Why is Somalia the way it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox

31/12/16 - 04/04/20
VIP
You need to finish your A levels before you have this convo with me. Somalis are their stupidity. :kodaksmiley:

Can you read? Your hypocrisy is ridiculous when Caydiids son claimed Ethiopia and Somalia should be one.
ALLAH U NAXARISTO GENERAL MUJAAHID CAYDIID

there were hundreds of peace corps who taught in Somalia but none obsessed with Somalia and its people as you. Something happened while you were there but you don't want us to know. are you mad you couldn't convince one somali to believe in blue eye blond hair jesus? get lost old man

You're an ignorant jerk if you think that. I'm just the only one on Somali forums. Many of us remain in contact and work for Somali related projects such as the Somali Museum in Minnesota and the Somali collection at Indiana State University. What do you know about the fistula clinic in Borama or Amoud University? How about legal aid to Somali immigrants to the US? I'd be glad to fill you in if you are not just trolling.

You're an ignorant jerk if you think that. I'm just the only one on Somali forums. Many of us remain in contact and work for Somali related projects such as the Somali Museum in Minnesota and the Somali collection at Indiana State University. What do you know about the fistula clinic in Borama or Amoud University? How about legal aid to Somali immigrants to the US? I'd be glad to fill you in if you are not just trolling.

we don't know what work you do with the museum or the university because you never post them but we sure do know a lot of about how Samaalas are not somali or how yibirs are a different ethnicity all together. Why are all your posts one dimensional?

you exhibit all the symptoms of cuqdad, get it treated

we don't know what work you do with the museum or the university because you never post them but we sure do know a lot of about how Samaalas are not somali or how yibirs are a different ethnicity all together. Why are all your posts one dimensional?

you exhibit all the symptoms of cuqdad, get it treated

I don't do museum or linguistic work. My degree is in history and I like to read. What you see as uni-dimensional I see as reality on many levels, and I stand by the necessity of distinguishing between Somalis and Samaales. Until you get past that you will not understand your own history or the significance of Aw Barkhadle.

fox

31/12/16 - 04/04/20
VIP
I don't do museum or linguistic work. My degree is in history and I like to read. What you see as uni-dimensional I see as reality on many levels, and I stand by the necessity of distinguishing between Somalis and Samaales. Until you get past that you will not understand your own history or the significance of Aw Barkhadle.
Grant you dont wash your bum why should we listen to you?

Grant you dont wash your bum why should we listen to you?

Your logic there is pretty bad. I shower or bathe. If you can't do that, or wash at least with soap, the right-hand/left-hand thing is ineffective, and in any case has no absolute relationship with truth.

Check photos of Somalis eating. The children use both hands and contaminate the rim of most dishes. It is better than nothing, but still ineffective. You have cholera whenever water is short.

Last edited:

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Somalia is a semi desert country, any interruption in the very limited growing season means starvation for a million or so people and malnutrition for almost everyone else. We can't afford not having political stability unlike many other countries in Africa. The land is already marginal and a stable political climate is absolutly necessary for the survival of the vast majority of people. This reality has been masked over the past 2 decades by the enormous amounts of food aid the world gives Somalia each year. Somalia is a very poor country in almost all aspects, and it has a terribly chaotic political climate.

In other African countries militiamen fight over diamond mines, oil fields, gold etc... Somalia has no such wealth and the only source of revenue is taxation. So militia fight each other to control more people whom they can then tax. Somalia's poverty is at the stem of all of its problems.

I'm not sure you deserve a response beyond the one I gave Yonis, but anyway:. I was in the US Peace Corps and taught English at the Government School in Jilib. I am not religious and have had no religious affiliation since I turned 18. Now, go take a long walk on a short pier.
Tell me what's ur solution to the problems that had befallen on Somalia and somalis from an outsider point of view?

Tell me what's ur solution to the problems that had befallen on Somalia and somalis from an outsider point of view?

I don't think there is any one, simple, solution. A lot of things might help, but whenever I have suggested things like forage crops for low moisture environments or hay creation and storage for drought use, the response has been negative to just above zero. Gurey on Somnet agreed with me that the tugs in the North and the Nugaal could be dammed for water storage, but that went nowhere.

There seems to be a culture of reliance on outside projects and funding that has developed since I was in the country. The 60's were all about making the country unitary and self sufficient and that has disappeared.

I have had my hopes dashed again and again, the same as you. All I know is to help those I know as I can and to nibble corners here and there in the history department.

Sorry. I don't have any brilliant political or social magic bullets. Sadly, I suspect this is one of those situations that just has to be muddled through. The political unknowns at this point, and the future and weather unknowns, are just too great.

I don't think there is any one, simple, solution. A lot of things might help, but whenever I have suggested things like forage crops for low moisture environments or hay creation and storage for drought use, the response has been negative to just above zero. Gurey on Somnet agreed with me that the tugs in the North and the Nugaal could be dammed for water storage, but that went nowhere.

There seems to be a culture of reliance on outside projects and funding that has developed since I was in the country. The 60's were all about making the country unitary and self sufficient and that has disappeared.

I have had my hopes dashed again and again, the same as you. All I know is to help those I know as I can and to nibble corners here and there in the history department.

