Who has been back home?

Have you went back home?

• Total voters

GemState

36/21
VIP
Stayed there for around a year, it's exactly the shithole I thought it was. Probably never going back

Most memorable moment? Probably meeting extended family, that was pretty cool.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
Been there three times. One visit was too many. I have multiple baloor and dozens of camels there. All gifted to me but I have asked to sell it as I want to cut my ties there. No need to sugar coat it, it's the world's most terrible place.

I find it very interesting though that there has been a huge drop in Somali parents in the west no longer choosing to retire there.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
You know, this would be really cool! I've only been to Hargeysa, Berbera, and Burco. It'd be nice to see some cultural sites and the traditional way of life, not only in SL, but also in Puntland, and down south (safety permitting ofc).

I think it can only work in PL and SL at this point in time.

However, imagine a two week tour around all the historic sites, cities, towns and a weekend with nomads.

:banderas:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
@AbdiGaalDoon and @IPushFatKids

You guys bring up good points, however, I feel like we’re detracting from the main point.

This is supposed to be a positive thread about our experiences back home.

The whole point is to encourage others to visit and check it out for themselves.

You guys had the opportunity to go and make up your mind. Don’t ruin other people’s right to.

GemState

36/21
VIP
Been there three times. One visit was too many. I have multiple baloor and dozens of camels there. All gifted to me but I have asked to sell it as I want to cut my ties there. No need to sugar coat it, it's the world's most terrible place.

I find it very interesting though that there has been a huge drop in Somali parents in the west no longer choosing to retire there.
Most were in denial from the 90s/early 2000s, only as they approach retirement do they start realizing they really ain't going back. By that point, they regret creating roots in their host country when they could. Cautionary tale of what not to do as an immigrant group

Among their kids though, there's generally an acceptance their long term future is in whatever country they are in, the idea of relocating to Somalia doesn't even register in their heads.

@IPushFatKids Without making a long post somalia is on the up and up.We've made massive progress in the years following 2012.Our budget increased from just over 100 million to 700 million within the span of 4 years and thats without taxing the locals.Not to mention winning the ICG case, expelling al-kebab from major towns and reducing them to a small band of guerrilla warfare mongerers ect.Just 10 yrs ago alshabaab controlled major towns in southern somalia,we've come a long way.Once we get proper taxation processes in place we could expect our revenues to increase which would allow the development of government funded infrastructure projects.Somalia might not be great today but in 20 yrs when we're entering our 40s I rkn it will be far beyond what we expect it to be.

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
@IPushFatKids Without making a long post somalia is on the up and up.We've made massive progress in the years following 2012.Our budget increased from just over 100 million to 700 million within the span of 4 years and thats without taxing the locals.Not to mention winning the ICG case, expelling al-kebab from major towns and reducing them to a small band of guerrilla warfare mongerers ect.Just 10 yrs ago alshabaab controlled major towns in southern somalia,we've come a long way.Once we get proper taxation processes in place we could expect our revenues to increase which would allow the development of government funded infrastructure projects.Somalia might not be great today but in 20 yrs when we're entering our 40s I rkn it will be far beyond what we expect it to be.

Kenya’s budget when you adjust it to Somalia’s size (12 million people) is only 6 Billion USD.

Somalia’s budget without including most of FMS or even income taxes etc is almost at 1 billion USD.

It’s also not including Foreign Direct Investment or critical revenue generators such as railways, world class airports, sea ports, power plants and factories.

Imagine how much a stable and united Somali government’s budget would be?

Kenya’s budget when you adjust it to Somalia’s size (12 million people) is only 6 Billion USD.

Somalia’s budget without including most of FMS or even income taxes etc is almost at 1 billion USD.

It’s also not including Foreign Direct Investment or critical revenue generators such as railways, world class airports, sea ports, power plants and factories.

Imagine how much a stable and united Somali government’s budget would be?
Nicely put, we have insane potential

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
If BTC pumps to 100K, I might try my luck in Somalia.

Lol, I will then have enough capital to set up a company.
Its terrible in the first year but you get used to it, upsides:

no constant bills coming to your door
no tax

downsides:

bad healthcare
no job opportunities

I have been back home several times my most memorable experience I had is the constant bullying I used to get from kids when I first came to the homeland cuz I was a diaspora kid and now I'm buddies with them

Last edited:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
I have been back home several times my most memorable experience I had is the constant bullying I used to get from kids when I first came to the homeland cuz I was a diaspora kid and now I'm buddies with them

I remember whenever I used to walk outside and kids would scream dhaqan celis.

Once I got so annoyed that I said “dhaqan celistaan baa hooyada wasay”.

:mjlol:

Based

VIP
@IPushFatKids
Alla been badana :farmajoyaab: that second paragraph confirms that you are a fool who has never been to Xamar and is jealous that you'll forever remain a qaxooti and die a qaxooti

Trending

Latest posts