World Bank education project released to the FGS.

bidenkulaha

GalYare
1F0D6D32-E520-4676-B5EE-4D4558D01E8B.jpeg

this was the mushaariic that was paused when FGS wanted to renegotiate it from previous education agreements where South Somalia-Puntland-SL shared 33%.

bidenkulaha

GalYare
3 options

• World Bank changed their policy on FGS-FMS agreement. Potentially leaving the usual stipulation agreements need unanimous consent. There recently was a conference where agreement was made on revenue and donor projects where all the FMS and Banadir shared them equally. This didn’t include PL. minister of finance said they’d soon release donor funds despite this.

• FGS went back to the old agreement

• PL compromised.

Last edited:

bidenkulaha

GalYare

Now former Finance Minister Elmi Nur talks about the larger education world bank project in the pipeline. Says it’s worth $200 million.

This is the project that needed agreement between FGS and PL and was on hold since February after PL cut ties and disagreed with FGS planned split (moving from SL-PL-S.Somalia to PL-GM-HS-KG-JL-Banadir similar to the new electricity project). Interesting

bidenkulaha

GalYare

Now former Finance Minister Elmi Nur talks about the larger education world bank project in the pipeline. Says it’s worth $200 million.

This is the project that needed agreement between FGS and PL and was on hold since February after PL cut ties and disagreed with FGS planned split (moving from SL-PL-S.Somalia to PL-GM-HS-KG-JL-Banadir similar to the new electricity project). Interesting
Total of 2 billion in World Bank projects. With $700mn in new projects set to be released soon.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP

Does the FGS want to give all FMS the same amount of money, and will KG receive the same amount of aid as SL? Or is the FGS insisting on giving SL 1/3 of the aid?

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
FGS has asked WB to deal with Somaliland directly
I know that. I am asking about how much they are getting vis a vis other FMS. Does the FGS allocate more money to SL than it does to PL or KGS? Is there any truth to the claim that SL receives 1/3 of everything?

bidenkulaha

GalYare
I know that. I am asking about how much they are getting vis a vis other FMS. Does the FGS allocate more money to SL than it does to PL or KGS? Is there any truth to the claim that SL receives 1/3 of everything?
The world bank’s old split was PL-SL-South Somalia so yes.

FGS just wants to cut SL out of Somalia world bank projects (world bank if they want can then do their own thing with them) and then split between the current FMS.

Regardless I don’t have an answer to your question on the new splits. All we know is PL was against FGS plans for world bank and seems like there’s been some behind closed doors talks/movement there. I’d like to know more

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
The world bank’s old split was PL-SL-South Somalia so yes.

FGS just wants to cut SL out of Somalia world bank projects (world bank if they want can then do their own thing with them) and then split between the current FMS.

Regardless I don’t have an answer to your question on the new splits. All we know is PL was against FGS plans for world bank and seems like there’s been some behind closed doors talks/movement there. I’d like to know more

I understand the FGS not wanting to block aid to SL, but why would they not want to have a role, even if it is ceremonial or procedural? That is a bad idea from the standpoint of asserting the FGS' sovereignty. Very stupid, no country in the world would accept that.

So the FGS wants to reduce the amount of aid Puntland receive by pooling South Central & PL aid and then divide it between the FMS and Banadir? That is a bad deal for Puntland if the pool does not include SL. Why should PL take a cut while SL continues to receive 1/3? Especially now that SL has lost almost all SSC territory?

SL should be treated as an FMS, why should it get more money than KGS?

bidenkulaha

GalYare
I understand the FGS not wanting to block aid to SL, but why would they not want to have a role, even if it is ceremonial or procedural? That is a bad idea from the standpoint of asserting the FGS' sovereignty. Very stupid, no country in the world would accept that.

So the FGS wants to reduce the amount of aid Puntland receive by pooling South Central & PL aid and then divide it between the FMS and Banadir? That is a bad deal for Puntland if the pool does not include SL. Why should PL take a cut while SL continues to receive 1/3? Especially now that SL has lost almost all SSC territory?

SL should be treated as an FMS, why should it get more money than KGS?
Part of the FGS job is to plan the projects with FMS and World Bank. They have no cooperation with SL so it seems to be time consuming and provides no benefit to FGS (outside of sovereignty point you make). We don’t know if SL gets a bigger share from that arrangement or not. I personally think they lose out as World Bank will prefer working with FGS and thereby the FMS’s it can cooperate with.

Also yes PL does lose out on that proposal hence the whole cutting ties and new World Bank proposals being frozen.

Trending