Who can't understand this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IntensiveCareUnit

always thought it seemed more like a language of it's own than a mere dialect...

S

Shamis

Its not foreign enough - the similarities are more than the differences, we just have lazy ears.

there is such a thing as an irir samaale dialect. the subtle difference between a person in burco and person in mugdisho. its like khaleeji arabs and maghrebi arabs, they understand each other perfectly but there is a subtle difference with in the same culture.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
there is such a thing as an irir samaale dialect. the subtle difference between a person in burco and person in mugdisho. its like khaleeji arabs and maghrebi arabs, they understand each other perfectly but there is a subtle difference with in the same culture.

You mean cisse, fiqishini and gudabursi aren't reer waqooyi. Do you even know what irir Samaale is?

S

Shamis

Besides the 'Soo Dhawaada' which is not Rendile, but aimed at us (caku gaalo) - its a completely foreign language.

You mean cisse, fiqishini and gudabursi aren't reer waqooyi. Do you even know what irir Samaale is?
i know someone would bring that point up.

those communities are small in number and heavely influenced by my community, our music and poetry plus play writing was extremely popular with them, in the onion days it was even popular with reer mugdisho, not to mention ciise and gadabursi are friendly intertwined with reer waqoyi for centuries. today the dialect most used in the media with in the somali peninsula is the waqoyi dialect as it is the smoothest not the best but the smoothest.

for example is in this the dialect which all somali media from djbouti to mugdisho uses? notice you wont hear words like "saas waaye" or "nooh"

Apollo

VIP
Besides the 'Soo Dhawaada' which is not Rendile, but aimed at us (caku gaalo) - its a completely foreign language.

If you were ever wondering how Somali sounds like to foreigners then listening to Rendille must be the closest thing for Somalis to experience that feeling, lol.

Sort of like this fake English clip is how English sounds like to non-English speakers:

I

IntensiveCareUnit

there's more than just "soo dhawooda" though. I think i heard a "inta la qabtay" and some other somali words! it's about as foreign as maay maay

S

Shamis

I'm not Irir and I say 'saas waaye' - that's just Southern shortening, we also say 'sidaas waaye'. Seey weeye/sideey weeye - saan waaye/sidaan waaye - its not a dialect, we use both options.

S

Shamis

there's more than just "soo dhawooda" though. I think i heard a "inta la qabtay" and some other somali words! it's about as foreign as maay maay

Maay Maay has tonnes of words in common with Maxaa tirri ! Rendiile is a foreign language and trust me they probably don't use those words, its Christian propaganda to get gaalo communities and Somali communities closer. They're probably trying to merge our languages in the Churches so they can flood them into Somalia :browtf:

I

IntensiveCareUnit

Maay Maay has tonnes of Maxaa tirri words! This is a foreign languages and trust me they probably don't use those words, its Christian propaganda to get gaalo communities and Somali communities closer.
af maay maay and af maxaa tiri are as different as spanish and portugese and other latin languages!
it's more than just a dialect

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
af maay maay and af maxaa tiri are as different as spanish and portugese and other latin languages!
it's more than just a dialect

I don't agree, I could make out about 50% of the second video shamis posted, about the same amount as I can understand of abdi good. I think if you're from the south it's easier to understand, just a few strange additions and sentence structure is different. That doesn't qualify as a language.

U

uncleruckus

For some reason i can understand him perfectly why i don't know ? :zhqjlmx:
by the way the speaker is very articulate, you can guess he had a lot of practice.

I

IntensiveCareUnit

I don't agree, I could make out about 50% of the second video shamis posted, about the same amount as I can understand of abdi good. I think if you're from the south it's easier to understand, just a few strange additions and sentence structure is different. That doesn't qualify as a language.
most spanish speakers can make out portugese and even italian though, and vice versa. you prolly understand it better, than say me, bc you grew accustom to it, while i haven't.

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP
i know someone would bring that point up.

those communities are small in number and heavely influenced by my community, our music and poetry plus play writing was extremely popular with them, in the onion days it was even popular with reer mugdisho, not to mention ciise and gadabursi are friendly intertwined with reer waqoyi for centuries. today the dialect most used in the media with in the somali peninsula is the waqoyi dialect as it is the smoothest not the best but the smoothest.

for example is in this the dialect which all somali media from djbouti to mugdisho uses? notice you wont hear words like "saas waaye" or "nooh"

So many inaccuracies....

Do you think only isaaq and 'reer xamar' are the only somali speaking people.

S

Shamis

@miski Waaqoyi has the same sentence structure, grammar etc but word usages vary. Maay is a Southern Somali language, either we branched off it form it or they branched off from maxaa. It does not belong to anyone but Somalis so its a Somali language.

Status
Not open for further replies.