sea of real Blacks there's no confusion about who I am.

This. But how do you tell an Indian or an Asian you're not Black? In the west I don't see it as a problem if I identify as Black/African due to ignorance and social constructs but when I'm in Africa in a sea of real Blacks there's no confusion about who I am.

Who cares what Asians see you as? You tell them you are Somali. If they ask 'where is that?', you say 'Africa'. I cannot think of any reason or situation where I would need to identify myself as a black person. Except maybe those stupid forms that say 'Black African'. Maybe I'll start ticking 'other' and specifying Somali.

Dhabaal

I've seen and met many Somalis that do have an identity crisis but that's just my experience. Many even like to distance themselves from other Somalis in hope to seek acceptance from white people.
I understand people like that exist, it's best for us to show compassion and guidance. We all know why some self-reject themselves. Variety of different factors, sometimes it is lack of culture, others times it is they live in a climate of negativity and lies, etc. Because many of us can understand or relate we should be able to speak on it from a place of reason.

I also disagree with labeling people as pejorative ''Self haters''. By doing so we make them such and they will begin to internalize it. By villanizing people we create hostility and further rejection. We should speak to them from a place of love.

Dhabaal

Pray for Africa

Hope is on the way

My vision is for Somalis, is for us to become leaders of the African and Muslim world.

I know its sounds pretty flimsy saying this in our current circumstances but thats why a consider us to be the Dark Horse of Africa.

We have potential to offer soo much more.

Last edited:

Merca

Inactive.
I understand people like that exist, it's best for us to show compassion and guidance. We all know why some self-reject themselves. Variety of different factors, sometimes it is lack of culture, others times it is they climate of negativity and lies, etc. Because many of us can understand or relate we should be able to speak on it from a place of reason.

I also disagree with labeling people as pejorative ''Self haters''. By doing so we make them such and they will begin to internalize it. By villanizing people we create hostility and further rejection. We should speak to them from a place of love.
I totally agree with you on this part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending