What'd it be like if MSB stepped down from power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to summon Antonio you have to use all the magic buzzwords.

1977, Ogaden War, Ogaden, Cuba, Kuuba Naaso Weyne, MSB, Siyaad Barre, SNM, SSDF, Ethiopia, Jigjiga, Dire Dawa, Somali Abbo, SALF, WSLF

He will be here soon. :gaasdrink:

Nigga you have Aidiid and Yusuf to thank for your parents meeting. Museveni has been in power for decades and there is no war in Uganda.

Ain't that the truth. People don't want to ever admit that though, so they place the blame only on MSB and his government.
Its very dishonest and deceptive. We have had warlords as presidents since he was ousted, we have the everyday person taking up arms, child soldiers etc. I haven't seen one benefit from the SSDF and the USC/SNMs efforts.

Its also worse that they wrre treasonous and worked with Ethiopia to overthrow their government. There are other ways to go about things and air your grieviances and these guys were not honest. They were simply power hungry.
/rant over

Bollocks!!!!!! Abdullahi Yusuf was not responsible for the refugee crisis of the early 90s.
:mahubowtf:

It was those spastic USC cunts. They decided it was okay to murder civilians, woman and children included. They even murdered some of the Daroods that were a part of the manifesto group. They were in the bloody team lol. They even let high ranking Hawiye officials in the government join their organisation, despite their many years of service to the government they were supposedly fighting.

Bohol

VIP
Ain't that the truth. People don't want to ever admit that though, so they place the blame only on MSB and his government.
Its very dishonest and deceptive. We have had warlords as presidents since he was ousted, we have the everyday person taking up arms, child soldiers etc. I haven't seen one benefit from the SSDF and the USC/SNMs efforts.

Its also worse that they wrre treasonous and worked with Ethiopia to overthrow their government. There are other ways to go about things and air your grieviances and these guys were not honest. They were simply power hungry.
/rant over

SSDF gave birth to Puntland, SNM gave birth to Somaliland. Both of those regions are today the most peaceful in Somalia compared to under Siad Bare. So I wouldn't say there wasn't any benefit.

:manny:

SSDF gave birth to Puntland, SNM gave birth to Somaliland. Both of those regions are today the most peaceful in Somalia compared to under Siad Bare. So I wouldn't say there wasn't any benefit.

You're right, actually. It hasn't benefitted the country as a whole though. Just those federal states, and I say good for them. I just wish Somali's could resolve things in a more diplomatic manner. We wouldn't have been in this mess then.

Bohol

VIP
You're right, actually. It hasn't benefitted the country as a whole though. Just those federal states, and I say good for them. I just wish Somali's could resolve things in a more diplomatic manner. We wouldn't have been in this mess then.

It is a common knowledge MSB wasn't good for Somaliland and Puntland but he was good for south Somalia.

World

VIP

Siad Barre ruled for 22 years and look at the progress he done for the country. It's approaching 27 years since he was ousted, but what has been accomplished? Other than the fact that Somaliland is peaceful and somewhat democratic, what has been achieved? A few water harvesting dams(costs no more than £100k whilst Somaliland earns hundreds of millions in revenue a year that is stolen), a half complete road(which was mostly paid by the diaspora and not even the government)? The unemployment rate in Somaliland is at 70 % and the people are only surviving due to remittance transfers. If Somaliland is so great, then why are tens of thousands every year risking their lives to come to Europe?

Last edited:
It is a common knowledge MSB wasn't good for Somaliland and Puntland but he was good for south Somalia.
Its still better than the overall current state of Somalia. All sides have their faults, I think its important to be fair and honest and most people aren't when it comes to the downfall of Somalia.
Oh, well. The only way is up, we can't go any lower.

Bohol

VIP
Siad Barre ruled for 22 years and look at the progress he done for the country. It's approaching 27 years since he was ousted, but what has been accomplished? Other than the fact that Somaliland is peaceful and somewhat democratic, what has been achieved? A few water harvesting dams(costs no more than £100k whilst Somaliland earns hundreds of millions in revenue a year that is stolen), a half complete road(which was mostly paid by the diaspora and not even the government)? The unemployment rate in Somaliland is at 70 % and the people are only surviving due to remittance transfers. If Somaliland is so great, then why are tens of thousands every year risking their lives to come to Europe?

Granted there is high corruption in Somaliland and development is slow however it is still better than under Siad Bare where entire cities were destroyed.

Bohol

VIP
Its still better than the overall current state of Somalia. All sides have their faults, I think its important to be fair and honest and most people aren't when it comes to the downfall of Somalia.
Oh, well. The only way is up, we can't go any lower.

The reason federal states were created was so everyone can develop their region without
others pulling their legs (crabs in a bucket mentality). For example if Gedo is riddled with
terrorists it doesn't mean Garowe or Hargeisa has to suffer the same. Federalism has had
some positive impact on Somalia. If one corner of Somalia is burning the others don't have
to burn.

World

VIP
Granted there is high corruption in Somaliland and development is slow however it is still better than under Siad Bare where entire cities were destroyed.
I'm talking about before the Isaaq decided to fight against the dictatorship. Before the SNM gained traction. Are you saying that life in Hargeisa in 1980 was worse than life today?

Bohol

VIP
I'm talking about before the Isaaq decided to fight against the dictatorship. Before the SNM gained traction. Are you saying that life in Hargeisa in 1980 was worse than life today?

Even back in those days there was unequal wealth distribution between the north and south. The rebellion started in late 70s to early 80s.

World

VIP
Even back in those days there was unequal wealth distribution between the north and south. The rebellion started in late 70s to early 80s.
Okay but that was because the government was centralised and they would gain more money by investing in Xamar and the South which all Somalis lived in at the time. The employement rate, poverty, literacy rate, standards of living were all much higher than they are today. The rebellion didn't gain traction among the majority of Isaaq until the government started indiscriminately targeting citizens.

But tell me, where is all of the money and revenue that the Somaliland government earns today? At least the other government built the cement factory, the Berbera port, the hundreds of thousands of nomads they were helping(moving them to the coast, to the fertile regions in the south, water infrastructure etc), and built the main roads for the North. Today hundreds of millions are being stolen every year and not even 1 % is being invested into the country!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending