'Whitest' half Somali

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merca

Inactive.
I met a half Somali guy today (his mother is white, father is Somali) and he's probably the most "whitest" half Somali I've ever seen. He knows absolutely nothing about Somali/a/land or the culture, and the funniest part was that his name is very white. Picture the whitest of white names! :mjlol:

How come that many half Somalis, particularly those born from non-Somali women, don't know anything about their father's background even though they've grown up with both of their parents?

Merca

Inactive.
This is why I won't ever marry out.

Kids end up confused and not sure what they are.
I just think it's very important to teach the children both cultures so they won't end up not knowing what they are. I've seen some half Somalis only flaunting their Somali origins, but that was because their father taught them a lot.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
But in our culture, the children follow the father, so shouldn't they know their roots and forefathers etc?

What I mean is some people marry out with the intent of shedding their identity either subconsciously or consciously. Their reasoning for marrying outside their community is sometimes a derivative of that feeling, and with that they don't really have a reason to teach their kid their heritage.

Sometimes it's legit self hate. And there are others that attempt to balance both cultures which is perfectly fine, but it become harder when we're talking about white people in a majority white country. Their culture specifically is engulfing and so easily adaptable. There really isn't room for anything else.

Merca

Inactive.
What I mean is some people marry out with the intent of shedding their identity either subconsciously or consciously. Their reasoning for marrying outside their community is sometimes a derivative of that feeling, and with that they don't really have a reason to teach their kid their heritage.

Sometimes it's legit self hate. And there are others that attempt to balance both cultures which is perfectly fine, but it become harder when we're talking about white people in a majority white country. Their culture specifically is engulfing and so easily adaptable. There really isn't room for anything else.
You explained it well

maestro

Cultural revolution
I just think it's very important to teach the children both cultures so they won't end up not knowing what they are. I've seen some half Somalis only flaunting their Somali origins, but that was because their father taught them a lot.

It's very important yes but how many interracial couples actually take the time to teach kids about both cultures? It just seems a real pain in the ass and no one would do it. Not the average person. Plus the kids will hate being forced to learn all this and will just abandon everything and create their own identity. Check all the confused mixed raced people on Tumblr struggling to come up with ridiculous ideas to identify as.

Btw children will usually adapt the mothers culture since she's with them most of the time.

I met a half Somali guy today (his mother is white, father is Somali) and he's probably the most "whitest" half Somali I've ever seen. He knows absolutely nothing about Somali/a/land or the culture, and the funniest part was that his name is very white. Picture the whitest of white names! :mjlol:

How come that many half Somalis, particularly those born from non-Somali women, don't know anything about their father's background even though they've grown up with both of their parents?
will your kids become part of that statistic?:lolbron:

Merca

Inactive.
Actually it's usually the mother that teaches the children language and culture.
Those children won't be seen as Somalis because their father isn't one? You inherit your clan through your father, that's why? Many on this site hold this view.

Those children won't be seen as Somalis because their father isn't one? You inherit your clan through your father, that's why? Many on this site hold this view.
Yes the kids won't be seen as Somali if the father isn't one. But it's the mother that teaches the kids at home. The father doesn't usually teach the kids, especially when they're young.

But in our culture, the children follow the father, so shouldn't they know their roots and forefathers etc?
thats not true at all, probably the complete opposite. half somali children with somali mother are 99% of the time the ones who are more connected to our culture. the whole 'children follow their father' is probably a way to discourage somali women from marrying out. most somali fathers hardly contribute to child rearing so how exactly are they supposed to follow their father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending