What was the reason for the muslims of ethiopia fighting alongside us in the Adal war ?

i dont know weather to take you serious somalis became farmers recently. harla's live in between harar and dir dawa. they dont live that central of ethiopia.

secondly you claim 'No darood near them' are you forgetting Geri koombe who live in harar and were the last one standing even when menlik invaded they still stood their ground. also Geri koombe have intermarried with the amirs of harar. harla are closest to their koombe brothers then to any other group in the horn. i have a harla relative he claims koombe darood

Issas were part of adal we formed our xeer and crowned our first ugaas in zeila after axmed gurey died in the 16th century

i showed you the adal sources because you claimed Geri came to Hararghe 300 years ago😂😂😂😂

Did you not read the documents geri & berteri started expanding during the beginning of second millennium. That is 1000 years ago sxb

Yes Richard does note Geri as being the most western branch of Darood but what does that go to do with your erroneous claim that you made by saying “Geri came to hararghe 300 years ago ”

the imam is not Karanle 😂 he’s most likely Geri I’m not even Geri but he’s most likely that tribe or Harla koombe but definitely not Karanle, Karanle are not even mentioned in futuh al habesh. The only mention is hawiye but other sub clans are mentioned clearly
Geri have always lived in the harar i put the map of harar as you can see the closest clan to Harar is Geri where is Karanle or Hawiye ?

where was Karanle when menilik invaded ? It was only Geri standing
Issas also took part in the battle of chelenqo....

We have a Geri brother on this forum who will tell you his people moved from the east near Somalia to the west in Hararghe in the last 300 years and started farming. Harla kingdom on the other hand was west of Harar and Baabili. I’m just bringing you facts. If you can convince me otherwise then go ahead. There were always Somali communities that were farming since pre historic days and lived in Hararghe.
Big mistake.Harla was one of the confederate states allied to ifat as early as the 13th century way before Harar and Adal existed. Your showing me Adal era futuh on one hand and on the other you showed me what I told you earlier which is Bartiire and Geri reached Hararghe from the east near Somalia just a few centuries ago and picked up farming. This is what Richard Burton noted in the 1800s and calls them and the Bartiire the “western most darood”. @GaradShabeel please inform us about the Geri.

Bro, I think you are mixing up. In the other thread, I didn’t mention that we settled 300 years ago in Hararghe from Somalia, but instead that it was around that time that most of us started picking up farming on a large scale in the region and became mainly sedentary by that time. Also, we’ve had presence in the Harar area for centuries, alongside Bartirre/Jidwaaq.

Harla were agrarian farmers. They were a confederate state allied with ifat during the 13th century some 700+ years ago. No darood anywhere near them look 👇

View attachment 292887View attachment 292888
And here are the clans today inhabiting the region. Mostly Hawiye and Dir. The Darood that joined the jihad came from further east near modern day Somalia. The Geri and Bartiire moved in to the region from the west and picked up farming. There is reason why Richard called the Dir tribes and Karanle as the most native in the region when he visited Harar.

View attachment 292908

I think it's quite obvious that one can not use a map depicting clans in the 2000s to use as a proof that Darood (or any other clan for that matter) didn't settle in a certain area x00 years ago.

Also, this clan map that you oftentimes use is very much inaccurate for most clans. I've seen several of them where people have edited each one to suit their own clans. The original one comes from I.M. Lewis, and it's better to use the first hand source as it paints a better view of the clan borders. Though, the civil war has brought some changes to the clan in Somalia and border areas.

Bro, I think you are mixing up. In the other thread, I didn’t mention that we settled 300 years ago in Hararghe from Somalia, but instead that it was around that time that most of us started picking up farming on a large scale in the region and became mainly sedentary by that time. Also, we’ve had presence in the Harar area for centuries, alongside Bartirre/Jidwaaq.
According to Richard Burton the Geri and Bartiire picked up farming only 3 centuries ago, which means they lived on the lowlands untill recently. The farming valley’s are Harar’s highlands.

According to Richard Burton the Geri and Bartiire picked up farming only 3 centuries ago, which means they lived on the lowlands untill recently. The farming valley’s are Harar’s highlands.

