Why have Somali girls stopped wearing the hijab?

It seems like just 5 or 6 years ago, it was rare to see Somali girls without the hijab but the past few years, it seems like most young Somali women no longer wear it. Why do you think that is?
Seems like a big generalization… :farmajoyaab:

you can’t just categorize all Somali women in the diaspora. Go to Somalia, majority of Somali women are wearing hijab.

this still wasn't most somali women lmfao. somalis were and still are nomadic. hijab has no use to a nomadic woman and don't tell me that nomadic women wwere out here wearing jilbab either lol
220px-Somali_woman_in_traditional_dress_Circa_1940.jpg
777b387326c7f94774aaa9489e0daab8.jpg

this still wasn't most somali women lmfao. somalis were and still are nomadic. hijab has no use to a nomadic woman and don't tell me that nomadic women wwere out here wearing jilbab either lol
Which one is tradition & which one isn't?
IMG_20220221_155458.jpg

Imagine being:

- Black
-Visibly Muslim
- Woman

recipe for disaster in the west. These women are doing what’s best for their safety and for them to advance themselves :manny:

clearly the first one but I am sure you wear western clothes yourself such as shirts and pants kkkk. funny how Somali men wear western clothes but God Forbid a woman does
Strawmen the point isnt about western,arab,Somali clothes .its about modesty according to Islam.

You can wear western clothes as long they modest.

The other day there was a thread said “did somali women normalize wearing the hijab in west?” And now like a day later “why somali girls stop wearing hijab” But as usual this post is going to get to trending faster than the other :vo3yidw:
Lol that was my thread smh too many ignored it
IMO many are becoming part time hijabis . I wear a scarf to work but when I’m out I wear my hair out lol

clearly the first one but I am sure you wear western clothes yourself such as shirts and pants kkkk. funny how Somali men wear western clothes but God Forbid a woman does
You are what we call a 'dayuuth'.

Afaraha dumarka ka bax kansaryahow.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I don't really know if you're very well-versed in Somali culture (Pre-Civil War) But covering your hair used to be a signifier that a woman was married. Girls (unmarried females) largely did not cover their hair. The exceptions are in the fringes (ethnic minorities or those few Somali families often from the South) that practiced it prior to marriage.

I don't really know if you're very well-versed in Somali culture (Pre-Civil War) But covering your hair used to be a signifier that a woman was married. Girls (unmarried females) largely did not cover their hair. The exceptions are in the fringes (ethnic minorities or those few Somali families often from the South) that practiced it prior to marriage.
I'm not an expert & I don't need to be to point out the bullshit that Somalis were naked & wore nothing until the civil war .

Trending