Why are Somali horses so short

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Ok but how do you explain somali horses being large 100 years ago like this elder riding a horse

View attachment 193844
those aren’t very tall horses, @Boqorada just used a pic showing a tall dude on a smaller horse so your perception is off. if you look at the original pic the horse on the right is taller (which I’m assuming is average height) and despite that the guy riding the smaller horse is still same head level as the other dude.

So not only is that pic of a smaller Somali horse, it’s also being ridden by a dude with longer legs so it looks even more off.

Even if those horses were large, that’s still not enough proof to say they’re arabian horses. That means that a 100 years ago is when Somalia got horses from the gulf, which makes no sense since Somalis have had horses since before that, and if they did get arabian horses 300 years ago then why would it take 200 years for the horses to suddenly start getting shorter?

It’s just a large leap to jump to.

Boqorada

F*ck Your Feelings
They often are tick infested with the Kudkudaha tick which reaches a size of 1/2 inch in diameter.
We really need veterinarians in somalia, I would study to become one but I'm too squeamish. Animals here are in such terrible health. Our cats constantly get infections and there's nowhere to take them.

I know one of my uncles has a livestock veterinary degree that he obtained in the late 80s but I dont think somalis do that anymore or I've just yet to see anybody studying it or a vet clinic anywhere. If its not a camel most of the people here dont care.

Last edited:
those aren’t very tall horses, @Boqorada just used a pic showing a tall dude on a smaller horse so your perception is off. if you look at the original pic the horse on the right is taller (which I’m assuming is average height) and despite that the guy riding the smaller horse is still same head level as the other dude.

So not only is that pic of a smaller Somali horse, it’s also being ridden by a dude with longer legs so it looks even more off.

Even if those horses were large, that’s still not enough proof to say they’re arabian horses. That means that a 100 years ago is when Somalia got horses from the gulf, which makes no sense since Somalis have had horses since before that, and if they did get arabian horses 300 years ago then why would it take 200 years for the horses to suddenly start getting shorter?

Ok thanks for the info

Boqorada

F*ck Your Feelings

It might also have to do with somalis riding bare back with no straddle so it just looks off with their legs hanging

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
We really need veterinarians in somalia, I would study to become one but I'm too squeamish. Animals here are in such terrible health. Our cats constantly get infections and there's nowhere to take them.

I know one of my uncles has a livestock veterinary degree that he obtained in the late 80s but I dont think somalis do that anymore or I've just yet to see anybody studying it or a vet shop anywhere. If its not a camel most of the people here dont care.
Somalia needs hundreds of different skilled workers but they can’t get any right now. No professional would work in Somalia right now and you can’t really blame them.

Their work is valued very high from all the years they spent studying, Somalia can’t afford that and they’re better off working in the west where they can be provided enough money for their valuable work.

most doctors working in Somalia are either volunteers or paid by foreign organizations. That’s enough to tell you how bad it is, hopefully in the future Somalia becomes more wealthy and wealthy enough to attract skilled workers while producing their own as well.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
We need to breed large ones so that our horses become bigger and faster as Arabian horse
Taller horses are not faster. Thicker muscled or skinnier horses don't run faster — average height with average proportioned muscling results in the fastest horses. ... The researchers were determined to find out what made this horse so great. Their conclusion, he had an average build.

taller horses aren’t necessarily better fyi, but I agree. They should be bred to be a couple hands taller, I think they just look better imo. If we breed tall horses then it’ll be mostly for aesthetics.

World

VIP
Taller and bigger horses historically made for better heavy cavalry, like when you are leading a cavalry charge. However shorter horses like the mongols or somalis were better for light cavalry, to harass and exhaust the enemy then retreat, or to ambush as they have better endurance.

x z

±somali supremacist, anti-inceI&queen in the north
Somali Ponies are from Somalia in East Africa. They are genetically horses but are considered Ponies because they are pony sized (only 13-13 1/2 hh). The severe climate and poor food sources, in Somalia, have contributed to their smaller size. They are bred by most tribes excluding the Esa and Géri. The Dolbanhanta tribe is the breeder of Somali ponies.

They have heavy heads, short, thick necks, with inharmonious conformations. They are able to carry light weight very well and for long distances. They have extremely hard hooves; some say harder than the Arabian horses. They can gallop and perform better without shoes because of the terrain and the nature of their feet. They can go three days or longer without water and eat only grass. They require virtually no care. They are extremely hardy and perfectly adapted to their hostile environment. They often are tick infested with the Kudkudaha tick which reaches a size of 1/2 inch in diameter.

Somali Ponies are used for riding as well as packing. They are bred for use in intertribal fighting. The mares are most prized for this purpose.

Omg now i want a pony as mehr, maybe i need to branch out of my tribe ileen

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
Come on y'all our horses are more than fine.
They were used by the sahabas to carry messages and spread the deen.

It's Full Of These Horses In The Nugaal Time To Become Horse Breeder f*ck The Camel

giphy.gif

Trending