Why did somalis never make cheese

I always wondered why

A Young lady opens the first cheese factory in Mogadishu .
The camel milk industry is worth multi-billion dollars and is expected to be the next superfood. The industry is worth more than the entire economy of Somalia.

The camel milk industry would provide various dairy products such as milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream, whip cream, milk powder and etc. You can make it into soap and cosmetic products using camel milk since it's rich and beneficial to the skin. These products can also be exported to other countries. The benefits are it would provide plenty of jobs, improve the country's infrastructure and bring significant revenue to the country's economy.

Link: https://qz.com/africa/1636775/camel-milk-will-be-your-next-superfood-thanks-to-east-africa/

The camel skin is another untapped multi-billion dollar industry. You can make handbags, wallets, belts, shoes, couches, gloves, phone covers, and etc.

It's sad Somalis are not creative with their resources and have this herd mentality of copying each other. Every day it's a new fancy hotel or restaurant.

If that's the case then the Arab world or more specifically gulf countries would be doing that, the only money they make from camels is racing, they produce camel milk but it certainly ain't alot of money and not much exportation of it either. The western world and Asian developed countries are gearing towards plant based diet, I doubt there would much export for camel products outside of east Africa.

I know ayeeyo is trolling but on a more serious note a lot of current day Somalis might be "lazy" but it's amazing if someone really thinks this of the old Geeljires. These chaps and chapettes' lives were not easy and their skill-sets not small in number at all.

They had to have a good understanding of topography for selecting good lands for camping, to remember various plants for medicinal and edibility purposes, to have a keen knowledge of constellations for travel, to know basic crafts for making several of their tools like utensils and setting up tents then knowing the ins and outs of how to handle, milk, handle the milk of or butcher everything from large swathes of camels to cattle to goats to sheep to donkeys and horses (no eating of anything with the last two though), gathering the materials for weaving baskets and weaving them, crafting bells for their livestock, and the setting up of their pretty complicated dome tents especially when compared to the more simple poled tents of the Middle East and knowing the ins and outs of Xeer and Sharia as well as the grazing lands of their particular tribe or how to trade in a town or dig a well and how to fight in case of a raid or to conduct one themselves then knowing how to ride a horse or use a spear, a sword, a dagger or club or even the bow and arrow in some cases.

There's a lot more and a lot of this is obviously divided between the sexes rather than known to any given single man or woman but yeah, I find it a little absurd that people think niggas who mastered the art of surviving in arid lands were "lazy".

These were hardy folk.

This is great but very basic overall, why haven't they used more of their natural raw materials for constructing proper homes like the morrocons, Indians, indhoyaars with their own architectural style and interiors. Let's face it we're not great at making stuff or coming up with new ideas it's not only us most Africans just aren't creative like that.

I've always found it odd and humorous that a pastoralist people had cheese introduced to them from the outside. But I don't think there's any particular reason like them not liking it. Just probably never fiddled with the milk to that extent. Butter, ghee and various sorts of yogurt were enough to sate their interest.
Our president is called Cheese yet the country doesn't produce it. What a joke :farmajoyaab:

I remember my flight from Kenya to Somalia, I was given a big block of mozzarella cheese by a relative to take on the flight and delivered it to this woman in Xamar.

Mukhy

Somalilander | Habr Jeclo | Muslim | Barça Fan
The camel milk industry is worth multi-billion dollars and is expected to be the next superfood. The industry is worth more than the entire economy of Somalia.

The camel milk industry would provide various dairy products such as milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, ice cream, whip cream, milk powder and etc. You can make it into soap and cosmetic products using camel milk since it's rich and beneficial to the skin. These products can also be exported to other countries. The benefits are it would provide plenty of jobs, improve the country's infrastructure and bring significant revenue to the country's economy.

Link: https://qz.com/africa/1636775/camel-milk-will-be-your-next-superfood-thanks-to-east-africa/

The camel skin is another untapped multi-billion dollar industry. You can make handbags, wallets, belts, shoes, couches, gloves, phone covers, and etc.

It's sad Somalis are not creative with their resources and have this herd mentality of copying each other. Every day it's a new fancy hotel or restaurant.
Are you Isaaq?

Our president is called Cheese yet the country doesn't produce it. What a joke :farmajoyaab:

I remember my flight from Kenya to Somalia, I was given a big block of mozzarella cheese by a relative to take on the flight and delivered it to this woman in Xamar.

Must be hard for pizza restaurants and others requiring cheese as an ingredient for their menu. I hope that lady in the video delivers her cheese all over the country it's much needed.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
This is great but very basic overall, why haven't they used more of their natural raw materials for constructing proper homes like the morrocons, Indians, indhoyaars with their own architectural style and interiors. Let's face it we're not great at making stuff or coming up with new ideas it's not only us most Africans just aren't creative like that.

What are you talking about? Nomadic Moroccans or nomads literally anywhere were not living any more "advanced" lives than Geeljires. Hell, our tents are more complicated and architecturally impressive than theirs, to be fully honest. I don't know if you know this but most of Somaliweyn is arid and is not conducive to a settled, agricultural or urban lifestyle so please explain why nomads would take the time to build large stone towns or structures? So they can die of dehydration while wasting time doing this in a desert?

This shit sounds like the same ridiculous crap I hear when MENAs like Iranians hate on Khaleejis for being "nomadic barbarians" like they can't see how desolate and barren most of the Peninsula is and that the Bedouin of life is usually the only viable way to live in such a region and that when settlements do pop up they're usually just somewhat half-decent sized coastal towns or towns centered on oases that never compare to those of Egypt or Mesopotomia not because Khaleejis are somehow less intelligent or inventive but because that's seriously the best anyone can do in these places without modern technology and agricultural techniques.

The story is much the same in historical Somalia. In fact, Somalis' overall similarity to Khaleejis is pretty remarkable. The same dynamic is historically found with a mostly pastoral nomadic population wondering the countryside, a smaller agropastoral and settled farmer population in the few arable regions available and a small trader, sailor / settled urbanite community usually along the coast line settled on towns that are never quite as big as those in places like Egypt because they simply lack the agricultural base to match something like that but even so the largest towns like Saylac, Berbera, Xamar and whatnot were not anything to scoff at when they were at their height. Somalis very easily adopted the architectural influences of outsiders and seemingly added their own touch to these towns and settled and maintained them throughout their histories. Basically, humans aren't very different at all when given the same conditions.

By your genius logic Mongols must be inferior to Somalis and Khaleejis given their stark lack of historical urbanism once you ignore their short stint as an imperial power. Even their historical capital Karakorum was mostly a collection of Gers. But of course this has nothing to do with Mongols not being "inventive" or "smart" or incapable of urbanism and everything to do with the fact that their part of the steppe is an arid hellhole with not even a coastline to speak of. Most Mongols have historically lived the only lifestyle that really made sense for where they are.

As for Madows, I would not call them "un-inventive" or "un-creative" or whatever by a long stretch. Those niggas discovered agriculture, animal domestication, metallurgy and prot-writing all by themselves in West-Africa which is more than can be said for Northern Europeans who had to have nearly all of that exported to them from the Middle-East by way of proxy through Southern Europe. The only thing I'm facing here is an annoying and quite pathetic self-hater. You will never amount to anything in life with such a pathetic mindset, man. Thinking you are inherently inferior to other people or some shit. Disgusting.

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
Because dairy products like these are uncommon within Soomaalida , if we were to discuss this realistically, yes half of the country were under Italian protectorate for half a century and several aspects were introduced it had an impact on the people to this day , wether it's the influences of Italian loanwords in our current vocabularies or the cuisine and etc apparently there were smaller numbers of people capable of fermenting diary products like cheese but as I've mentioned related topics and similar subjects to this on hundred threads , Somalis aren't fond of tiresome work nor the complexity of tasks , remember there are some work they don't consider noble worthy hence it isn't suprising why cheese making can be
unfamiliar with our society especially when 70% of the inhabitants are nomadic pastoralists still living in rudimentary lifestyles.
I'm not saying diary products is a milestone for Somalis , I beg to differ ,since they're already capable of making subag , sour milk , camel ghee for generations , I believe they're inexperienced with the modern world especially how things are quickly evolving in this century.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
If that's the case then the Arab world or more specifically gulf countries would be doing that, the only money they make from camels is racing, they produce camel milk but it certainly ain't alot of money and not much exportation of it either. The western world and Asian developed countries are gearing towards plant based diet, I doubt there would much export for camel products outside of east Africa.

Did you read the link? It said East Africa will turn the camel milk industry into the next superfood since they have most of the camels and the potential is worth multi-billion dollars. The camels in the middle east are not comparable.

The experts call camel milk the golden liquid for a reason. It is more nutritional than cow's milk. It tastes better on tea and coffee. If Somalis manage to make a successful industry for camel dairy they can export it across east Africa and the middle east and yes, it'll be very profitable because the population is expanding so all kinds of options will be applied in the future when it comes to feeding growing populations.

The cosmetics for camel milk have shown tremendous benefits. The camel hide is superior to cattle hide. You can make medicinal purposes using camel milk. All this could change the country for good so I suggest you do your own research.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Nomadic Moroccans or nomads literally anywhere were not living any more "advanced" lives than Geeljires. Hell, our tents are more complicated and architecturally impressive than theirs, to be fully honest. I don't know if you know this but most of Somaliweyn is arid and is not conducive to a settled, agricultural or urban lifestyle so please explain why nomads would take the time to build large stone towns or structures? So they can die of dehydration while wasting time doing this in a desert?

This shit sounds like the same ridiculous crap I hear when MENAs like Iranians hate on Khaleejis for being "nomadic barbarians" like they can't see how desolate and barren most of the Peninsula is and that the Bedouin of life is usually the only viable way to live in such a region and that when settlements do pop up they're usually just somewhat half-decent sized coastal towns or towns centered on oases that never compare to those of Egypt or Mesopotomia not because Khaleejis are somehow less intelligent or inventive but because that's seriously the best anyone can do in these places without modern technology and agricultural techniques.

The story is much the same in historical Somalia. In fact, Somalis' overall similarity to Khaleejis is pretty remarkable. The same dynamic is historically found with a mostly pastoral nomadic population wondering the countryside, a smaller agropastoral and settled farmer population in the few arable regions available and a small trader, sailor / settled urbanite community usually along the coast line settled on towns that are never quite as big as those in places like Egypt because they simply lack the agricultural base to match something like that but even so the largest towns like Saylac, Berbera, Xamar and whatnot were not anything to scoff at when they were at their height. Somalis very easily adopted the architectural influences of outsiders and seemingly added their own touch to these towns and settled and maintained them throughout their histories. Basically, humans aren't very different at all when given the same conditions.

By your genius logic Mongols must be inferior to Somalis and Khaleejis given their stark lack of historical urbanism once you ignore their short stint as an imperial power. Even their historical capital Karakorum was mostly a collection of Gers. But of course this has nothing to do with Mongols not being "inventive" or "smart" or incapable of urbanism and everything to do with the fact that their part of the steppe is an arid hellhole with not even a coastline to speak of. Most Mongols have historically lived the only lifestyle that really made sense for where they are.

As for Madows, I would not call them "un-inventive" or "un-creative" or whatever by a long stretch. Those niggas discovered agriculture, animal domestication, metallurgy and prot-writing all by themselves in West-Africa which is more than can be said for Northern Europeans who had to have nearly all of that exported to them from the Middle-East by way of proxy through Southern Europe. The only thing I'm facing here is an annoying and quite pathetic self-hater. You will never amount to anything in life with such a pathetic mindset, man. Thinking you are inherently inferior to other people or some shit. Disgusting.

You can tell when your debating with a low IQ individual, they get easily rattled and always resort to insults and vulgar remarks, not intelligent enough to keep to the discussion at hand.

Every culture throughout history had their own way of living, building, inventing, food etc. They started of one way and developed and evolved over time by picking things up from others, especially those they came in close contact with, ie via trade etc

My point somalis changed nothing throughout the centuries, they kept the same way of life and had no intention of evolving. Your ashamed of admitting this which makes you inferior for being in denial about real truths, many communities started of as nomadic then became settled once they learnt a more viable way of life.

If the only logical argument you can come up with is the land was too arid to do anything else, this simply isn't the case.

There are vast mountainous areas which can easily provide materials for stone buildings, forests ( jowhar, baydhabo, shabeele house, dallo forest mountains) and the longest coastline in africa, it's true in saying they were abundant in resources but were too focused on the only way they knew how, therefore not creative or imaginative in majority of cases, only few fishing and farming communities many of which aren't ethnic somalis.

they could've settled as fishermen communities like Indians, or bengalis developing towns and cities, and settling in the coast instead of chasing rain all over the country season by season.

You said,

'most of the Peninsula is and that the Bedouin of life is usually the only viable way to live in such a region,

Not true gulf arabs mainly traded in pearl diving, catching Pearl's at the bottom of sea and trading it, they weren't just nomads.

As for the morrocons yes they were nomadic communities to begin with, they then went on to design elements of Moroccan architecture today which include elaborate geometric patterns, ornamental Islamic calligraphy of Quranic verses, and colorful zellij (a ceramic-tile mosaic). Open courtyards with lavish gardens can also be found at the center of most buildings: these were constructed as places of privacy and relaxation.

Admitting and shining light on things we could've changed for the better is an important process of learning, we're still the same copycat society which shun anything different or strange as dhaqan gaalo and ignoring fine details, let's think outside the box that's where real success lies.

Because dairy products like these are uncommon within Soomaalida , if we were to discuss this realistically, yes half of the country were under Italian protectorate for half a century and several aspects were introduced it had an impact on the people to this day , wether it's the influences of Italian loanwords in our current vocabularies or the cuisine and etc apparently there were smaller numbers of people capable of fermenting diary products like cheese but as I've mentioned related topics and similar subjects to this on hundred threads , Somalis aren't fond of tiresome work nor the complexity of tasks , remember there are some work they don't consider noble worthy hence it isn't suprising why cheese making can be
unfamiliar with our society especially when 70% of the inhabitants are nomadic pastoralists still living in rudimentary lifestyles.
I'm not saying diary products is a milestone for Somalis , I beg to differ ,since they're already capable of making subag , sour milk , camel ghee for generations , I believe they're inexperienced with the modern world especially how things are quickly evolving in this century.

'Somalis aren't fond of tiresome work nor the complexity of tasks , remember there are some work they don't consider noble'

That's exactly my point. Such kibiir is foolishness, if they didn't have this mentality God knows where we would be today.