Why are these men wearing a t-shirt and macawis in a wedding?

Was watching this wedding video and that was the first thing I noticed.

We need better formal wear for men. Cause tshirt and macawis as a groomsman is crazy šŸ˜­

Kisame

Plotting world domination
Formal wear is something most Somali men really don't give AF about.

We got three clothing options for weddings: dress like this, dress like Saudis, or wear suits.

Our ancestors gave no fucks about looking good and since our country has been under a civil war for 30+ years we haven't had that many somali men interested in breaking barriers in Somali fashion.

Most of the millennial diasporan men were pushed away from pursuing careers they were passionate in that weren't stem related.

All the gen z guys into fashion mainly focus on western streetwear.

Khanderson

Coping through the 1st world
Somali men werenā€™t taught about their history.
Due to the civil war. We lost our cultural wears and some parts of our traditions.

To be honest I donā€™t know what was culturally normal for Somali man to wear before the civil war. We just wore ā€œwhateverā€ I guess at times goes on. That was our mentality.
The video you see what these men are wearing are clueless about history and the normality of somali men wore at pre civil war.

When we look at nomadic Somalis and see what they wore, they wore this white robe thing. Which I find it to be fantastic and traditional.
My theory is: in the 19th century these men wore these white robe either to emulate the people that makes pilgrimage to Hajj (the Meccans also wore white robes). They look really perfect and looks traditional.

1715677353536.png

1715677379385.png

1715677404571.png

1715677559427.png

1715678193519.png

Sure it looked outdated if Somali men wear it nowadays. But Iā€™d what them to wear this in traditional festivals and cultural celebrations.

This is what our nomadic ancestors wore.

Last edited:
Was watching this wedding video and that was the first thing I noticed.

We need better formal wear for men. Cause tshirt and macawis as a groomsman is crazy šŸ˜­
Isnā€™t this what you guys wanted? At least now Somali men are starting to ditch Khaleej culture and embracing Somali Dhaqan

Somali men werenā€™t taught about their history.
Due to the civil war. We lost our cultural wears and some parts of our traditions.

To be honest I donā€™t know what was culturally normal for Somali man to wear before the civil war. We just wore ā€œwhateverā€ I guess at times goes on. That was our mentality.
The video you see what these men are wearing are clueless about history and the normality of somali men wore at pre civil war.

When we look at nomadic Somalis and see what they wore, they wore this white robe thing. Which I find it to be fantastic and traditional.
My theory is: in the 19th century these men wore these white robe either to emulate the people that makes pilgrimage to Hajj (the Meccans also wore white robes). They look really perfect and looks traditional.

View attachment 328655

View attachment 328656

View attachment 328657

View attachment 328658

View attachment 328659

Sure it looked outdated if Somali men wear it nowadays. But Iā€™d what them to wear this in traditional festivals and cultural celebrations.

This is what our nomadic ancestors wore.
Wow these men look so different from your average Somali itā€™s crazy .

Khanderson

Wow these men look so different from your average Somali itā€™s crazy .

They lived a rural lifestyle. Theyā€™d eat meat, milk and had to remain active throughout their life. Compare to now Somalis arenā€™t as active because of modernism. Somalia now are urbanised and modern.

A group of Mad@w have said: Vintage nomadic Somalis pictures were the real Somalis and the current ones are mixed and invader to Somalia.

:mjlol::jcoleno:
Lol what business does it serve them tell them to chimp out elsewhere. And the reason we look different is a lot of us are not as exposed to the sun and diet .

Khanderson

Lol what business does it serve them tell them to chimp out elsewhere. And the reason we look different is a lot of us are not as exposed to the sun and diet .

Theyā€™re ā€œkindaā€ right. We do look quite different from them. Not being exposed to the sun, eating carbs (soft foods) and laying in bed without any activity can screw a generation. Itā€™s not rocket science to see why we look different from them. We just need to state the obvious.

Our modern culture needs a reform in fact universally we all need a reform as a society. Starting from ourselves.

vanilla

i think with my heart
:susp:whoever came up with the idea clearly weren't happy for the girl to marry him.

Lol the bridesmaids should have worn baatis to match walahi.

Trending

Latest posts