Zak Wants To Play A Game With You All, Come on in And Pick a Number

Interesting.

I didn't know calculus 4 was a thing. I though it all ended in calculus III. :icon lol:

See this guy's list

https://www.quora.com/What-is-Calculus-4

In my university, for mechanical engineering and electronic engineering...

Calculus 1: basic, single variable calculus. Includes:

• Limits and continuity
  • Derivatives and differentiation
  • Taylor polynomials for approximation
  • Indefinite integrals
  • Definite integrals
  • Geometrical applications of integrals (centroids, volumes of revolution, etc)
Calculus 2: ODEs and series

• 1st order differential equations, linear and nonlinear
  • N-th order differential equations, linear and some nonlinear cases
  • Systems of differential equations
  • Improper integrals
  • Series and convergence
  • Special functions (Gamma, Zeta, etc)
Calculus 3: Multivariable calculus

• Multivariable functions
  • Multivariable limit and continuity
  • Multivariable differentiation, gradient and hessian matrix
  • Parametric curves in space
  • Vector fields, divergence, rotor and laplacian operators
  • Potential functions
  • Double, triple and surface integrals
  • Stokes', Green's, Gauss' and Helmholtz's theorem
Calculus 4: Complex calculus

• Complex valued functions
  • Holomorphic functions and Cauchy-Riemann equations
  • Integration and Cauchy's integral formula
  • Conformal mappings
  • Complex Taylor and Laurent series
  • Zeros, poles and residues
  • Improper integral calculations
  • Laplace transform
Calculus 5: bonus stuff

• Tensor calculus
  • Convolution product
  • Fourier series and transform
  • Partial differential equations

I wasn't doubting you at all. Did it come across like that?

I was laughing at my own ignorance thinking that it all ended in Calculus III. :icon lol:

Surprisingly, in the Old days, people covered the entire Calculus text book in two semesters. But as time went on, applications and examples became plenty, they extended the book into several semesters. I even noticed the guy I quoted from quora listed Cal-5. I had no idea there was Cal-5 myself.

As text books get more crowded with real life applications, and the universities want to cover these real world applications for Calculus in the text books, I think they want students to cover the subject in a more spaced out time frame.

This was a difficult one. I had to use all 68 points of my IQ.

Self deperacating joke I see. No somali has 68 IQ. They have higher IQ levels including those who were born in Baadiyaha.

IQ levels are not accurate reflaction of anyone's intelligence. Some people are born with mental defficiency, and no one can blame them for being retards. With that said, this IQ business is propaganda used by eugenicists. Every human is capable to thrive provided with opportunities.

Last edited:
Surprisingly, in the Old days, people covered the entire Calculus text book in two semesters. But as time went on, applications and examples became plenty, they extended the book into several semesters. I even noticed the guy I quoted from quora listed Cal-5. I had no idea there was Cal-5 myself.

As text books get more crowded with real life applications, and the universities want to cover these real world applications for Calculus in the text books, I think they want students to cover the subject in a more spaced out time frame.
I can see Calculus I and Calculus II being one course. It makes no sense to separate them.

Calculus III can stand alone. This makes sense.

Calculus 4/5 is very different as well so I can see why it has to be its own course.

I can see Calculus I and Calculus II being one course. It makes no sense to separate them.

Calculus III can stand alone. This makes sense.

Calculus 4/5 is very different as well so I can see why it has to be its own course.

I guess so saxib. they must be adding to the levels as new applications of the math emerge.

Trending

Latest posts