Sorry. I don't have any brilliant political or social magic bullets. Sadly, I suspect this is one of those situations that just has to be muddled through. The political unknowns at this point, and the future and weather unknowns, are just too great.
When was the last time u went to Somalia? What region did u visit? What exactly did u do in somalia? Do u have any business there? How did u find out this site

When was the last time u went to Somalia? What region did u visit? What exactly did u do in somalia? Do u have any business there? How did u find out this site

Started in Hargeisa, then Burcao to Taleex. Back to Hargeisa. Trade truck to Mog. Trade truck to Kismayo. Bus to Jilib. Trip to Eyl, passing Dhusamareeb. Week in Baraawe.

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/am-i-the-oldest.19836/

I taught English at the Government School in Jilib.

I have been on Somnet since 2005. The Menace found my friends in Columbus, Ohio, and I followed him.

Started in Hargeisa, then Burcao to Taleex. Back to Hargeisa. Trade truck to Mog. Trade truck to Kismayo. Bus to Jilib. Trip to Eyl, passing Dhusamareeb. Week in Baraawe.

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/am-i-the-oldest.19836/

I taught English at the Government School in Jilib.

I have been on Somnet since 2005. The Menace found my friends in Columbus, Ohio, and I followed him.
How long did u stay in Somalia? At that time what was the country like? Have u came across any problems.

How long did u stay in Somalia? At that time what was the country like? Have u came across any problems.

I taught the 1966-67 school year, for a total time in-country of 13 months. There was a brand new asphalt road from Kismayo to Jilib and excellent daily bus service. But once the rains started the road to Mog became impassable. The mail stopped and I was isolated in an area that had spoken Italian and understood almost no English. I had been taught some Mahaa, but was not prepared for the Maay and Boon that was actually spoken.

There was excitement about independence, and a general feeling of cooperation and hope. Folks were friendly, even if they couldn't communicate. The Italians had recently left and the shayukh were establishing their control. Wood carvings had just been forbidden and there was concern about the local dancing. I took a Gosha friend, the son of the Mayor of Jilib, to Kismayo once and was told I must never do it again. Kismayo was seen as a Darood town, and the Gosha were not welcome.

Baraawe was a hive of industry. They had a leather tannery, water bottling plant and a city water system based on very deep, hand-dug wells. One person was making one-pot charcoal stoves from a local clay. Another man was creating his own soil in the seaside sand and growing vegetables.

What do you mean by "problems"?

I taught the 1966-67 school year, for a total time in-country of 13 months. There was a brand new asphalt road from Kismayo to Jilib and excellent daily bus service. But once the rains started the road to Mog became impassable. The mail stopped and I was isolated in an area that had spoken Italian and understood almost no English. I had been taught some Mahaa, but was not prepared for the Maay and Boon that was actually spoken.

There was excitement about independence, and a general feeling of cooperation and hope. Folks were friendly, even if they couldn't communicate. The Italians had recently left and the shayukh were establishing their control. Wood carvings had just been forbidden and there was concern about the local dancing. I took a Gosha friend, the son of the Mayor of Jilib, to Kismayo once and was told I must never do it again. Kismayo was seen as a Darood town, and the Gosha were not welcome.

Baraawe was a hive of industry. They had a leather tannery, water bottling plant and a city water system based on very deep, hand-dug wells. One person was making one-pot charcoal stoves from a local clay. Another man was creating his own soil in the seaside sand and growing vegetables.

What do you mean by "problems"?
Oh nice, what I meant by problems was did u get robbed got into a fight ect.

Oh nice, what I meant by problems was did u get robbed got into a fight ect.

My leather gloves disappeared at Tallex. I washed a pair of jeans in Hargeisa after the trip to Taleex, put them out to dry, and they disappeared. I had rocks thrown at me when I visited the Qat market.

Folks in the South were considerably more respectful and I never had trouble there. My friends and two sequential landlords in Jilib took very good care of me. One visited me in California in the summer of 1969 and I remained in contact with several up until mail service was cut off under the Kacaan.
I had to join Somnet to get back into contact. Continuing thanks to Menace for that.

Last edited:

Cognitivedissonance

A sane man to an insane society must appear insane
Stay WOKE
VIP
It's really simple Somalis didn't like the dictator siad barre so they overthrew him but in Mogadishu the capital city hawiye stated to kill at the Somalis that didn't belong to their tribe that's why there's a bomb going off in Mogadishu every other day because of the Muslim blood that has been spilt in the accursed city.

Isaac killing many dhulbhante samaroon and hate anyone who isn't Isaac but they need dhulbhante & warsengeli cause without them they can't get icitiraaf and harti will never join Isaac cause there's no relations between harti & idoori.

My leather gloves disappeared at Tallex. I washed a pair of jeans in Hargeisa after the trip to Taleex, put them out to dry, and they disappeared. I had rocks thrown at me when I visited the Qat market.

Folks in the South were considerably more respectful and I never had trouble there. My friends and two sequential landlords in Jilib took very good care of me. One visited me in California in the summer of 1969 and I remained in contact with several up until mail service was cut off under the Kacaan.
I had to join Somnet to get back into contact.
Ur very lucky to have seen Somalia at its birth and at its most united time in history, it's really unfortunate that some leaders hijacked the trust of the people for their own petty gains for pennies and ended up putting us in this very fragile state where we don't even control our own borders and maritimes, the mistrust between Somalis is too great to ever go back to the era u seen as u can tell by the fadhi ku dirir sessions here by the diasporas.

What did u like about Jilib so much, I seen in ur thread that u wanted to retire in jilib?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending