Biggest reasons you believe or disbelieve in religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:comeon:

I thought i already made it clear that any personal beliefs, in states or in matters of religion, shouldn't be punished.

I am against all types of thought policing.
You are an unusual human then sxb. Majority of people from the west support one and rebuke the other.

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
You are an unusual human then sxb. Majority of people from the west support one and rebuke the other.

Isin't freedom of thought one of the main staples of western philosophy? Being against thought policing isin't really that unusual in my experience.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
I want to understand all these viewpoints and see where y'all are coming from.

Well there are many reasons for why I don't believe but I'll provide a few:

1) The religion you follow is a consequence of your geographical location. I mean, have you ever wondered why the majority of Christians born in Christian countries tend to be Christian? Or how the majority of Muslims who are born in Muslim countries tend to be Muslims? The religion you hold will most likely depend on where you were born and what religion that place favours as the 'truth'.

2) Religion has justified some of humanities most absurd atrocities. You had the crusades, the inquisition and the justification of slavery by race in Christianity, but you also had explicit sanction of slavery, discrimination and massacres endorsed by Islam. Of course this is only a drop in the ocean. The prophet assassinated his critics, massacred entire tribes for the supposed actions of a few, married as many women as he liked whilst also having concubines, he endorsed sex slavery and many more atrocious things. To add to this, let's not forget about the explicit sexism in Islam. A woman who is raped is required to provide four male witness to prove she was raped by whom ever she accuses, her testimony is worth half that of a man, her inheritance is much lower than her brothers, the prophet explicitly stated that any nation led by women is bound to fail, she can be hit by her husband but not so hard as to leave a mark, her intelligence and religion is lower than that of a man and so on.

3) Islam portrays itself as a champion of monotheism but has established pagan rituals and practices within its teachings. The hajj, the tawaf, safa and marwa, salah, the symbolic throwing of stones at the devil, the veneration of a black stone and so on, are all fundamental aspects of the teachings of the religion but history shows that Islam didn't invent them, it took them from pagans. Some would argue that this was originally founded by Abraham and the pagans corrupted his religion, nonetheless, there is literally zero evidence for such claims whatsoever.

4) Scientific contradictions. Islam espouses a creationist outlook of the world, claims the earth was created before the heavens (universe), claims the stars are lamps meant to beautify the sky when that is clearly not true and so on. The Hadiths are even more ridiculous. It claims that the seasonal changes are a consequence of the inhaling of hell, meat rots because of the people of Israel and not due to decomposition triggered by bacteria, the resemblance of a child depends on who reaches the state of orgasm first and so on. Point is, it is clearly a book that contradicts the scientific evidence.

There's even more but I don't want to flood the place.

Last edited:
I find religion to be limiting, both in the things that it prohibits and in the ideas it doesn't allow you to explore, being a person who asks a lot of question naturally I am not ok with this. I don't see an issue with having a personal relationship with God but organised religion is undoubtedly bullshit to its core.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
I believe because I can't fathom the thought of coming From nothing. There has to be one god who created everything.

Well this is a typical straw man against the atheist but utterly hypocritical. Allah came from nothing and created everything from nothing but that makes sense??

:what1:

Too funny some of you appear out of nowhere at the mention of God. Aren't you folks obsessed a little? And some of you wrote the same garbage they have been writing for ages in the internet years. Dedicated crew indeed. Gets tiring to address the same bullshit day and night.

Too funny some of you appear out of nowhere at the mention of God. Aren't you folks obsessed a little? And some of you wrote the same garbage they have been writing for ages in the internet years. Dedicated crew indeed. Gets tiring to address the same bullshit day and night.

Dee it says disbelievers and believers in the title, we're just answering OPs questions. If you didn't want to be offended you shouldn't have clicked on the post

Dee it says disbelievers and believers in the title, we're just answering OPs questions. If you didn't want to be offended you shouldn't have clicked on the post

But these are folks who don't participate in other topics as much but suddenly show themselves when the topic is Religion. That is weird for someone who doesn't have beliefs per claim. Yet, you can count on them to be around no matter the gap in their participation. :russ:

In other words, if I wanted to lure out that female Cosmos, Or Fat Mclovin, All I need to do is mention God in a subject liner and they are in out from the cold..

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
In other words, if I wanted to lure out that female Cosmos, Or Fat Mclovin, All I need to do is mention God in a subject liner and they are in out from the cold..

So... we shouldn't answer questions addressed to us because you'd offended by the answer given?

:umwhat:

I love how you play the victim but at every chance you get, you attack the atheists.

:drakekidding:

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
But these are folks who don't participate in other topics as much but suddenly show themselves when the topic is Religion. That is weird for someone who doesn't have beliefs per claim. Yet, you can count on them to be around no matter the gap in their participation. :russ:

Not participating in other topics kulaha :westbrookwtf: This is like the second or third time i even mention religion on this forum :umwhat:

Religion is not that interesting of a topic to me sxb, i'm way past that angry atheist phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending