23andMe or AncestryDNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transparent

cismaan maxamuud
Use 23andme,ancestydna will label you as a hybrid of middle-eastern and bantu.If you wanna find out how much east african you really are than 23andme is the way to go

Use 23andme,ancestydna will label you as a hybrid of middle-eastern and bantu.If you wanna find out how much east african you really are than 23andme is the way to go

Also do you happen to know how it actually works? Like for example, they say they have an EA sample, but what do they actually match in this sample to give you your composition? (I don't really know how to word my question)

Transparent

cismaan maxamuud
Also do you happen to know how it actually works? Like for example, they say they have an EA sample, but what do they actually match in this sample to give you your composition? (I don't really know how to word my question)
I think you mean what populations do they gather their database of east African dna from.
I think this link would be able to clarify your queries
https://tracingafricanroots.wordpress.com/east-africa/

i assume it's the way general DNA tests are done. they compare the markers in your DNA with those from their EA sample. they have already tested their sample and have found markers that are only found in east Africa so they will see what percentage of these markers show up in your DNA.

I don't think they have enough data on east Africans to give you a correct percentage so you shouldn't waste your money.

Transparent

cismaan maxamuud
23andmesamplesoa.jpg

I think you mean what populations do they gather their database of east African dna from.
I think this link would be able to clarify your queries
https://tracingafricanroots.wordpress.com/east-africa/

No sorry I meant like, as your link shows, they have a sample size for some East African countries, but when someone sends their results in, how do they match it up and what is it they are matching up to generate an East African % composition, or whatever composition it is.
If they had for example 100 British samples, wouldn't a British person just get near about 100% Northern European (British)? Or are there other specific things that generate the Northern European component?

i assume it's the way general DNA tests are done. they compare the markers in your DNA with those from their EA sample. they have already tested their sample and have found markers that are only found in east Africa so they will see what percentage of these markers show up in your DNA.

I don't think they have enough data on east Africans to give you a correct percentage so you shouldn't waste your money.

Oh I see thanks. Above^ is what I was attempting to say but I think this covers it. And no I don't think they do, although AncestryDNA just looks x10 worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending