Why does Gabaati/Sooryo even exist? This tradition needs to die!

Yaraye

VIP
I don’t know what sooryo is, but I’ve heard of gabaati and yarad. Yarad is a gift for the bride’s immediate family. Gabaati is a gift for all of male relatives of the girl’s family and all the attendees of a nikkah ceremony. How they pass it out during the nikkah ceremony is beyond me.

It’s a good tradition. Everyone must eat.
i had no idea that the woman's family had to pay shit?! :gucciwhat: my family ain't paying nothing! :sitdown:

Yaraye

VIP
Gabaati = money paid to the guests at the wedding. It’s not a lot like 20 to 50 dollars but that quickly adds up when there are hundreds of guests.

Sooryo = money and gifts paid to the relatives, something like that.
:cosbyhmm:
who pays? groom? :leon:

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
I think its good getting Money in a wedding as a kid was really nice, If I remember I think its paid by the families or something idk

A Mean Guy

Minister of Ajanabi Affairs
who pays? groom? :leon:
It's the groom that pays for the wedding and all the costs associated with it. e.g., the Sooryo.
The groom or his family pays everyone 10-30 dollars. (I don't think you can go lower than that because the odeys will get offended if u hand them $1 or $2).

You have the mentality of a western me-me liberal. Sooryo and gabati are good because their clan is being deprived of the strength of a daughter and the livestock that she owns.

I think Gabaati is stupid. Imagine if all the guests paid the bride/groom £20 instead. For 300 guest that would be £6000. It would help with the wedding costs. As a guest too its not too much money. Even if you go to 10 weddings a year you will pay about £200 a year. A lot of cultures they have this tradition, Arab, Jewish, Italian, Greek, Chinese etc etc.

Laakin, the stupid Somali culture the already struggling bride/groom have to fork out and extra £2000 so they can give some of their guest £10 .

For the guest £10 is nothing....just one cup of coffee and a cookie. But for thr newlyweds they could really use that £2000 after spending 30k on a wedding.

I think Gabaati is stupid. Imagine if all the guests paid the bride/groom £20 instead. For 300 guest that would be £6000. It would help with the wedding costs. As a guest too its not too much money. Even if you go to 10 weddings a year you will pay about £200 a year. A lot of cultures they have this tradition, Arab, Jewish, Italian, Greek, Chinese etc etc.

Laakin, the stupid Somali culture the already struggling bride/groom have to fork out and extra £2000 so they can give some of their guest £10 .

For the guest £10 is nothing....just one cup of coffee and a cookie. But for thr newlyweds they could really use that £2000 after spending 30k on a wedding.
No culture is perfect. Why would you call Somali culture stupid when many other cultures have bizzarre rituals?in some Asian cultures the girls
pay most of costs.

Those traditions were formed Thousands of years amongst warring nomads. It can be reformed, calling it stupid is a bit extreme IMO.

also, Somali families/sub clans do chip in and help the bride with the costs of the weddings. I know guys who were broke and the family/sub clan pretty paid most of the costs.

In any case, Such cultures will die out in two generations. You guys will have your way when diaspora Somalis start singing Yoruba trap at Mehrs.

No culture is perfect. Why would you call Somali culture stupid when many other cultures have bizzarre rituals?in some Asian cultures the girls
pay most of costs.

Those traditions were formed Thousands of years amongst warring nomads. It can be reformed, calling it stupid is a bit extreme IMO.

also, Somali families/sub clans do chip in and help the bride with the costs of the weddings. I know guys who were broke and the family/sub clan pretty paid most of the costs.

In any case, Such cultures will die out in two generations. You guys will have your way when diaspora Somalis start singing Yoruba trap at Mehrs.

There are a lot of things I love about Somali culture. I think our culture is better than the Asian/Arab culture.

Laakin, this is one the things I do think is stupid and should be changed.

There are a lot of things I love about Somali culture. I think our culture is better than the Asian/Arab culture.

Laakin, this is one the things I do think is stupid and should be changed.
No, I want to be one the guys in charge of handling and distributing the funds one day👀