Why does Gabaati/Sooryo even exist? This tradition needs to die!

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Why do I have to pay people to show up to my wedding?
:draketf:
My future husband will not be paying any Sooryo! If he has extra cash then he can add it to my mehr!
:heh::trumpsmirk:
It’s actually robbery. Also the girl’s money is the money that isn’t upfront like seriously? Everybody gets their money before the girl, if the girl ever even gets her mehr at all

:ummhmm:
I don’t care if people think its ceeb, I went to a big wedding last week and the groom spent an extra 10k on gabaati.
:mjlol:

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Also in what world does the girl and her family pay to furnish the newlywed house?
:heh: :ummhmm:
He better put that gabaati money to good use because my dad ain’t paying a shilling.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
Tf is sooryo and gabaati anyway? sounds like shit!:williamswtf:
Gabaati = money paid to the guests at the wedding. It’s not a lot like 20 to 50 dollars but that quickly adds up when there are hundreds of guests.

Sooryo = money and gifts paid to the relatives, something like that.
:cosbyhmm:

Gabaati = money paid to the guests at the wedding. It’s not a lot like 20 to 50 dollars but that quickly adds up when there are hundreds of guests.

Sooryo = money and gifts paid to the relatives, something like that.
:cosbyhmm:
I haven’t heard of sooryo yet but I did take gabaati. It seems aabo finessed me and took my sooryo bread.

I don’t know what sooryo is, but I’ve heard of gabaati and yarad. Yarad is a gift for the bride’s immediate family. Gabaati is a gift for all of male relatives of the girl’s family and all the attendees of a nikkah ceremony. How they pass it out during the nikkah ceremony is beyond me.

It’s a good tradition. Everyone must eat.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
I don’t know what sooryo is, but I’ve heard of gabaati and yarad. Yarad is a gift for the bride’s immediate family. Gabaati is a gift for all of male relatives of the girl’s family and all the attendees of a nikkah ceremony. How they pass it out during the nikkah ceremony is beyond me.

It’s a good tradition. Everyone must eat.
Disgusting tradition. So many things in our culture is fucked up. Instead of them helping the newlyweds out, the newlyweds have to struggle.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You can’t do this to me! It’s not fair! slow things down at least. I’m ur fellow cagdheer too is there no qabil loyalty?!
Sad Matthew Mcconaughey GIF by Legendary Entertainment

Disgusting tradition. So many things in our culture is fucked up. Instead of them helping the newlyweds out, the newlyweds have to struggle.
I know something called 7aad bax in our culture. What it basically is is that the bride doesn’t have to do anything for the first 7 days after the wedding night. The husband helps with the dishes and general housekeeping while hooyos bring sweets and gifts to the bride.

Qeelbax

East Africa UNUKA LEH
VIP
I know something called 7aad bax in our culture. What it basically is is that the bride doesn’t have to do anything for the first 7 days after the wedding night. The husband helps with the dishes and general housekeeping while hooyos bring sweets and gifts to the bride.
7 days is nothing
I’m not tryna see people right after my wedding either
:trumpsmirk:

Nin123

The most hated man in here
VIP
Why do I have to pay people to show up to my wedding?
:draketf:
My future husband will not be paying any Sooryo! If he has extra cash then he can add it to my mehr!
:heh::trumpsmirk:
It’s actually robbery. Also the girl’s money is the money that isn’t upfront like seriously? Everybody gets their money before the girl, if the girl ever even gets her mehr at all

:ummhmm:
I don’t care if people think its ceeb, I went to a big wedding last week and the groom spent an extra 10k on gabaati.
Mashallah ms qeelbax getting married in your early 20s so you don’t end up childless and miserable.
@Yaraye you need to learn from her
IMG_1217.png

Sooryo in the UK amongst Waqooyi tribes is about a £1000. Male family members normally help contribute. Half of the money is given back to the clan of the bride. You normally get about £20 or 10 pound as guest.

There is nothing disgusting about it. The symbolism of Maintaining tribal ties in the diaspora; building news ones;and,carrying a 3 thousands year tradition, is an important gesture.

The 7 days is to drink as much milk as possible and Impregnate her. It isn’t a feminist gesture 😂