Why does religion play such a big role in the lives of so many people?

Toriye

Sheekhaagu waa kuma?
Wait really? Who is "we" in this equation I am hooyo mataalo so I use what I hear around me I ain't got a clue what region uses this term.
I am pretty sure miswaak is an Arabic word. We, in this case, is the Somali people. Sxb waad ciyaaraysa, ini cidi afka kaa badin waan ogahay.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

@Toriye
I have never even mentioned a specific religion. I just framed this interesting question in hopes of spurring a healthy discussion. The question simply wonders if humans are predisposed to believe in religion in order to function well as sentient life forms.

From an evolutionary point, religion was selected for its social cohesion.

There really isn't anything more to it from an atheistic perspective. If you're a convinced atheist that should satisfy you.

Toriye

Sheekhaagu waa kuma?
@Toriye

From an evolutionary point, religion was selected for its social cohesion.

There really isn't anything more to it from an atheistic perspective. If you're a convinced atheist that should satisfy you.
That is one way to look at it, but sxb why do you seem so defensive? :yacadiim:
I don't have an agenda here ya know, not trying to attack you either

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Toriye

Sheekhaagu waa kuma?
Kkkkkk stop reading in angry voice Warya.

Wanted to give you an atheist friendly perspective.
You are making insinuations that make you seem hostile. Never mind that though. The question itself is very simple and isn't one that undermines Islam in any way, so there is no need to be defensive. We can have a meaningful and constructive conversation without being opposed to Islam. For instance, if we know that Islam is the one true religion, then all other religions are shams. Therefore, is it wrong to wonder why these people chose to follow these fake religions? What underlying sentiments drew them to these religions, are people incapable of being without a religion? We should be able to discuss this kind of topic without accusing each other of being atheists. :axvmm9o:

When you endow sentient life with the intelligence and wisdom to realize that they will die someday and cease to exist forever, at limbo in nowhere for eternity. Is it then surprising that life will find a way to cope with this existential crisis? Nearly every culture has some higher power that is looking out for them, and there is almost always some form of an afterlife. Is this a coincidence, what are your thoughts on this?

Religion/God is a coping mechanism for the existential truth of death. That is why in most religion you will find an emphasis on the afterlife rather in our current life.

There is also a need for objectivity and God fills that role. If you think about it this way, all humans have natural freedom, subjective thoughts and an instinct for survival. all of these three can easily create a cesspool of chaos. We have a hierarchical system ingrained in our societies and everyone wants to be at the top and everyone feels like they have to be at the top. God is supposed to be this impartial and objective being that holds humans accountable and levelled. He claims that he is this supreme being and no one is above him, so the top spot of this hierarchy is preserved for him. He has also sent prophets to delay his message and act as an ambassador for their religion which put them after God in this Hierarchy. He also claims that all humans are equal and will not be judged for his wealth rather his actions so that reserves the rest of the hierarchy for the "good" people. Most of the world, especially the pre-modern world, lived in poverty, today we always talk about the 1% that are wealthy, in this hierarchy, these people are above the 1% because wealth is not a qualifier.

In summary, God makes people feel more important than they really are and it is a way to make the unknown hereafter lesser unknown.

Just my two cents:axvmm9o:

You are making insinuations that make you seem hostile. Never mind that though. The question itself is very simple and isn't one that undermines Islam in any way, so there is no need to be defensive. We can have a meaningful and constructive conversation without being opposed to Islam. For instance, if we know that Islam is the one true religion, then all other religions are shams. Therefore, is it wrong to wonder why these people chose to follow these fake religions? What underlying sentiments drew them to these religions, are people incapable of being without a religion? We should be able to discuss this kind of topic without accusing each other of being atheists. :axvmm9o:

I am an Atheist.

upload_2020-3-4_22-2-2.gif

Religion provides security for human beings, it is also provides security for things that they fear and don’t understand. Fear is the basis of the whole thing, fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat and fear of death. People want to live life knowing that after death, there is an afterlife. People strongly want ways to deal with death that don't imply eternal nothingness. It makes sense for religious people to dislike the theory of evolution because it's basically a reminder of their death while they aren't opposed to science when it can save their lives.

I ask you this question, would you be Muslim if you weren’t indoctrinated since childhood?

All this non-sense about religion being an opiate.

Many atheist suffer from dunning kruger. They have some IQ to think for themselves, but not enough IQ to see what is real.

I wasn't accusing you of being an atheist, just assumed because many here are. Sorry sxb.

Your initial post made me believe you subscribed to something along the lines of Karl Marxs famous quote "religion is the opium of the people".