Why is the bar set so low for Somali men?

NomadicWarlord

THROW YO 〽️s UP‼️ #MJBLOCK 🇸🇱🇸🇱🇸🇱
you have no idea the amount of times I've seen somali guys drop out of college. It's insane wallahi :gucciwhat:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Well college aint for everyone at the end of the day no point in going there if you ain’t doing either stem medical lawyer or engineering :mjdontkno:

Kisame

Plotting world domination
Well college aint for everyone at the end of the day no point in going there if you ain’t doing either stem medical lawyer or engineering :mjdontkno:

Nomadic you down play college on here too much. Obviously there are other routes to success but uni is still a great route to take for people interested in breaking into the middle class.

The reality is young men raised in middle class families are the main ones getting stem degrees. They tend to have an easier time in university compared to poor minorities. Hence why our drop out rates would be higher. @Yaraye

Plus a decent amount of these guys aren't studying something they are passionate about because of family pressure. So now we got niggas struggling in stem courses they were never prepared for.

Ethnocentrism, dare I say Qabilocentrism, if your parents find a spouse from the same clan as you, they much prefer it over another Somali who may be more accomplished than the potential match, I don’t think it’s good or bad but it explains a lot.

Forget a foreigner, that is unrealistic and unacceptable by most Somali parents. The few who accept it usually turn on their foreign in laws after a couple of years, I’ve seen such a case.

but nevertheless, it all boils down to kinship ties and if that’s not possible for the family (they live somewhere with few Somalis) then a broad Somali ethnocentric viewpoint on marriage is adopted and another Somali match for their son or daughter is seen as acceptable

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Ethnocentrism, dare I say Qabilocentrism, if your parents find a spouse from the same clan as you, they much prefer it over another Somali who may be more accomplished than the potential match, I don’t think it’s good or bad but it explains a lot.

Forget a foreigner, that is unrealistic and unacceptable by most Somali parents. The few who accept it usually turn on their foreign in laws after a couple of years, I’ve seen such a case.

but nevertheless, it all boils down to kinship ties and if that’s not possible for the family (they live somewhere with few Somalis) then a broad Somali ethnocentric viewpoint on marriage is adopted and another Somali match for their son or daughter is seen as acceptable
I don't think so. In my family an advanced degree was always a requirement. It was assumed that a prospect would be just as credentialed from the same clan. It doesn't have to be either or. It was both and more. Albeit, this could be a micro-cultural thing. It's insane if you're lowering the bar for clan only as the main requirement. I'm sure there should be a bit more discernment beyond that and anyone with common sense would expect high standards regardless.

I don't think so. In my family an advanced degree was always a requirement. It was assumed that a prospect would be just as credentialed from the same clan. It doesn't have to be either or. It was both and more. Albeit, this could be a micro-cultural thing. It's insane if you're lowering the bar just for the clan, but oh well. Maybe some are like that.
I got lost in my train of thought but what I meant is that a Somali of the same clan who is equally accomplished as the potential match or a bit more, will be always deemed more suitable. Now if we expand that to include say an ajnabi match who is equally as accomplished if not a bit more than a Somali match, the Somali match will be chosen by the family, I hope you understand my point.

It’s not the accomplishments that outweigh the kinship ties but the other way around. But don’t get me wrong, both are extremely important.

NomadicWarlord

THROW YO 〽️s UP‼️ #MJBLOCK 🇸🇱🇸🇱🇸🇱
Nomadic you down play college on here too much. Obviously there are other routes to success but uni is still a great route to take for people interested in breaking into the middle class.

The reality is young men raised in middle class families are the main ones getting stem degrees. They tend to have an easier time in university compared to poor minorities. Hence why our drop out rates would be higher. @Yaraye

Plus a decent amount of these guys aren't studying something they are passionate about because of family pressure. So now we got niggas struggling in stem courses they were never prepared for.
Go ahead and watch these video down below if you really think that I “downplay” uni a lot :sass2:

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I don’t know where you live but they are in North America
Somalis marry within more than other Muslim communities. It's not 10%, but more like 5%. Also, a study from a decade ago found that men marry out more than women, and even that was minimal. The problem with Somalis is their spotlighting IR more hence the impression of it being more common than it is. If your social media algorithm suggests that, you may be tuned in more, meaning you'll see more of that content. Also, women, in general, are more likely to post about their relationships, while men sparingly do, which is another cognitive bias that could create a misleading impression.

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
If this doesn't apply to you, then don't be a fàggot and start having a meltdown, I'm speaking in general terms

If you're:
  • Gainfully employed (white-collar)
  • Fuent in aff Somali and banter with the Eedos
  • Dress well, keep up your grooming & hit the gym
  • Look after your parents and grandparents, take them to appointments, take them out to meals etc & generally treat them well
  • Graduated from a decent Uni with good grade
  • Take your deen somewhat seriously and attend the occassional Friday prayer

If you hit even 3 of the afformentioned 6 bullet-points, then you're basically seen as Saint. Irrespective of whatever dirt you might do on the side. But isn't this just the standard that you'd expect from most men? Why is it seen as such a momumental success in the Somali community not to be a f*ck-up failure loser?

It's crazy wallahi, random eedos will sing your praises and all the adeers try and cozy up to you in some weird attempt to try and set you up with their daughter. They're so quick to overlook all your other glaring flaws. "Waa Wiil fiican", If only you knew Abti:heh:

I reiterate; why is the bar set so low for Somali men? There's nothing praise-worthy about doing the bare minimum.

My dear Nak? Where have thau been?

seduction flirting GIF by Arika Sato

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I got lost in my train of thought but what I meant is that a Somali of the same clan who is equally accomplished as the potential match or a bit more, will be always deemed more suitable. Now if we expand that to include say an ajnabi match who is equally as accomplished if not a bit more than a Somali match, the Somali match will be chosen by the family, I hope you understand my point.

It’s not the accomplishments that outweigh the kinship ties but the other way around. But don’t get me wrong, both are extremely important.
That is a bit misleading as an Ajnabi match who is equal or greater in success is likely gaal, meaning religiously incompatible with lifestyle contrasts that make them unsuitable. Or more likely to marry from within their ethnic group if they are an uber-successful Muslim from another culture. Add to that possible cultural conflicts or incompatibilities requiring a greater learning curb and patience, which some may not tolerate. You have a greater chance of bagging a man from your clan or community who is similarly successful or greater, especially if you're well-connected.

That is a bit misleading as an Ajnabi match who is equal or greater in success is likely gaal, meaning religiously incompatible with lifestyle contrasts that make them unsuitable. Or more likely to marry from within their ethnic group if they are an uber-successful Muslim from another culture. Add to that possible cultural conflicts or incompatibilities requiring a greater learning curb and patience, which some may not tolerate. You have a greater chance of bagging a man from your clan or community who is similarly successful or greater, especially if you're well-connected.
I did not mean gaal, ajnabi but Muslim, a gaal is unfathomable, I think you understand my point, there is little need to debate semantics. Also to generalise successful ajnabis as being more endogamous is a bit misleading itself. There are some who marry out. However let us not stray from the topic at hand, we are discussing this from a somali perspective. Far be it from me to be all clued up about how other races and groups view endogamy.

Kisame

Plotting world domination
Go ahead and watch these video down below if you really think that I “downplay” uni a lot :sass2:

Cadaans make YouTube content like this but are still putting their children in universities.

Middle class Cadaans and Asians make up the majority of college campuses nation wide.

Trending

Latest posts