Apparently other Muslim groups take up their Husbands last name

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Isn’t that identity fraud? I always knew they tried to be as western as possible but this is too much.
Your name indicates your lineage, why are Somalis the only ones who STRICTLY follow this?
:jaynerd:
Isn’t it haram to claim a lineage that’s not yours? And isn’t changing your last name to some nigga you could divorce in a month doing just that?
:childplease:
What happens on the day of judgement and akhira when the children take the lineage of their mother but now she has the name of her husband. It’s full circle
:ivers:
It’s standard in Turkey, South Asia, North Africa and some Middle eastern arabs too. Somalis and Indonesian/Malay strictly do not do that and your name goes: given name, fathers name, grandfathers name etc

We are both Shafi’ madhab too.

Even the most devout Muslims are heavily influenced by Western norms and this is only going to become more pronounced as time goes by.

Last names (in the Western sense) are a pretty recent phenomenon; my so called last name is just my great-grandfather's name -- and that's because it's convenient and needed for documentation and licenses in the modern world; I can go back centuries recounting my lineage.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
My iraqi neighbors do that the women take the mans name

:kanyehmm: :kanyehmm:
Pakistanis for me. I was in middle school the first time I seen it. I was in visible shock.
Meme Reaction GIF

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
I searched it on other forums and they keep saying only “salafis” made it haram like BFFR! You are claiming a lineage that isn’t yours and imitating non muslims
:kodaksmiley::mjlol:

reer

VIP
Even the most devout Muslims are heavily influenced by Western norms and this is only going to become more pronounced as time goes by.

Last names (in the Western sense) are a pretty recent phenomenon; my so called last name is just my great-grandfather's name -- and that's because it's convenient and needed for documentation and licenses in the modern world; I can go back centuries recounting my lineage.
tbf tribal people in arabia and iraq usually put their clan name (or sub clan name) as their last name for over 1k years. for example youll be nilotic + papa nilotic + papapa nilotic + al-shaybani.

The prophet SAW's adopted son wasn't allowed to take his name either. It's a very big sin in Islam to take a name that is not the name of your father. Women who take on their husband's son are essentially being sheegads, claiming that they have another father as they have replaced their father's name.

It's not a small matter and what's worse, is if they are emulating others, non-Muslims. Wal Ciyaadu Bilaah!

Last edited:
In what world does that make sense ? My husband is not my father last time I checked and I’m not a bastard.

It's embarrassing, it's worse when they get divorced and they have to carry that name around or get it removed.

It's also falling out of favour for some Western women, who either keep their own name or take on a double-surname for themselves and their own children.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP

So Dinkas also basically have a custom of Abtirsi like Somalis and Jazeeran Arabs? You can recount your male line ancestors' names going back to like 20-40 generations?

Isn’t that identity fraud? I always knew they tried to be as western as possible but this is too much.
Your name indicates your lineage, why are Somalis the only ones who STRICTLY follow this?
Isn’t it haram to claim a lineage that’s not yours? And isn’t changing your last name to some nigga you could divorce in a month doing just that?
What happens on the day of judgement and akhira when the children take the lineage of their mother but now she has the name of her husband. It’s full circle
It’s standard in Turkey, South Asia, North Africa and some Middle eastern arabs too. Somalis and Indonesian/Malay strictly do not do that and your name goes: given name, fathers name, grandfathers name etc

I think it is because of the meaning of Weli (Guardian) and how each group views it. When the nikaax is taking place, there is a requirement that an immediate male who is a mahram should be representing the lady - starting from her father.

When nikaah is concluded, the responsibility to feed, cloth, and place her in a good home is on her husband. He is the head of the household. And unless he is putting her life in jeopardy, her father and male mahrams have no role in her life.

Second, divorce is not easy in many societies. The man can't just divorce his wife because he doesn't like her any more. She also can't just the same as well. There has to be extreme reason of why one is initiating a divorce. In these Muslim societies, the qadi (or a Muslim judge) on family matters have a huge say.

So when you combine those 2, it makes sense for the woman to take her husband's last name, as it makes it easier for her to claim his properties and resources if he dies before her in addition to social benefits.

Being a pastoralist and farming community with limited governance, we have time to catch up with other developed Muslim societies.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP

North Africa don't do that

It would mean a brother and a sister married each other

I think it is because of the meaning of Weli (Guardian) and how each group views it. When the nikaax is taking place, there is a requirement that an immediate male who is a mahram should be representing the lady - starting from her father.

When nikaah is concluded, the responsibility to feed, cloth, and place her in a good home is on her husband. He is the head of the household. And unless he is putting her life in jeopardy, her father and male mahrams have no role in her life.

Second, divorce is not easy in many societies. The man can't just divorce his wife because he doesn't like her any more. She also can't just the same as well. There has to be extreme reason of why one is initiating a divorce. In these Muslim societies, the qadi (or a Muslim judge) on family matters have a huge say.

So when you combine those 2, it makes sense for the woman to take her husband's last name, as it makes it easier for her to claim his properties and resources if he dies before her in addition to social benefits.

Being a pastoralist and farming community with limited governance, we have time to catch up with other developed Muslim societies.

There is nothing advanced or developed about adopting a husband's name. As for claiming inheritance, a woman can easily produce her nikaax papers and bring along witnesses to court, including HIS children, if she had any with him.
A father and brothers will always have a role in a woman's life, if they choose to do so. Marriage is not slavery or adoption, you have a very scary view of marriage and women in general.

Trending