Why is it bad for Somaliland to get recognised?

As someone who’s not from the north I don’t understand why I should care is Somaliland stays a part of Somalia.

For Hawiyes its an welcoming gift that SL gains its independence, but if you are darood than its bad for you that Somaliland becomes independent, simply because you will than have 3 Irir states (Hawiye's Somalia, Isaaqs Somaliland and Cisa Djibouti) who all have 1 thing in Common, which is their shared hatred for anything Darood.

These 3 Irir States will be doing co-operation in subjugating Daroods in their lands, Cisa will be supported to subjugate Ogadens in Ethiopia Somali State, Isaaq will be supported to keep their pets (Warsangali and Dhulbahante) on leash, and Hawiye will be supported to keep the treacherous mjs under their subjugation.

Heck even SL and DJ will give Hawiye's Somalia who is under Embargo heavy weapons to subjugate the annoying mjs under full occupation.

So haviing said that, we Hawiye deeply welcome our Isaaq Irir brother's Somaliland independence

VIVA IRIR STATES.

Last edited:
@Bluefire it should be a positive for all ethnic Somalis to have a third Somali majority country in the UN. Arabs have multiple countries including 6 in the GCC. What would be terrible is if either SL or Djibouti gets absorbed into Ethiopia

Zapfox1

I may be wrong but it's highly unlikely
@Bluefire it should be a positive for all ethnic Somalis to have a third Somali majority country in the UN. Arabs have multiple countries including 6 in the GCC. What would be terrible is if either SL or Djibouti gets absorbed into Ethiopia
You reckon if SL got recognition and became their own country, they’d have good relations with Somalia?

For Hawiyes its an welcoming gift that SL gains its independence, but if you are darood than its bad for you that Somaliland becomes independent, simply because you will than have 3 Irir states (Hawiye's Somalia, Isaaqs Somaliland and Cisa Djibouti) who all have 1 thing in Common, which is their shared hatred for anything Darood.

These 3 Irir States will be doing co-operation in subjugating Daroods in their lands, Cisa will be supported to subjugate Ogadens in Ethiopia Somali State, Isaaq will be supported to keep their pets (Warsangali and Dhulbahante) on leash, and Hawiye will be supported to keep the treacherous mjs under their subjugation.

Heck even SL and DJ will give Hawiye's Somalia who is under Embargo heavy weapons to subjugate the annoying mjs under full occupation.

So haviing said that, we Hawiye deeply welcome our Isaaq Irir brother's Somaliland independence

VIVA IRIR STATES.
Darood has been presidents in Somalia for roughly 35 years combined since independence. What makes you think they’re going anywhere 🤣

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP

There are almost 70 million people in the GCC and its over four times the area of Somalia.

Absolutely ludicrous comparison.

:dead:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
The reason for why SL shouldn’t be a country is simple:

There is no good reason for there to be another Somali-majority nation.

Also there is the mantra of don’t focus on something new when something is unfinished. Somalis have a failed state and want to create another country. Cadaans don’t care about the difference between SL or Somalia, what they see is that Somalis destroyed their country and want to make another one.

Last edited:

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP

What If they hypothetically throw away the Somali name and start identifying their clans as ethnic groups and their accent as a seperate dialect and rename the country:cosbyhmm:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
What If they hypothetically throw away the Somali name and start identifying their clans as ethnic groups and their accent as a seperate dialect and rename the country:cosbyhmm:

No anthropologist will fall for it.

These cadaans have probably studied Somalis and Somalia more than any other ethnicity.

No one is falling for the “we wuz different wallahi”.

There are almost 70 million people in the GCC and its over four times the area of Somalia.

Absolutely ludicrous comparison.

:dead:
I don't agree with it being a reason for Somaliland's independence, but it is nowhere near a "ludicrous" a comparison as you make it out to be.

Outside of Saudi Arabia, which makes up more than half the population of the GCC, the other countries' populations all very small populations, or are comparable to Somalia in the case of UAE. With the UAE, 90% of the circa 10 million are immigrant workers, so really it is a country of about 1m if we are talking about native populations.

Bahrain - ~1m
Qatar - ~2.5m
Kuwait - ~4m
Oman - ~5m

So it is really only a bad comparison because Saudi Arabia is in the GCC. Outside of that it'd be a very apt comparison. You'd have a much smaller Arab population that has 5 seats in the UN whose Arab population would be about the same as Somalia & Somaliland combined.

Your reason is neither simple nor logical. What would be fundamentally wrong with having multiple countries that have Somali majorities?

Last edited:
No anthropologist will fall for it.

These cadaans have probably studied Somalis and Somalia more than any other ethnicity.

No one is falling for the “we wuz different wallahi”.
Actually, Somali's are probably amongst the least studied African ethnicities there is. Almost no anthropologists have focused on Somalis as their area of study, and outside of of a very small group of writers like I.M. Lewis, Somalis are historically almost not studied at all.

I briefly considered it is as an area of study (Anthropology study of Somalis) when I was considering Uni options.

Also there is the mantra of don’t focus on something new when something is unfinished. Somalis have a failed state and want to create another country. Cadaans don’t care about the difference between SL or Somalia, what they see is that Somalis destroyed their country and want to make another one.
Just admit you're emotionally against the existence of somaliland and stop pretending to be rational.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Actually, Somali's are probably amongst the least studied African ethnicities there is. Almost no anthropologists have focused on Somalis as their area of study, and outside of of a very small group of writers like I.M. Lewis, Somalis are historically almost not studied at all.

I briefly considered it is as an area of study (Anthropology study of Somalis) when I was considering Uni options.

That’s true.

Generally social scientists have covered Somalia in dept tho, not necessarily anthropologists, but economists, diplomats, academics or policy analysts. Similar to the Balkans.

As a result, I don’t think any social scientist will fall for any new ethnicity coming out of Somalia. Somalia is already considered one of the most homogenous countries in Africa.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
Just admit you're emotionally against the existence of somaliland and stop pretending to be rational.

No, I have no issue with Somaliland. I’ve been there and generally don’t oppose any development.

I don’t even mind that SL is seeking succession and doesn’t want anything to do with Somalia.

My opinion is that SL will only get recognition when Mogadishu gives it and they won’t until they get their house in order.

By that time, most of the qualms about Somalia will be irrelevant and there would be more to gain from joining an established nation state than staying in an unrecognised one.

TLDR: I don’t have any issue with Somaliland but I just find the idea of another Somali country stupid.

Trending