why is discussing mental health a taboo in somali society?

it's so upsetting. people who struggle with mental health issues aren't "insane". they want help too!!! i was in hargeisa for a while and i saw individuals struggling with mental illnesses being chained to trees. idc abt what they did or why they got chained, but that's so inhumane. a lot of somalis still carry this mentality when coming to the west and it breaks my heart. somalis who struggle with mental illness deserve to get the support they need. throwing them in random "cilaaj" facilities won't help a single bit. please be nicer to those struggling with mental illnesses and support them ;;;

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
When you’re a poor country, treating mentally ill people humanely is the least of your concerns. Hard but honest truth

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
it's so upsetting. people who struggle with mental health issues aren't "insane". they want help too!!! i was in hargeisa for a while and i saw individuals struggling with mental illnesses being chained to trees. idc abt what they did or why they got chained, but that's so inhumane. a lot of somalis still carry this mentality when coming to the west and it breaks my heart. somalis who struggle with mental illness deserve to get the support they need. throwing them in random "cilaaj" facilities won't help a single bit. please be nicer to those struggling with mental illnesses and support them ;;;

How is your mental health huuno? Is Hooyo okey?

How is your mental health huuno? Is Hooyo okey?
hi walaalo! my mental health hasn't been so great lately. i accidentally OD'd on one of my anti-depressants and i've been having these horrible side effects from them (restlessness, easily agitated, panic attacks e.t.c). hooyo is doing ok alx!!!!

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
hi walaalo! my mental health hasn't been so great lately. i accidentally OD'd on one of my anti-depressants and i've been having these horrible side effects from them (restlessness, easily agitated, panic attacks e.t.c). hooyo is doing ok alx!!!!

Listen to Quran. Stay at home. Call you hooyo.

Chained to trees?? :faysalwtf: I think it has something to do with a lack of education and knowledge on mental illnesses. We need to equip Somalis with some brain power to help tackle mental illnesses and also change the narrative of it being something shameful and instead something to work on

yikes, why are you depressed sis, is there something empty in your life that you want/need being filled?

Chained to trees?? :faysalwtf: I think it has something to do with a lack of education and knowledge on mental illnesses. We need to equip Somalis with some brain power to help tackle mental illnesses and also change the narrative of it being something shameful and instead something to work on

yikes, why are you depressed sis, is there something empty in your life that you want/need being filled?
agreed!! and idk, i'm just tired of living. every day feels like i'm repeating this endless cycle of despair. i feel unloved and i'm lonely as hell. i just wish that i'd be of use to someone, anyone. i wish i wasn't as worthless as i currently am

Villainess

smooth talk on a rainy summer evening
agreed!! and idk, i'm just tired of living. every day feels like i'm repeating this endless cycle of despair. i feel unloved and i'm lonely as hell. i just wish that i'd be of use to someone, anyone. i wish i wasn't as worthless as i currently am
No one is worthless. I went through that period of life where you feel like shit. Especially during quarantine. Wake up, eat, sleep. Horrible.

It got so bad that I felt numb and had no reactions nor emotions to anything. Seek therapy please or feel free to DM me anytime❤❤

Don't feel that way, life has much to offer, think of a future that you would want, and think about what you would have to do to achieve it, also about being lonely, just know that this is normal and that in the end we are our own person and we are going to be alone all things considered, instead of feeling sad love your individual self

i know im bad at giving advice i tried :dead:

also why do you think every day is a cycle of "despair" why that word

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Because sadly a lot of Somalis (mainly the elder generation) assume mental illness = jinn

well. 50% of the times, Somali mental disorder is from Jinn.

The Somali specie is a particular favorite for Jinns to attach, attack. and inhabit in their bodies.

Don't ask how i know :)

AishaBarri

It’s not that serious
I know we haven’t interacted yet but what you said really resonated with me. You can message me whenever. Don’t ever feel alone. I know I’m some random online lol but I care ❤️

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
It’s not just a Somali issue but I’ve seen it with Arabs,South Asians,AA,West Africans. It’s a taboo in most ethnic minorities. Most of those don’t believe Mental Health is real thing.

Anyways I hope you’re doing well. You see I’m not always a petty on SSpot @Hals :mjpls:

It’s not just a Somali issue but I’ve seen it with Arabs,South Asians,AA,West Africans. It’s a taboo in most ethnic minorities. Most of those don’t believe Mental Health is real thing.

Anyways I hope you’re doing well. You see I’m not always a petty on SSpot @Hals :mjpls:
Maanta yaa kaa fiican

bobsburger

I am NOT a federal agent
my anti-depressants
Please don't take those they are poison.
your depression or sadness is a symptom not a disease. find the root cause of your depression and try to change it. It might be school, work, lack of vitamin, d or spiritual matters. SSRI's turn normal people into zombies. Your not sick its society that is sick and your body and mind know that. A change of diet and lifestyle would help instead of meds.

Trending

Latest posts