What went wrong with Somali integration to west?

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
When my family arrived to the states they lived in the hood. My uncles and aunts that arrived here as young adults didn't really turn out as well compared to their younger siblings that were preteens when they arrived.

I was a bit lucky growing up because my parents had some close relationships with my uncle's and aunts that turned out pretty well.

One thing they did that stood out to me was that they moved away for college. At the time they were all living in the hood. Most somalis tend to just go to a local community college just to avoid taking out loans while still staying in the hoods they were raised in.

I honestly believe that decision to move away for school played a role on how they turned out. If you look at AAs for example a bunch of them legit do the same thing. That's why you can find a lot of them complaining about student loan debt. They graduated with a degree, broke into the middle class, and now have to deal with some debt. I asked my uncle recently about his and he told me he payed his off after 7 years of working.my other aunts and uncles said they paid it off within 10-12 years.

@AbdiFreedom do you think if most young Somali men moved away for college we would have higher graduation rates?
Thats the student loan scam, thats why you take advantage of programs and do well in school. Opt for community college and get your fafsa done. Debt like that will be a shackle to you especially when 99% goes to interest

Kisame

Plotting world domination
Thats the student loan scam, thats why you take advantage of programs and do well in school. Opt for community college and get your fafsa done. Debt like that will be a shackle to you especially when 99% goes to interest
Eh the debt shit doesn't bother me that much in the long run. My relatives could have paid off their loans sooner but they started families quickly after they graduated. The loans weren't even that hard to pay off since they all work in stem fields.
Their situations would have seemed worse if they couldn't land any decent paying jobs.

Thalassocracy

سبحان اللهِ وبحمدِه Free Palestine
Eh the debt shit doesn't bother me that much in the long run. My relatives could have paid off their loans sooner but they started families quickly after they graduated. The loans weren't even that hard to pay off since they all work in stem fields.
Their situations would have seemed worse if they couldn't land any decent paying jobs.
Just know that riba isn’t a money trap but it’s mortgaging your time and consequently your lifespan away leading you to wasting your life away into abject failure

Thalassocracy

سبحان اللهِ وبحمدِه Free Palestine
Dumb thing to say, why not take advantage of all percs west have to offer, like freedom to do almost everything you want.

You are being ungrateful. :ulyin:
We should have higher goals other than eating and drinking like cattle

AbdiFreedom

Save 🇨🇦 from Mass Punjabi Invasion
Staff Member
When my family arrived to the states they lived in the hood. My uncles and aunts that arrived here as young adults didn't really turn out as well compared to their younger siblings that were preteens when they arrived.

I was a bit lucky growing up because my parents had some close relationships with my uncle's and aunts that turned out pretty well.

One thing they did that stood out to me was that they moved away for college. At the time they were all living in the hood. Most somalis tend to just go to a local community college just to avoid taking out loans while still staying in the hoods they were raised in.

I honestly believe that decision to move away for school played a role on how they turned out. If you look at AAs for example a bunch of them legit do the same thing. That's why you can find a lot of them complaining about student loan debt. They graduated with a degree, broke into the middle class, and now have to deal with some debt. I asked my uncle recently about his and he told me he payed his off after 7 years of working.my other aunts and uncles said they paid it off within 10-12 years.

@AbdiFreedom do you think if most young Somali men moved away for college we would have higher graduation rates?

I dont think that's necessary. They just have to start prioritizing associating with cadaans and model minorities. Then you fill your days and make yourself too busy for Somali distractions. Somali youth are too accessible with every kind of Somali. I knew of two very smart Somali students growing up who are now in jail for very serious crimes. Some others who got influenced by others who didn't take life seriously. Your life can go terribly wrong if you get Somali-distracted at such a vulnerable age.

Trending