Why are somalis so urbanised?

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
Somalis are a single ethnic group but somehow we have some of the biggest most populated cities/towns in the horn

Rough list of the largest cities in the horn:

1)Addis Ababa- all Ethiopians
2)Mogadishu- exclusively somali
3)Hargeiso- exclusively somali
4)Adama/nazret- shared between oromo and amhara (two ethnic groups similar in size to us)
5)Asmera- all Eritreans
6)dir dhabe- shared between somali and oromo
7)Djibouti- exclusively somali

How did we manage to build urban areas much denser and more populated than neighbouring ethnic groups that are much larger than us, in this list 3 of the 7 biggest cities in the horn are exclusively somali and oneis over 50%, the rest are shared between other ethnic groups that are all similar in size to us

exposedmeat

i do it anyway i like
Beside qabilist, we are pretty intelligible people ngl
failed state and still better than other African countries
1620296322873.png

Last edited:

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
You ask a good question. I think it is because Somalis are mostly pastoral rather than agricultural. A pastoralist can lose his herd and have nothing at all to keep him in the countryside. All of his assets are gone and he must go to a place where he is sure he will receive food aid or find work. An agriculturalist can lose a harvest or two but because he owns the land, he is not willing to abandon his last asset. It is easier for the pastoralist to urbanize because his assests can go to zero, the agriculturalist’s assets never fall to zero. The land is always worth something.

Pull factors into the city are equally strong for both pastoralist and farmer, but the push factors out of the countryside are a lot stronger for the pastoralist.

You either a kid or hooyo mataalo kids, you don't know what qabilist are and of course, Oromos have a bigger population us wtf :what1:

Nigga wtf are you on about? I am asking where that picture is, when did I mention qabiilist?

"of course, Oromos have a bigger population us wtf"

No shit, tell that to OP who said we're around the same size even though they're over 50 mil in population.

You have shit reading comprehension sxb.

giphy.gif

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
Somalis are a single ethnic group but somehow we have some of the biggest most populated cities/towns in the horn

4)Adama/nazret- shared between oromo and amhara (two ethnic groups similar in size to us)
5)Asmera- all Eritreans

How did we manage to build urban areas much denser and more populated than neighbouring ethnic groups that are much larger than us, in this list 3 of the 7 biggest cities in the horn are exclusively somali and oneis over 50%, the rest are shared between other ethnic groups that are all similar in size to us

5)Asmera- all Eritreans

? Most Somalis are not city dwellers lol, we’re far from being a sedentary people. Cities like Mogadishu, Hargeisa and especially Djibouti have known a huge spike in the population in the last century. In the early 1900s, it barely had more than 5k inhabitants. And Djibouti City is far from being exclusively Somali. I don’t think it should be used as an example when it’s very existence is owed to French colonialism.
Would’ve been way more pertinent to talk about historical cities like Zeila for exemple.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
You either a kid or hooyo mataalo kids, you don't know what qabilist are and of course, Oromos have a bigger population us wtf :what1:

Gacanka is not wrong. If you count together the latest stats on Somalia/Somaliland, Kilinka Shanaad, Kenya and Jabuuti you get- :

Somalia: 15,893,219
Ethiopia: 15,654,000
Kenya: 2,780,502
Jabuuti: 645,263 (based on ~70% of Jabuuti population)

-a total of about 35 million people (~34,972,984). Compared to Oromos' 35-37 million by the latest stats I've seen.

exposedmeat

i do it anyway i like
Gacanka is not wrong. If you count together the latest stats on Somalia/Somaliland, Kilinka Shanaad, Kenya and Jabuuti you get- :

-a total of about 35 million people (~34,972,984). Compared to Oromos' 35-37 million by the latest stats I've seen.
nahh those niggas are 40 mil

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
nahh those niggas are 40 mil

2018-2020 census data says they're at 35,175,000 in Ethiopia, 470,700 in Kenya and 87,000 in Somalia. So about 35 million (~35,732,700) but even if we assume they're really at 40 million... 35 vs 40 is not a huge difference once you're already at such high population sizes. So GC is correct that they're only somewhat bigger than us.

Gacanka Cadmeed

انا عربي, سْنْمْ هَنولاتو‌‌‌‌, Free Azawad, 🇾🇪
Nigga wtf are you on about? I am asking where that picture is, when did I mention qabiilist?

"of course, Oromos have a bigger population us wtf"

No shit, tell that to OP who said we're around the same size even though they're over 50 mil in population.

You have shit reading comprehension sxb.

giphy.gif
They are 37 million not 50 million

convincation

VIP

Your telling me DDSI and Somalia have similar populations:gucciwhat:

convincation

VIP
Oromos are easily the largest ethnic group in the horn. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were 50 million tbh

There are as many Somalis in Ethiopia as there are in Somalia? :gucciwhat:

Som

VIP

Source? I'm shocked, didn't know the somali population in ethiopia is equal to the one in Somalia

Trending

Latest posts