I have to go back and look. But if I recall correctly, we started farming on land we already had, and not new land we acquired. Which means that we were already settled there prior to 3 centuries ago and not recently.

I have to go back and look. But if I recall correctly, we started farming on land we already had, and not new land we acquired. Which means that we were already settled there prior to 3 centuries ago and not recently.
Please do check. I’m going to do some reading as well. Need to refresh my memory 🤣

World

VIP
Did he do scientific tests on the land to determine that date? I wouldn’t take what some random guy says seriously just because he’s white.

Since when did Richard burton claim that they started farming 3 centuries ago? Show me where he stated that

Since when did Richard burton claim that they started farming 3 centuries ago? Show me where he stated that

1694510491534.png

It was I.M. Lewis, not Richard Burton my bad. The Geri learnt farming through their recent links with client Jarso/Oromo farming tribes. But since I.M Lewis is not accurate, we cannot give a proper timestamp but we know Hawiye had no client farmers in the Harar region. There were Dube Sab farmers in Imey though.

1694510524601.png

It’s obvious the farming knowledge came from ancient hararis and by the early 19th century it was only practised by mixed oromo-somali groups surrounding the city. Even the Somalis of Gabiley did not pick up farming by this time. So depending on who integrated closest to the cities and interacted earliest with these groups they would have developed their agroeconomy sufficiently. Farming became more prominent when Ethiopia was formed in the late 19th century. Large cultivated territories were redistributed to force small scale crop workers to produce crops under closer scrutiny.

1694510588783.png

1694510602240.png

I M Lewis described Karanles as farmers and pastoralists, but describes the mixed northern Geri Jarso of Jigjiga as farmers and Geri Babili of Harar area as nomads while the traditional Geri is nomadic, so they would have adopted farming at some point with the Jarsos, most likely after Gureys wars since Jarso did not live north in the Jinacsaney area but rather came through the Oromo migration.

1694510642466.png

1694510656027.png

View attachment 293083

It was I.M. Lewis, not Richard Burton my bad. The Geri learnt farming through their recent links with client Jarso/Oromo farming tribes. But since I.M Lewis is not accurate, we cannot give a proper timestamp but we know Hawiye had no client farmers in the Harar region. There were Dube Sab farmers in Imey though.

View attachment 293084

It’s obvious the farming knowledge came from ancient hararis and by the early 19th century it was only practised by mixed oromo-somali groups surrounding the city. Even the Somalis of Gabiley did not pick up farming by this time. So depending on who integrated closest to the cities and interacted earliest with these groups they would have developed their agroeconomy sufficiently. Farming became more prominent when Ethiopia was formed in the late 19th century. Large cultivated territories were redistributed to force small scale crop workers to produce crops under closer scrutiny.

View attachment 293085

View attachment 293086

I M Lewis described Karanles as farmers and pastoralists, but describes the mixed northern Geri Jarso of Jigjiga as farmers and Geri Babili of Harar area as nomads while the traditional Geri is nomadic, so they would have adopted farming at some point with the Jarsos, most likely after Gureys wars since Jarso did not live north in the Jinacsaney area but rather came through the Oromo migration.

View attachment 293087

View attachment 293088
This is inaccurate I.m Lewis is not credible he even got the name mixed up with Bah Geri Ogaden & in the document he claims Geri is Ogaden

This is inaccurate I.m Lewis is not credible he even got the name mixed up with Bah Geri Ogaden & in the document he claims Geri is Ogaden
Your slow. Bah Geri is Ogaden. The last 2 sources i posted is from I M Lewis but his book isnt easily accessible as it use to be so i had to cut and crop the small bit of Info it mentions on Geri that shows they are cultivators when they live with Jarso

Your slow. Bah Geri is Ogaden. The last 2 sources i posted is from I M Lewis but his book isnt easily accessible as it use to be so i had to cut and crop the small bit of Info it mentions on Geri that shows they are cultivators when they live with Jarso
Your the one who’s slow I’ve just checked the book ur using, I.m Lewis claims Geri as Bah Geri Ogaden in the same .

since when did Geri become absame I.m Lewis is not reliable & your point still doesn’t stand
5675B32D-B800-4083-906F-25D633DA5731.jpeg