What's your favorite Somali history facts?

Hamzza

VIP
One of my favorites is that we have one of the oldest masjids in the world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masjid_al-Qiblatayn_(Somaliland).

By the way, is it wrong for me to wish it continues to stay as a ruin? I remember reading that there might be plans to demolish and rebuild. They could always build a new masjid; but I don't know if I would want them to destroy what's standing.

Hopefully this becomes a cool thread.
The Mosque of Qiblatayn is certainly ancient(was probably built in the 12th century), but it's not one of the oldest Masjids in the world. There are thousands of Masjids all over the world that are older than this Mosque.

The Mosque of Qiblatayn is certainly ancient(was probably built in the 12th century), but it's not one of the oldest Masjids in the world. There are thousands of Masjids all over the world that are older than this Mosque.

How can it be built in 12th century when the prophet prayed towards Jerusalem for almost first ten years ?

Qiblatain means mosque with two Qibla referring to when nabi SAW prayed towards Jerusalem then ordered by Allah to pray towards Mecca after yahuuds refused to accept him as Nabi.

Little kids and their lack of history. If this mosque has two Qibla certainly it was built with in first 9 years of Nabi saw becoming a prophet

perhaps Somalis were Muslim by then. Also Muslims left for Horn of Africa to seek protection. Somalis were one of the first people to accept Islam

12 centruary kulaha. Bro it was literally pointing toward Jerusalem. This means that it was built before the Muslims took back Mecca. Stop revising Somali history

Hamzza

VIP
How can it be built in 12th century when the prophet prayed towards Jerusalem for almost first ten years ?

Qiblatain means mosque with two Qibla referring to when nabi SAW prayed towards Jerusalem then ordered by Allah to pray towards Mecca after yahuuds refused to accept him as Nabi.

Little kids and their lack of history. If this mosque has two Qibla certainly it was built with in first 9 years of Nabi saw becoming a prophet

perhaps Somalis were Muslim by then. Also Muslims left for Horn of Africa to seek protection. Somalis were one of the first people to accept Islam
This doesn't make any sense for several reasons:

1. Jerusalem and Makkah are at the same direction when you are in Zeyla.
2. There is no proof that Zeyla or the Somali coast was part of Axum, certainly the court of the Abyssinian Negus wasn't in Zeyla.
3. Why would the Sahaba when they sailed from the Hijaz coast travel to Zeyla instead of the closer Suakin, Massawa or Adulis?
4. The Salat was made obligatory in the year 621 AD, and the Hijra was in the year 613 AD, so the Muslims didn't need any Mosque.....

@peacemaker Allah didn't order to be prayed towards Makkah because the Jews refused to accept the prophet.

Som

VIP
Most sources online claim it's a 7th century mosque which would make it very old and probably the oldest in subsaharan Africa together with najashi mosque in Ethiopia. My guess though is that it has nothing to do with the Hijra in Abyssinia and was built later probably 100-200 years after that

Last edited:

Som

VIP
This doesn't make any sense for several reasons:

1. Jerusalem and Makkah are at the same direction when you are in Zeyla.
2. There is no proof that Zeyla or the Somali coast was part of Axum, certainly the court of the Abyssinian Negus wasn't in Zeyla.
3. Why would the Sahaba when they sailed from the Hijaz coast travel to Zeyla instead of the closer Suakin, Massawa or Adulis?
4. The Salat was made obligatory in the year 621 AD, and the Hijra was in the year 613 AD, so the Muslims didn't need any Mosque.....

@peacemaker Allah didn't order to be prayed towards Makkah because the Jews refused to accept the prophet.
1) the mosque is in ruins so the two qibla thing may be sketchy i agree.
2) Zeyla was briefly occupied by Ethiopians in the middle ages but that's way after the Axum era. We know though that the Axumites had influence over northern somalia, they did not exactly rule it but they were present
3) i think the claim that the Zeyla mosque was built by the sahabas is sketchy but still there are two options: either the sahabas from Ethiopia migrated east and built it or it was built by later waves of Muslim immigrants. This last option is the most reliable as there's evidence of Arabs settling on the northern Coast of Somalia and bringing Islam. The mosque is probably very old but from a post sahabas period, maybe 8th or 9th century

Aden Cade was the 1st African president to give power peacefully to his successor. After his term as President.

Hamzza

VIP

@Maxmfhjkhd what's your take on this? Do you think Uthman and Jafar RA prayed in Mosque Al Qiblatayn Zeylac?

After researching Somali history for 12 years here's what I love about Somali History.

1. Theirs no written Somali history, all the books used by kids to debate each other are written by Westerners who speculate on Somali history. Everything is speculation.

2. Somalis are just another Cushitic tribe, no different from Oromos and Afars

3. Theirs no just thing as Sheik Darood, Issaq, Dir, or Hawiye, it's all mythology, especially the first two to get close to the Prophet. DNA, linguistics, and anatomy prove that.

4. Qabil was fluid, while many Somalis got absorbed by Oromos.

5. No Somali ruled Maldives lol

6. Zero Archaeology done in Somali lands to uncover any history left behind

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
After researching Somali history for 12 years here's what I love about Somali History.

1. Theirs no written Somali history, all the books used by kids to debate each other are written by Westerners who speculate on Somali history. Everything is speculation.

3. Theirs no just thing as Sheik Darood, Issaq, Dir, or Hawiye, it's all mythology, especially the first two to get close to the Prophet. DNA, linguistics, and anatomy prove that.

somalis did rule maldives

I would be extremely ashamed if after ‘12 years’ of research those were my conclusions.
You desperately need to go back and do some more reading.

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
Masjid al qiblatayn is one of the world's oldest mosques
Probably the oldest in africa
It has 2 qiblas making it obvious that it was already there before the qiblah was changed
Not 12th century but 7th century

Trending