Why do so many younger somalis meet their spouse through the internet?

It seems like every younger diaspora Somali I know who is married or seeing someone has met them through either instagram/twitter or a dating app. Like that’s fine but why couldn’t any of them meet each other through more normal channels like at a gathering/party, through mutual friends, school, shit even work lol idk

It’s kind of sad that as a collective we have to rely on the internet to meet suitable marriage partners. Instead of encountering them in our regular lives. Other groups don’t seem to struggle with this even other minorities. What’s going on?

Personally I would rather have a cute story of how my man and I met to tell our future kids. Imagine when they ask and you tell them “he slid in my DM’s on instagram” lmao it’s just so anticlimactic

This phenomena is definitely not just limited to somalis it's everyone. Think I read somewhere a few years ago by Pew research that ~35% of relationships started online.

I would expect it to be even higher among Somalis as we lack mixed functions or at least they are frowned upon ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This phenomena is definitely not just limited to somalis it's everyone. Think I read somewhere a few years ago by Pew research that ~35% of relationships started online.

I would expect it to be even higher among Somalis as we lack mixed functions or at least they are frowned upon ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Whatsapp is big in Africa too

Trending