Who built the lighthouse of barawa?

Hamzza

VIP
First you say Portuguese. Then you say Italians. If Italians did we would know it for sure. Here is my source to deny your claims. This book Esplorazione Commerciale (Commercial exploration) is an Italian book that reports facts on many areas of Africa from 1891. This the quote
Sull'isolotto Barette esistono le vestigia di un faro, di ignota fondazione, you can easily translate it on Google. " On the island of Barette there are the remains of a lighthouse of UNKNOWN foundation."
It wasn't Italian, the Italians found the lighthouse when they came in Barawe and had no idea who built it. They never suggested that it was the Portuguese, the source suggests it may be an indication of Barawe being an Arab commercial colony but since early Italian sources often conflate Arabs and Somalis it's likely that the lighthouse was built by natives of Barawe
CASE CLOSED.
Thank you for the source, can you give me page number?
Arabs were not known to build lighthouses, infact they were pirates in the indian ocean.
The case is very far from closed barawe in it's history was under different powers, do you know barawe was tributary to the portuguese for 200 years untill omanis expelled the portuguese from the coast?
Even Some barawanis said to me saciid barqash built this lighthouse.

Som

VIP
We have pre-colonial photos of mogadishu, i'm sure there was no lighthouse in mogadishu only the minarets of some old masjids.
Yes i know that they destroyed the wall to make space for the expansion of the city.
Do you have a picture of that same sea side area at the beginning of the colonial times? I remember reading something about pre existing ruined building in the same site as the current lighthouse.

Hamzza

VIP
Do you have a picture of that same sea side area at the beginning of the colonial times? I remember reading something about pre existing ruined building in the same site as the current lighthouse.
This a is the old port of shingaani where the lighthouse is located today
IMG_20220514_173714.jpg

Hamzza

VIP
if your talking about the lighthouse in barawa then it is definitely built by italians
I'm talking about all the lighthouses in somalia
The lighthouse of mogadishu was built by italy
The lighthouse of marka was built by italy
The lighthouse of guardafui was built italy
The lighthouse of berbera was built by either the british or the turks as the northwest somali region has rich colonial history.

Trending

Latest posts