why don't people in Somalia eat chicken.

NotMyL

"You are your best thing"
VIP
The same Somalis who don’t eat fish? How is sea food not huge thing in Somalia I will never understand.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
you know what is weirder, that we Somalis have the longest coast of Africa and we don't eat fish as much as we eat meat

It's called the Cushitic fish taboo. Xabashis historically practiced it too. Our ancestors generally didn't like eating fish for some unknown reason. It was about as culturally taboo as pork is in Judaism and Islam. Nevertheless, there were always minority fishermen and coastal people who fished and ate the stuff but they were abhorred by the rest of the Somali population.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
somalis actually like chicken but there are no chicken farms in Somalia. Almost all the chicken in Somalia are imported and are only sold in some grocery stores that have lots of fridges.

Somalis are now developing a taste for fish since meat is overly expensive due to shortage of livestock. Fish is brought from berbera daily and many somalis have it on their menu.

somalis actually like chicken but there are no chicken farms in Somalia. Almost all the chicken in Somalia are imported and are only sold in some grocery stores that have lots of fridges.

Somalis are now developing a taste for fish since meat is overly expensive due to shortage of livestock. Fish is brought from berbera daily and many somalis have it on their menu.

That's not entirely true. Chicken farms do exist at the moment but we obviously need more. Also, smallscale chicken breeders exist in different regions which is sent to local markets alongside the imported chicken which needs to be abandoned.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
That's not entirely true. Chicken farms do exist at the moment but we obviously need more. Also, smallscale chicken breeders exist in different regions which is sent to local markets alongside the imported chicken which needs to be abandoned.

Xamar is catching up. They need to invest in chicken farms up North.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Xamar is catching up. They need to invest in chicken farms up North.
true cause from what I know there ain't much chicken let alone a chicken farm here most the chicken is frozen and stored in supermarkets and they taste very bland

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Chicken farms are in the waqooy too but farners need more investments to expand.

Didn't know that I wonder if restaurants and hotels go to them for chicken?

Or they should just put a higher price to export chicken so that shops instead go buy from the chicken farm

reer

VIP
Didn't know that I wonder if restaurants and hotels go to them for chicken?

Or they should just put a higher price to export chicken so that shops instead go buy from the chicken farm
chicken is expensive and not widely available in xamar. and in kismayo it was practically rare. chicken is lower tier meat compared to goat sheep and camel. geel ari and wan taste better and are healthier than digaag and hilib lo'. theyre also cleaner animals than chickens.

Happy_

Laa ta aamin nin wa law kaana ninkaaga- bom!
True. We ate a lot of fish at my grand-parents house. Almost everyday. It was so good.
Soomaha, I‘ve never tasted such high quality fish before wallahi, it‘s soooo sweet, whereas here in europe it tastes so bland :stressed:

The overconsumption of cattle is one of the reasons for famine and food insecurity in Somalia. We overgraze the land while we have the longest coastline and we could grow huge amount chicken with the fraction of land needed for cattle.

Wallahi when I look at Somalia, I see many problems that could be solved very easily. I actually plan to establish a chicken farm back home.

Starving people will gladly change their diets.

Muzaffer

𝕮𝖔𝖒𝖗𝖆𝖉𝖊 𝕲𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖗𝖆𝖑
The overconsumption of cattle is one of the reasons for famine and food insecurity in Somalia. We overgraze the land while we have the longest coastline and we could grow huge amount chicken with the fraction of land needed for cattle.

Wallahi when I look at Somalia, I see many problems that could be solved very easily. I actually plan to establish a chicken farm back home.

you have my support :salute:

very true and also chicken if raised like the way they raised in other countries can be cheaper than other meat and doesn't need that much land to raise.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Eating fish every day, especially big ones like tuna is not good for your brain and health in general because of mercury. Meat is probably better, like look at the fish focused nations like Asians, no meat no milk = short

Muzaffer

𝕮𝖔𝖒𝖗𝖆𝖉𝖊 𝕲𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖗𝖆𝖑
Eating fish every day, especially big ones like tuna is not good for your brain and health in general because of mercury. Meat is probably better, like look at the fish focused nations like Asians, no meat no milk = short
I know but they should eat meat and chicken and fish and not only one dish