Why is hijab forced at such a young age? And why is there stigma for not wearing one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
I was talking to my cousin the other day who is super religious and she was talking about how she was disappointed about her two dugsi students not wearing their hijabs, MIND YOU they are both 8 and 9. Why are Somali people like this? I don't see anyone else in the muslim community in the west who is more extreme than Somali people, even Paki's aren't as extreme when it comes to hijab. I feel like Somali's are more obsessed with the image that comes with deen rather than the deen itself. Why should a 5 year old girl be forced to wear hijab, when she doesnt even know the meaning behind it?

Personally I dont wear my hijab anymore after wearing it through 3-18, I didnt even know what I was wearing I just knew it was part of my everyday clothing. By the time I grew older I knew I didnt want to wear it anymore but I didnt want to face backlash from the community so I did it when I graduated. And when I did, I feel like everyone started to perceive me differently, Somali men (mostly fobs) thought I was a loose girl, my mom's friend told her I was caayala suuq and warned my mother I could be up to something, My hooyo snapped! And told her "at least she knew where her daughter wasnt going out smoking shisha and flirting with boys" because thats what the friend's daughter was doing.

Even Arabs feel the need to police me as well, I've had numerous encounters with arab women who would ask me why I'm not wearing a skirt? Why is my hair sticking out? Why am I showing my earrings? YALL at 13 I went out with my older sister (22) and didnt wear a hijab and legit her friend who started wearing her hijab LAST YEAR was talking "where is your sisters hijab" to a 13 year old, can you imagine!

No one else does this to their girls except Somalis. Arabs, Paki's, North Africans they dont force their girls to wear skirts and hijabs the way Somali's do.

Making them wear it at a young age helps them grow into it. The more you normalize it, the more likely they are to feel comfortable in it. Pakistanis, Maghrebis, and Arabs don't have their women wearing it as much as we do so that shows that making them wear it young actually works into making them wear it when they're old. Yes, how they actually behave and practice is important but how they present themselves is also important as well. A grown woman who doesn't wear the hijab and a grown woman who does but smokes shisha are both sinning. I hope Allah (subhanu wa tala) guides you and makes you love your deen again.

I think a lot of Somali girls would be amazed at how easy it is to take it off.

like most, I've worn a veil since i was a child (8ish) but in my teens, i simply got sick of it. It never was my choice and obviously, it didn't represent me and my values. One day on my way too school i took it off and put it in my backpack.

i never disclosed this with my mom beforehand, never discussed the whole modesty topic. I didn't know what her reaction would be, suprise suprise: she was angry! but she figured i wouldn't budge so she got her big girl pants on. Other Somali girls i know have done the same.

Stop being little es. If you want change, do something! stop talking about judgment, stereotypes and nosy relatives.... If you can't even muster the courage to disagree with your parents don't talk about freedom lmao. :ohno:

I think a lot of Somali girls would be amazed at how easy it is to take it off.

like most, I've worn a veil since i was a child (8ish) but in my teens, i simply got sick of it. It never was my choice and obviously, it didn't represent me and my values. One day on my way too school i took it off and put it in my backpack.

i never disclosed this with my mom beforehand, never discussed the whole modesty topic. I didn't know what her reaction would be, suprise suprise: she was angry! but she figured i wouldn't budge so she got her big girl pants on. Other Somali girls i know have done the same.

Stop being little es. If you want change, do something! stop talking about judgment, stereotypes and nosy relatives.... If you can't even muster the courage to disagree with your parents don't talk about freedom lmao. :ohno:
Loool nice non niqabi pic

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
My parents let my sisters choose to wear it. Other then my oldest sister the others only wear it for special occasions. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Yeah, a parent is allowed to instill their values and deen on their child.

He said forced. There's nothing wrong about teaching/including kids in your religious practices, but why the f*ck do people act like their children are personal property? "yeah you're my little doll, i dress you and dictate your life :)"

Regg

Stroking my Australinimo
Not wearing hijab at young age means you’re will feel more reluctant to wearing it when you grow older because you’re not used to it.

That’s why it’s important to have them wear it and teach them so they can be prepared to be committed to wearing hijab properly permanetly later on.

Tukraq

VIP
He said forced. There's nothing wrong about teaching/including kids in your religious practices, but why the f*ck do people act like their children are personal property? "yeah you're my little doll, i dress you and dictate your life :)"
Nothing wrong with force

Gojo Satoru

Staff Member
Because Somali parents think that wearing hijab at young age somehow automatically makes you a better Muslim. Meanwhile I know many hijabis that suck dick and smoke weed :hillarybiz:

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP

:gucciwhat:Thats literally what all parents have done since the beginning of time, until they are adults, kids are given rules to follow based on that persons beliefs.

IstarZ

A mere finger can’t obscure the sun.
Somali parents should emphasize the importance of akhlaaq instead of just enforcing the hijab from a young age. You have girls who wear hijab but have zero hayaa, tell me what’s the point marka? Outward appearance shouldn’t be the main focus. Teach your kids adaab first.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Somali parents should emphasize the importance of akhlaaq instead of just enforcing the hijab from a young age. You have girls who wear hijab but have zero hayaa, tell me what’s the point marka? Outward appearance shouldn’t be the main focus. Teach your kids adaab first.
What a dumb argument. Being covered is the first phase of learning akhlaaq and self respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending