Who built the Gedi ruins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The name is cushitic but it seems that this beautiful town is more close to horn-of -african than bantu.

So who built it?

1200px-Great_Mosque_of_Gede.jpg

IMG_5974.jpg

Always Lit

Everybody lies, which ones are tolerable??
The name is cushitic but it seems that this beautiful town is more close to horn-of -african than bantu.

So who built it?

1200px-Great_Mosque_of_Gede.jpg

IMG_5974.jpg
i think its in Malindi. i once went on a safari there really nice. place was home to muslims. the qibla is still intact. there are also courts. There are hella things to see. Really nice.

i think its in Malindi. i once went on a safari there really nice. place was home to muslims. the qibla is still intact. there are also courts. There are hella things to see. Really nice.
i know its in malindi but who built it?

lol portugese couldnt be there taht long come on now....
It's the big stone archway over top and the brickwork style, there appears to be two symbols carved over the archway in the first image that would be more conclusive as to who built this.

It's the big stone archway over top and the brickwork style, there appears to be two symbols carved over the archway in the first image that would be more conclusive as to who built this.
i debated a portugese guy who said they ruled somalis for 200 yrs lol..

is this true?

The Portuguese took cities from great empires and kingdoms all over the world, in the 16th century they had the greatest army and navy in the world. Not in size but ability.
but there is not structural or genetic proof of them ruling barawa..

It's really not BS, this isn't even contested history, retaking Baraawe from the Portuguese was one of the main goals of the Ottoman and Arab fleet in the 18th century and one of the key accomplishments of the war.

The Portuguese for a while there looked like they were going to conquer the whole Indian Ocean. In 1548 they laid siege to Jeddah. Portugal ruled Oman until 1650. People just don't know this history for some reason.

The Portuguese were finally driven out of East Africa in 1698 after besieging them in Fort Jesus (in Mombasa) for over 3 years. The Omanis, who had been ruled by the Portuguese for centuries were the ones who finally defeated them and took some of their colonies, which is how Oman and later Zanzibar ended up controlling Banaadir, when they kicked the Portuguese out in 1698 they were left in control of Baraawe. The Portuguese would never be fully driven out of East Africa and ruled over Mozambique until the 1970s.

Baraawe was a minor holding of the Portuguese, they just had the tower there and a tiny garrisson, but Baraawe couldn't be retaken until Fort Jesus fell, since there was a big garrison there with lots of ships.

Last edited:
@James Dahl, off topic but do you know who the El Amir was that controlled Marka after the Ajuuran?

I don't know Marka's history that well, it was apparently a republic at one point like Baraawe and Mogadishu were and at some indeterminate point came under the Ajuuraan (unclear whether it was like Mogadishu a vassal republic or directly ruled by Ajuuraan) and after that I have no idea.

I don't know Marka's history that well, it was apparently a republic at one point like Baraawe and Mogadishu were and at some indeterminate point came under the Ajuuraan (unclear whether it was like Mogadishu a vassal republic or directly ruled by Ajuuraan) and after that I have no idea.

I see. Historians seem to think that the mysterious group known as El Amir that took control of Marka were Hawiye, Guillan suggested that they were Abgaal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending