What was your Khutbah about?

Just differ theology wise but the core aspects for me remain the same i.e tawhid but also an emphasis on tasawuuf. Is it the same Islam practiced as it was 1400 years ago? No. It is more about gaining a path of attainment through mysticism you could say but based more on finding your inner peace through god. Niggas hear mysticism and immediately think praying on shrines etc... I dont do any of that daft shit. Dhikr is very important but I dont take it to far in that sense. Then again there are many type of sufism and its hard to just boil it down to one paragraph. For me sufism has been given a bad name by conservative salafs who takfir anyone and everyone and disregard that some of the great scholars of the past were also sufis. Essentially put attaining spirituality within sharia in some cases ( although I disagree with some aspects of this but this is my personal opinion) Its funny because Somalia historically had a great number of sufis but over the past 30 years with the spread of the cult of wahabbism its put an end to something that was integral to our culture.
I'm a bit ignorant on the finer details of Sufism but I have read the works of scholars such as Al Ghazali who wrote about Sufism. I respect and admire Al Ghazali so I'm open-minded generally when it comes to Sufis.

I'm a bit ignorant on the finer details of Sufism but I have read the works of scholars such as Al Ghazali who wrote about Sufism. I respect and admire Al Ghazali so I'm open-minded generally when it comes to Sufis.
Yep like I said some of the greatest scholars of the past understood the importance of tasawuuf. Its just modern consensus and the addition of wild shia sufi practices has given sufism a bad name.

Dhikr is fine but some corrections are for the better. I remember a story of a relative told me back in the early 80s he went to Baydhabo and prayed on the grave of a dead sheikh for a good exam results in Uni/better job prospects in Xamar. Now he knows it was an ignorant thing to do, since thats shirk.
Yeah I remember my pops once telling me that niggas would skip friday prayer and just pay the sheikh off like its some kinda bs Catholic priest shenanigans lol.

Are there any sources historically talking about mystic practices of Sufis in Somalia? I always thought that Sufism was more or less an umbrella term used by the west to describe any "liberal" muslim, and not a clearly defined practice in its own right. For example, people like Ibn Taymiyyah are highly regarded as sufis and yet he declared himself a sunni who followed the hanbali madhab.
Like I said its quite hard to describe because its such a vast topic as some can be quite liberal (myself included lol). When it comes to Somalia yet theres was a bit of jaahilness you could say i.e the story I explained that my pops told me. However mysticism like I explained before for me isn't visiting a grave or doing insane dhikr, it is finding inner peace. The bad rap of missing prayers/drinking etc and just being degenerates is because of the petrodollars influence. Not all sufis are wecels like me lol. For me salafism is devoid of any spirituality and kills the pleasures of being humans.

Edit: On your question about the past, ulema understood the need for spirtuality and tassawuf, its not something new and hippy dippy. Infact strict adherence to the texts like the salafs can be considered a new thing.

Last edited:
Are there any sources historically talking about mystic practices of Sufis in Somalia? I always thought that Sufism was more or less an umbrella term used by the west to describe any "liberal" muslim, and not a clearly defined practice in its own right. For example, people like Ibn Taymiyyah are highly regarded as sufis and yet he declared himself a sunni who followed the hanbali madhab.
There isn’t any difference between a Sunni or a Sufi. A Sufi is a Sunni Muslim who follows the tradition of Sufism (Tassawuf) and adheres to a Sufi order (Tariqah) just like a Salafi would follow Sunni Islam. They follow the 4 madhabs and many Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi’i and Hanbali scholars were Sufis themselves. Sufis aren’t monolithic, they vary in beliefs and practices depending on the orders (Tariqah’s) they follow.

“Far from being foreign to Islam, sufism – the science of spiritual excellence (‘ilm al-ihsan) and purification of the soul (tazkiyat al-nafs) – is a central aspect of the religion.”

Somalis were mostly Sufis and belonged to different orders which had different practices and beliefs (Qadiriyyah, Salihiyyah, Ahmadiyyah etc).

I haven’t seen evidence of Imam Ibn Taymiyyah being a Sufi but apparently he did praise the Qadiri Tariqah and referred to Imam Abdul Qadir al-Jilani as his “master.”

Ibn Taymiyyah: "The most noble of paths is the path that has come from my master, the Shaikh Abdul Qadir Al-Jilani."

054955D5-6249-4A6E-B766-AF3AD0985152.jpeg
07088935-FFD3-430C-BDB4-879B88B75E1F.jpeg

Last edited: