Why do the Somali Guys who marry non-Somali women try to Somalize them?

They make them wear Somali clothes, have them rep Somali songs, and learn the Somali language. If someone is going through all of that treacherous road to make a non-Somali be a Somali, what stops them from choosing someone who is already a Somali?

Itโ€™s natural like the way animals mark their territory. Somalida say dumarka have no qabil/culture and become the culture/tribe of the man theyโ€™re married to

What else are they supposed to do? Adopt their wife's culture or live some bizarre no culture existence?

I understand what you're saying, but wouldn't the matter of affirming culture and identity make more sense in relation to the children?

The women can retain their cultures, but their children can be Somali.

Thereโ€™s also a Somali-Singaporean Chinese couple from Australia thatโ€™s like that. This Chinese man speaks Somali better than a lot of hooyo mataalo

It's weird. I would teach my mixed Somali sons, the Somali language. But I wouldn't invest any time with my foreign wife or daughter in teaching them the Somali language or culture.

I understand what you're saying, but wouldn't the matter of affirming culture and identity make more sense in relation to the children?

The women can retain their cultures, but their children can be Somali.

Usually women are the primary caretakers and spend most time with children, so a child with a mother who doesn't speak the language or know the culture, will raise children with no culture or usually; HER culture.

The thread is about Somali guys, not about women. By and large, the Somali women who marry non-Somalis take the culture of their husbands.
Nah not really. In most interracial marriages one culture tends to take precedence over the other. Most times itโ€™s the wifes but sometimes itโ€™s the husbands. I know plenty of half Somali kids with Somali fathers present that donโ€™t know shit about their Somali culture

Case in point this half Somali half Filipino girl who doesnโ€™t really know Somali culture and is even a Christian

Last edited:
Nah not really. In most interracial marriages one culture tends to take precedence over the other. Sometimes itโ€™s the wifes and sometimes itโ€™s the husbands. I know plenty of half Somali kids with Somali fathers present that donโ€™t know shit about their Somali culture

Case in point this half Somali half Filipino girl who doesnโ€™t really know Somali culture and is even a Christian

We're talking about the majority sis. In my town, there is a girl whose mother is a Somali and father is an African American. She used to work in a Starbucks shop that Somalis frequent. She hardly speaks anything Somali. She was a typical AA girl.

But there is a Somali guy who came to the US in the 1980s in my town. He married an AA woman who is a medical doctor. He was living in Michigan but moved to Columbus, Ohio. They have a boy together. The teenage boy speaks Somali fluently.

Usually women are the primary caretakers and spend most time with children, so a child with a mother who doesn't speak the language or know the culture, will raise children with no culture or usually; HER culture.

Hmm, I suppose it depends on how deep you think these men are immersing these women in Somali culture; I very much doubt that most of these women are fluent in the language or culture beyond the superficial displays and odes to Somali culture.

I know a Sudanese man that married a Czech woman and his wife constantly speaks Czech to their son, so I essentially agree with you about the seminal role that mothers play.

We're talking about the majority sis. In my town, there is a girl whose mother is a Somali and father is an African American. She used to work in a Starbucks shop that Somalis frequent. She hardly speaks anything Somalis. She was a typical AA girl.

But there is a Somali guy who came to the US in the 1980s in my town. He married AA woman who is a medical doctor. He was living in Michigan but moved to Columbus, Ohio. They have a boy together. The teenage boy speaks Somali fluently.
Thatโ€™s not really the majority. From what Iโ€™ve seen I would say every half Somali with a Somali father did not speak Somali and were more rooted in their motherโ€™s culture. While the half Somali with Somali mothers were raised in the culture and community way more. And spoke Somali.

It makes sense when you consider that mothers spend more time with their children compared to fathers so her culture and values influence the children more. Itโ€™s called โ€œmother tongueโ€ for a reason

I always got the impression that those non-Somali wives and husbands had some level of interest in Somali culture, that had nothing to do with their Somali partner pushing Somali dhaqan on them. Somali culture, food, dress etc. seems to have a broad appeal especially with modern Westerners who don't really practice a distinct culture that differs much from the globally dominant (pop)culture.

Latest posts