Apparently other Muslim groups take up their Husbands last name

I think it is because of the meaning of Weli (Guardian) and how each group views it. When the nikaax is taking place, there is a requirement that an immediate male who is a mahram should be representing the lady - starting from her father.

When nikaah is concluded, the responsibility to feed, cloth, and place her in a good home is on her husband. He is the head of the household. And unless he is putting her life in jeopardy, her father and male mahrams have no role in her life.

Second, divorce is not easy in many societies. The man can't just divorce his wife because he doesn't like her any more. She also can't just the same as well. There has to be extreme reason of why one is initiating a divorce. In these Muslim societies, the qadi (or a Muslim judge) on family matters have a huge say.

So when you combine those 2, it makes sense for the woman to take her husband's last name, as it makes it easier for her to claim his properties and resources if he dies before her in addition to social benefits.

Being a pastoralist and farming community with limited governance, we have time to catch up with other developed Muslim societies.
This is a theme in settled, patriarchal monogamous societies. There is officially one woman of the household, all others (mistress/prostitute) are illegitimate and have no access to the husbands possession once he dies. I am not sure how that will translate to polygamous cultures where you can be one amongst many wives. Imagine all of you having your husbands last name.... weird. The thought of it makes me laugh.

It's bizarre that nowadays some Western women actually want to keep their family name and not take their husbands name because they don't want to feel like a property, but you have some Muslims going backwards.

Many people in Egypt etc. do not have tribes or clans nor do they know the names of any paternal ancestors beyond their grandfather. For example, the Al Saud royal family can only name its paternal ancestors to Mani' ibn Rabi'a al-Muraydi in 1446. They don't know the names of any paternal ancestor beyond that, they only "know" be belonged to the Banu Hanifah tribe. For non royal commoners, the number of paternal ancestors they know by name is even less, they only know which sub clan or tribe their paternal ancestry supposedly comes from. Only famous clans like Hashemites and other Qurayshi would "know" their paternal lineage by names beyond that, and the majority of them are fabricated.
I’m more landheere than the saudis, I can go back to the 8th century lol.

Trending

Latest posts