What We Must Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
D3S2VcxWAAAsLH2.jpg:large

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
Japan is a good mix of culture and modern society.

It's a country Somalia should strive to be like.

Disagree strongly with that; Japan is incredibly westernized and only varies from the West in terms of their visual aesthetic or in this case--their superficial cultural aspects.

A_A

Islamic Fanfiction Writer
Compared to other countries Somalia wasn’t affected as badly as say Senegal

Disagree strongly with that; Japan is incredibly westernized and only varies from the West in terms of their visual aesthetic or in this case--their superficial cultural aspects.
No. Economically they are very westernized in regards to consumer habits, but they are not western in culture. 98% homogeneity is a testament to this. They still keep old-school hierarchies in terms of social standing in corporate structures. Japan is very different from the US and UK. Don't let social media fool you. Life there is not like in the west.

Japan is semi-Western at best. People get fooled by it being highly industrialized, mistaking that to be a Western attribute.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
you put too much value on culture and democracy:mahubowtf:

why do you care if we are still muslim
its almost like salafism is mainly cultural and political at best :mahubowtf:

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
spreading more wahabi beliefs are you :gaasdrink:

Please elaborate? My post was meant to address the alarming trend amongst Western diaspora (not necessarily just Somalis) to ignore the philosophical and ethical elements of their culture and reduce it to simply irrelevant aspects like music and food.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
Please elaborate? My post was meant to address the alarming trend amongst Western diaspora (not necessarily just Somalis) to ignore the philosophical and ethical elements of their culture and reduce it to simply irrelevant aspects like music and food.
whats wrong with just loving somali food and music, if the diospora are listening to somali muslic and eating at somali restaurants i dont see how their not keeping up with thier dhagan

i interpreted this as a rejectiion of democracy in somalia itself or a rejection of anything western i believe this is crazy

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
you put too much value on culture and democracy:mahubowtf:

why do you care if we are still muslim
its almost like salafism is mainly cultural and political at best :mahubowtf:

Is our culture not valuable? Where was democracy mentioned?
When did I say that I didn't care that we were Muslim?
Who mentioned Salafism; subhanallah, you have an agenda against me.

tenor.gif

Is this directed at the hooyo mataalo kids who say things like “bring back guntino arab culture is destroying Somalia” and think themselves more cultured than a Somali person in Somalia while they can’t speak the language :ftw9nwa:

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
Is our culture not valuable? Where was democracy mentioned?
When did I say that I didn't care that we were Muslim?
Who mentioned Salafism; subhanallah, you have an agenda against me.

tenor.gif
i dont have an agenda :gaasdrink:

i jsut marely mistook it for the usual stuff you post usually ranting away with pro salafiya bullshit and i mistook the post to mean to reject everything western

which is still a bit crazy :siilaanyosmile:

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
whats wrong with just loving somali food and music, if the diospora are listening to somali muslic and eating at somali restaurants i dont see how their not keeping up with thier dhagan

i interpreted this as a rejectiion of democracy in somalia itself or a rejection of anything western i believe this is crazy

There's nothing wrong with enjoying Somali food and other pop culture elements, however if that's where your knowledge about the Somali culture ends then I'm afraid you're missing out on a large chunk of the Somali experince. There's so much more to the Somali identity than just a guntiino and a vague knowledge about Somali singers from the '70s and '80s; we have values, history, genealogy, traditions, literature, etc.

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
Is this directed at the hooyo mataalo kids who say things like “bring back guntino arab culture is destroying Somalia” and think themselves more cultured than a Somali person in Somalia while they can’t speak the language :ftw9nwa:

Yes. Yes it is.

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
There's nothing wrong with enjoying Somali food and other pop culture elements, however if that's where your knowledge about the Somali culture ends then I'm afraid you're missing out on a large chunk of the Somali experince. There's so much more to the Somali identity than just a guntiino and a vague knowledge about Somali singers from the '70s and '80s; we have values, history, genealogy, traditions, literature, etc.
source.gif

wow youve finally seperated you're deen from your identity
you are somali who belives in allah Marshallah sahib you are on the right path

islam is not an identity but you're deen sahib somalinimo is

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
source.gif

wow youve finally seperated you're deen from your identity
you are somali who belives in allah Marshallah sahib you are on the right path

islam is not an identity but you're deen sahib somalinimo is

No, I haven't. Nor will I ever will. I am Muslim, first and foremost. My Somali culture is just that--a culture. Islam is eternal. What nonsense are you talking about? Being Muslim is 100% an identity. Suggesting that your diin isn't an identity but Somalinimo is insinuates that Somalinimo should always come first. I'm Somali, but if there are any aspects of my culture that directly conflict with my diin, then I absolutely will not partake or endorse it. Toxic tribalism is a Somali thing that was condemned by the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) a number of times. Despite it being a Somali thing, I don't support it.

Mold your culture to fit your diin, don't mold your diin to fit your culture. That's what liberal Muslims do, and echoing the same rhetoric puts you on their level. Don't be on their level.

Last edited:

AIOPZ

Pan-Islamist
Islam is a huge part of our identity as well--so this post was also dedicated to anti-Muslim Somalis who still have the guts to call themselves "proud Somalis" but adamantly affilate themselves foremost with their supposedly "superior" Western values. If you were so proud of your Somali identity, you wouldn't have abandoned it in exchange for alliance with the kuffars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending