Who lived in kingdom of Kush?

How recent and what kind of Cushitic?
If we’re counting Beja presence, then really recently. They were in control of plenty of riverine towns as recently as the 10th century CE iirc.

Beyond that, to my knowledge, Lower Nubia could have spoken maybe a West or North Cushitic (perhaps even East, honestly) language up until around the 1000BCE, which though isn’t exactly yesterday, it is comparable in time with the switch in tongues from a Cushitic to Semitic language by our Habesha brothers in Ethiopia and Eritrea.

1672394201401.png

Most popuations we classify as "Nubians" up to the Meroetic period would be similar to Horn Africans imo.
*C: C-Group culture-bearers. *A: A-Group people. *B: B-Group culture is now a defunct term, it has been proven that they're just A-Group's dwindling state.

source: https://www.persee.fr/docAsPDF/bmsap_0037-8984_1981_num_8_3_3828.pdf
(an old school study but besides this there's only one cranial study that compared modern HOA people to historical Nubians, and that chart has been posted here by everyone and their mums over a thousand times. Yes, imma referencing that chart with "Naqada Bronze".)

1672392811199.png

^Probably a lot of these.
Desert nomads like them would be physically superior to those agricultural Egyptians and Nubians. It'd be quite dumb to not hire them as soldiers, lol.
1672393017576.png

^Probably a lot of these too. Wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Nubia (first cataract to Meroe) looked like these.

or like these below.
1672395305745.png

1672393264212.png

1672393338377.png

Some outliers might include:

Clearly northern admixed individuals like Mouhamed Mounir should be easily found int the region between the 1st-2nd cataracts.
It's also likely that straight-up Egyptians do exist in Nubian regions and both populations intermarried for a bit.
Tombos* (near Dongola)
1672393450395.png

Perhaps certain individuals would be like this one below.
I read a comment somewhere (probably here, lol) saying that nilotics served a certain social niche in the Nubian society but was probably not given the exact burial customs of Nubians (C-Group...etc), hence why the remains those anthors dug up appeared to be "Nubian", rather than *nilotes. Nontheless, Kerman remains did show a trend towards a more "Kenyan" profile overtime, and C-Group became more "southern" compared to their A-Group forefathers so there should be some nilotes as attested by Egyptian wall paintings and probably some Meroetic Nubian figures (in which the "Nubian" was smiting a myriad of foes. IIRC those victims include Egyptians, *Romans (or Meds) and likely some nilotics).
1672393790894.png

Also, you might get people who look like these:
1672394764266.png

As despite how startified a society is, people of difefrent ancestral stocks can intermix. Plus we don't even know which role niltos took on (we'd probably assume them to be prized mercenaries, boduguards or merchants that sell you exotic animals but we don't know. Maybe they were just regular citizens who were the minority.)

You say this yet I have yet to find conclusive evidence of this. Lower Nubia, as far as I'm aware, could have spoken a Cushitic language up until really surprisingly recently. I am of the opinion that, yes, Pharaonic Nubian (idk the name lol) - the language of Taharqa and Piye - was likely Nilo-Saharan, but that really doesn't say much given our knowledge on how culturally diverse Nubia was.
The only reason it isn't "conclusive" is because Meroitic in itself and Nilo-Saharan languages as a whole aren't understood well enough as opposed to Cushitic languages. The mystery behind them makes it so that new evidence for a Nilo-Saharan classification can always be challenged. I've seen both good arguments for and against a Nilo-Saharan classification but a Cushitic language doesn't seem like a language that would be prominent among the ancient Nubians. Obviously Cushitic languages would've existed, it would be near impossible to argue against this, but they would have been small in number and more common among the eastern desert populations as I mentioned earlier. I believe until there is evidence to say otherwise, Nilo-Saharan languages would have logically constituted the majority of Ancient Nubia with the exclusion of the Pharaonic language.
The skeletal record doesn't suggest that at all. All the way from the time of the first cities south of Egypt, Nubians seem to be pretty damn Eurasian-rich. The progenitors of Nubian civilisation in the A Group Culture were quite literally straight to curly haired, potentially light brown-haired folk. You know? Kinda like their modern descendants around the first 2 cataracts. Here's what Strouhal had to say about them:
May you link these skeletal records, I am yet to find much on this. Also, I don't deny a diverse field of Eurasian admixture existing among ancient Nubians, I am simply acknowledging the Modern Nilotic connection. Interesting stuff about the curly hair, I'd also want to see a link on that it sounds pretty cool. I also prefer to dismiss anything that uses "Caucasoid" and "Negroid" as if they hold any sort of scientific value in the modern age.
Besides that, please provide evidence for the genetics point I'm pretty sure I know what you're referring to already, and it struggles with the same problems as your previous point. Also, what migrations? I'm a fan of oral traditions myself, but they don't do much for me when the evidence to the contrary is so convincing. I have an open mind, shoot.
I am referencing this study that dates admixture in Nubians to mostly be attributed to peninsular migrations which logically means reversing this effect leaves with an ancient population that would have some individuals with near to no genetic distance to modern notes if the West African affinity in Nilotes is ruled out. Also focus on how I mention "some" I am not arguing Kush was a homogenous playground for Dinka people.

The only reason it isn't "conclusive" is because Meroitic in itself and Nilo-Saharan languages as a whole aren't understood well enough as opposed to Cushitic languages. The mystery behind them makes it so that new evidence for a Nilo-Saharan classification can always be challenged. I've seen both good arguments for and against a Nilo-Saharan classification but a Cushitic language doesn't seem like a language that would be prominent among the ancient Nubians. Obviously Cushitic languages would've existed, it would be near impossible to argue against this, but they would have been small in number and more common among the eastern desert populations as I mentioned earlier. I believe until there is evidence to say otherwise, Nilo-Saharan languages would have logically constituted the majority of Ancient Nubia with the exclusion of the Pharaonic language.

May you link these skeletal records, I am yet to find much on this. Also, I don't deny a diverse field of Eurasian admixture existing among ancient Nubians, I am simply acknowledging the Modern Nilotic connection. Interesting stuff about the curly hair, I'd also want to see a link on that it sounds pretty cool. I also prefer to dismiss anything that uses "Caucasoid" and "Negroid" as if they hold any sort of scientific value in the modern age.

I am referencing this study that dates admixture in Nubians to mostly be attributed to peninsular migrations which logically means reversing this effect leaves with an ancient population that would have some individuals with near to no genetic distance to modern notes if the West African affinity in Nilotes is ruled out. Also focus on how I mention "some" I am not arguing Kush was a homogenous playground for Dinka people.
Most of what you say is speculative and nobody has the answers but the genetic evidence that exists of the middle Nile has always shown a great chunk of Eurasian admixture in every sample.

that’s not to say pure nilotes didn’t exist in the area.

Most of what you say is speculative and nobody has the answers but the genetic evidence that exists of the middle Nile has always shown a great chunk of Eurasian admixture in every sample.

that’s not to say pure nilotes didn’t exist in the area.
Most of what I say regarding linguistics is speculative mainly because we know so little about Meroitic, the main language of Kush, that only leaves us with more mystery revolving around the lesser-known languages spoken by the commoners. Despite my speculations, most linguists seem to advocate for a comfortable assignment of Nilo-Saharan as of right now, some Afro-Asiatic elements exist and have been acknowledged but these have been brushed off in thought of them being Ancient Egyptian influences.
middle Nile has always shown a great chunk of Eurasian admixture in every sample
I haven't seen studies in specific that manage to accurately map out any ancient Nubian genome aside from the 2 Kulubnarti samples so I'd appreciate it if you could link what you're referencing. I also do not deny the existence of Eurasian admixture in Kush, I've never denied it.

Most of what I say regarding linguistics is speculative mainly because we know so little about Meroitic, the main language of Kush, that only leaves us with more mystery revolving around the lesser-known languages spoken by the commoners. Despite my speculations, most linguists seem to advocate for a comfortable assignment of Nilo-Saharan as of right now, some Afro-Asiatic elements exist and have been acknowledged but these have been brushed off in thought of them being Ancient Egyptian influences.

I haven't seen studies in specific that manage to accurately map out any ancient Nubian genome aside from the 2 Kulubnarti samples so I'd appreciate it if you could link what you're referencing. I also do not deny the existence of Eurasian admixture in Kush, I've never denied it.

Medieval Nubians pre arab expansion

A meroitic sample found somewhere in Rome, modern day Serbia I believe.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-25384-y

Kerma period sample 4000 years ago.

Medieval Nubians pre arab expansion

A meroitic sample found somewhere in Rome, modern day Serbia I believe.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-25384-y

Kerma period sample 4000 years ago.
Thanks, have any of these samples (excluding Medieval) been incorporated into coordinates to be used in Vahaduo?

Trending