Would you...

Would you befriend an ex-Muslim?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why, you lonely?

I don't think an ex-Muslim would want to be friends with me. I would try to give them dawah and their "overzealous-ayan-hersi-new-atheist-crazy-suddenly-I-am-an-expert-on-Islam-even-though-I-never-went-to-school-and-learnt-the-religion-self" would not be able to tolerate that.

If they can. Why not?

Jujuman

Accomplished Saaxir
Why, you lonely?

I don't think an ex-Muslim would want to be friends with me. I would try to give them dawah and their "overzealous-ayan-hersi-new-atheist-crazy-suddenly-I-am-an-expert-on-Islam-even-though-I-never-went-to-school-and-learnt-the-religion-self" would not be able to tolerate that.

If they can. Why not?

Fair enough. I'm of the opinion they can so long as religion isn't discussed.

Lol I'm not lonely.

I would try to give them dawah and their "overzealous-ayan-hersi-new-atheist-crazy-suddenly-I-am-an-expert-on-Islam-even-though-I-never-went-to-school-and-learnt-the-religion-self" would not be able to tolerate that.
That's funny because most Muslims who know that I'm an atheist figure out quickly that I know more about Islam than they do. So they end up showing me one youtube video after the other. The few that are knowledgeable about Islam lose perspective and have boxed style thinking where everything sources back to Islam (e.g. the Koran is true because it says so in the Koran). Non-knowledgeable ones perform better.

Jujuman

Accomplished Saaxir
That's funny because most Muslims who know that I'm an atheist figure out quickly that I know more about Islam than they do. So they end up showing me one youtube video after the other. The few that are knowledgeable about Islam lose perspective and have boxed style thinking where everything sources back to Islam (e.g. the Koran is true because it says so in the Koran). Non-knowledgeable ones perform better.

Easy saaxib, that's not what I made this thread for.
:whoa:

That's funny because most Muslims who know that I'm an atheist figure out quickly that I know more about Islam than they do. So they end up showing me one youtube video after the other. The few that are knowledgeable about Islam lose perspective and have boxed style thinking where everything sources back to Islam (the Koran is true because it says so in the Koran).

There are Muslims who are ignorant of their faith -- talking to ex-Muslims is good in a sense because it triggers them to learn more about Islam.

Equally there are ex-Muslims who say things that are untrue and ignorant about the religion because they are regurgitating the garbage that they hear/read from anti-Islam sites.These ex-Muslims are not exactly Sheikhs who studied the religion to a high degree from the source and then left. They are often young people, who were not practising to begin with and had no knowledge of how to seek Islamic knowledge and what to make of it once you obtained it. These people are merely following their desires. I call it blind disbelief.

Kanye

CISGENDERED,HETROSEXUAL MALE. PRONOUNS: HE,HIM,HIS
If they act like all the other non-Muslims and identify themselves as Atheists, Agnostics, Christians or whatever else instead of identifying as ex-Muslim. f*ck it, we could get along. In my specific scenario, I have a feeling there would be suppressed enmity on their part though.
:kanyeshrug:

I'm curious, do you Atheists have Muslim friends that are aware of your views? Are most of your friends non-Muslim?

Jujuman

Accomplished Saaxir
If they act like all the other non-Muslims and identify themselves as Atheists, Agnostics, Christians or whatever else instead of identifying as ex-Muslim. f*ck it, we could get along. In my specific scenario, I have a feeling there would be suppressed enmity on their part though.
:kanyeshrug:

I'm curious, do you Atheists have Muslim friends that are aware of your views? Are most of your friends non-Muslim?

There's a few Pakistanis I have good relations with on the same course as me who are aware of my ex-Muslim status. That said however I'm not sure if I'd consider them friends a informal acquaintance would be a better word.

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
Couple of my Somali friends are Atheists/Agnostic. A few of my Somali Muslim friends know of my ex Muslim status and we're cool.

My sisters know I'm an Atheist and one of them is a hijabi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending